Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Remember Jorge Costa against Chelsea in 2002

2»

Comments

• Loved Jorge Costa. For some reason he always reminded me of a sort of tough guy private eye. I can still remember his first ever tackle for us which was a bone cruncher, that stopped whoever it was right in their tracks.
    Good times.
  • The best centre half I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt.

This for me. I was about 20 when we signed him. I know we only had him for a short while, but I just remember players simply being unable to get round him. Had nowhere as much pace as some of the forwards he was up against at the time, but his reading was so good that you never ever noticed it.

Crazy to think he came to us as a mid table prem outfit and then went on to lift the CL

Top, top player
  • edited March 2018

The tank. Loved every minute. Still remember him in tears when he came over to the away end after his last game at Old Trafford. 0-0 but he so nearly scored. He would have stayed if his wife had not just given birth and wanted to go home.

Then so very proud when he went on to lift both UEFA and Champions League trophies.
    (Will gloss over the World Cup performances!)

Yup, travelled up for that Man Utd game as well and remember only too well the reception he got at the end of that game. I think by then we all knew he wasn't going to stay and it was a fitting end to his time at Charlton.

What I also remember about that afternoon is the chant of "if Phil Neville plays for England so can I" echoing around Gold Trafford as he fell over yet again!
  • 3blokes said:

Loved Jorge Costa. For some reason he always reminded me of a sort of tough guy private eye. I can still remember his first ever tackle for us which was a bone cruncher, that stopped whoever it was right in their tracks.
    Good times.

Do remember a 50/50 with Jorge against Tim Sherwood I think but it was certainly against Spurs at the Valley, Jorge strolled away with the ball while Sherwood was still doing a somersault.One tough tackler was our Jorge :smiley:
  • We beat Chelsea four times in a row over that period. Jorge Costa was immense that game. Best centre half I've seen play for Charlton.

Seen some really great centre halves over the years but have to say he was the best.....his positional sense was second to none and he knew all the short cuts too. I never saw anyone out play him, he never had anything but an impressive game and more often than not was more than impressive, as in superb!
    I feel highly privileged to have seen him in an Addicks shirt.

I thought he was great too...a bit of talisman....but he did get totally done by the Walsall forward Jorge Leitao in the FA Cup debacle.
  • The tank. Loved every minute. Still remember him in tears when he came over to the away end after his last game at Old Trafford. 0-0 but he so nearly scored. He would have stayed if his wife had not just given birth and wanted to go home.

Then so very proud when he went on to lift both UEFA and Champions League trophies.

Yup, travelled up for that Man Utd game as well and remember only too well the reception he got at the end of that game. I think by then we all knew he wasn't going to stay and it was a fitting end to his time at Charlton.

What I also remember about that afternoon is the chant of "if Phil Neville plays for England so can I" echoing around Gold Trafford as he feel over yet again!
    Also sang about Lee Dixon at, I think, the friendly at The Valley which we won 2-1.
  • edited March 2018

The best centre half I've ever seen in a Charlton shirt.

Wow, just wow !! A good defender yes, but the best ??? As a previous poster said he was not blessed with pace & did commit a few fouls due to being outpaced. Might make my top 5, but would be behind

Rufus
    Pates
    Shirtliff
    Elliott
    Todd

and probably a couple more.

Andy Todd? You're not serious Golfie, are you?

Wow, just wow !! A good defender yes, but the best ??? As a previous poster said he was not blessed with pace & did commit a few fouls due to being outpaced. Might make my top 5, but would be behind

Rufus
    Pates
    Shirtliff
    Elliott
    Todd

Elliott as he was at Charlton or as he was for subsequent clubs? At Charlton I could see great promise but a lot of mistakes. We got better at the back when he left and Alan MacDonald signed.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't know if this is apochryphal or not. But I was told this;
    When he came to Charlton he was asked if he wanted to play golf with some of the team.
    He said I have a couple of clubs.
    He was told that's ok we'll lend you a set.
    He meant he owned a couple of clubs on the Algarve.

Rufus
    Pates
    Shirtliff
    Elliott
    Todd

Got to be a joke surely. No one can genuinely think Andy Todd was one of our best defenders, can they?
  • He applied for the Killies job last October.
  • The tank. Loved every minute. Still remember him in tears when he came over to the away end after his last game at Old Trafford. 0-0 but he so nearly scored. He would have stayed if his wife had not just given birth and wanted to go home.

When we were giving it large for Jorge after the game, I remember all the other players pointing at us and urging Jorge forward to take an individual bow. Anybody who doesn't get that he would rank amongst our best five 'overseas' players of all time is rather stupid.
  • We beat Chelsea four times in a row over that period. Jorge Costa was immense that game. Best centre half I've seen play for Charlton.

Seen some really great centre halves over the years but have to say he was the best.....his positional sense was second to none and he knew all the short cuts too. I never saw anyone out play him, he never had anything but an impressive game and more often than not was more than impressive, as in superb!

Loved Brownie....but a combination of Jorge and Rufus would be my ideal choice of centre back pairings in the 'modern' era at Charlton.
    anybody who saw them both play yet doesn't think this just wasn't paying attention
  • Costa was undoubtedly the best centre half I saw playing for Charlton.

Rufus
    Pates
    Shirtliff
    Elliott
    Todd

Maybe not in a back 4, but certainly as part of a back 5.
  • You are really ridiculous fella!
  • seth plum said:

The tank. Loved every minute. Still remember him in tears when he came over to the away end after his last game at Old Trafford. 0-0 but he so nearly scored. He would have stayed if his wife had not just given birth and wanted to go home.

When we were giving it large for Jorge after the game, I remember all the other players pointing at us and urging Jorge forward to take an individual bow. Anybody who doesn't get that he would rank amongst our best five 'overseas' players of all time is rather stupid.
    Simonsen
    E Firmani
    Hewie
    Jeppson
    Johansson before the knee injury
    Claus
    All better than Jorge but that doesn’t detract from how good Jorge was.

Please forgive any spelling errors.
  • Better than Hewie and JJ in that list, then again there's Stuart Leary
  • Sponsored links:

Rufus
    Pates
    Shirtliff
    Elliott
    Todd

To be fair... How many Charlton Defenders have gone on to win the Champions League AFTER playing for us?

Rufus
    Pates
    Shirtliff
    Elliott
    Todd

Maybe not in a back 4, but certainly as part of a back 5.
    Or 8.
  • He had some good games but also some poor ones- I recall Walsall in the cup and a home game against Villa. Good memories nonetheless - wish we could attract players of that quality now !
  • Simonsen said:

We beat Chelsea four times in a row over that period. Jorge Costa was immense that game. Best centre half I've seen play for Charlton.

I thought he was great too...a bit of talisman....but he did get totally done by the Walsall forward Jorge Leitao in the FA Cup debacle.
    He really did. Costa was a great player and conjures some great memories but I do think rose tinted specs are worn when we look back. He only played 15 or so games and make mistakes in them. Richard Rufus barely made a mistake in 100s of games.

Also, in Golf's defence, Andy Todd had a brilliant half a season for us in the early 2000s but obviously things went slightly tits up thereafter and that is what a lot of supporters recall.

• He was a good player but the rose-tinted specs definitely seem to be out for some. People must have forgotten his (at times) clumsy play and propensity for mix ups with Kiely.
  • At both Goodison & Old Trafford the opposition queued up at the end to shake the hand of JG. Clearly within the game he was highly respected. Can only recall one similar occasion - the Arsenal players queuing up to shake the hand of Di Canio at Highbury, as he was withdrawn by Curbs late in the game having given a wonderful 20 minute demonstration of breathtaking skill.
  • we have had players on loan who take months to get fit (and still are) The Tank walked straight onto the pitch playing against the best in the country and was in total command----without doubt one of the best players we have ever had and a good shout for the best loan player ever.

BANG ON CORRECT !
  • Got your picture on my wall, it reminds me that it's not so bad, not so bad.