Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Every word of Karl Robinson’s rallying cry with promotion run-in looming for Charlton

Comments

• edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Absolute rubbish - With the squad we've got it's remarkable that we're not AT LEAST in the play offs, let alone out of them. Plymouth are above us you buffoon.

I think we have a half decent squad, nothing better than that, thanks to Duchatelet: best players sold (Holmes, Lookman), not enough cover at right back (perhaps should have recruited one?), no midfield maestro/team leader, and one striker not known for scoring goals. Dead wood removed, wage bill slashed, no investment in new players (under 100K spent according to Karl - if that's proved to be a lie after he's been sacked then fair enough, but at this stage there's no proof, and I chose to believe him). Yes he might have spent on wages, but only if they were funded by savings on wages).

Roland must be thanking his lucky stars that some fans are blaming Karl for the woes of the team rather than him. Actually I doubt he even gives a shit about that.
    To have a squad that is set for the automatic promotion places you need a balance of youth and experience, you need some aggressive players who can mix it and cope with a battle, and you need the ability to score plenty of goals. Do you genuinely believe we have that squad?
    Personally I think we were heading for League Two with 'the squad we've got' a year and a half ago.

I think Karl has been lacking in flexibility with the formation he uses, tactics and team selection, but under the circumstances, he's not been the complete disaster that you seem to think imho, and he has at least steadied the ship in very difficult times.

Thanks in advance for the abuse that's coming lol.
    Yeah pretty much agree with all of this. Perhaps the one exception being that I thunk its less the lack of flexibility in tactics and more the lack of coaching ability to execute the tactics well enough. He tries to get his teams to play football and press, which is very hard in a division like this, and I think he and his staff are lacking when it comes to pulling off the style of play they're doing for.

But yeah, I don't think he's been a total disaster. I think recruitment has been very good. I respect the fact that he's trying to play good football, and I hope that our next managers picks up where he leaves off and that the way we're trying to play now becomes the way the club tries to play.

We produce youth team players (Konsa, Lookman, Gomez, Dijksteel*, Aribo*) who are good footballers, who can keep possession and play the ball on the deck. When you look at a lot of successful clubs, they have a way of playing from youth team to senior team. Not just Barcelona, but it's something the likes of Swansea did for many years as they moved up through the division. And I think one of the best things new owners could do would be to put a "Director of Football," or something of the like in place, whose job it is to make sure we're playing the same way from U-12 to seniors. Doesn't always have to be the same formation or the same tactics, but that we have joined up thinking as a football club.
  • edited March 2018
    How about playing the wrong formation at home which was found out pretty quickly!!!!
  • Translation: please don't sack me.
  • "The owner hasn't spoken to me for over a month, but I'm in daily contact with Red Henry"
  • JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Absolute rubbish - With the squad we've got it's remarkable that we're not AT LEAST in the play offs, let alone out of them. Plymouth are above us you buffoon.

I think we have a half decent squad, nothing better than that, thanks to Duchatelet: best players sold (Holmes, Lookman), not enough cover at right back (perhaps should have recruited one?), no midfield maestro/team leader, and one striker not known for scoring goals. Dead wood removed, wage bill slashed, no investment in new players (under 100K spent according to Karl - if that's proved to be a lie after he's been sacked then fair enough, but at this stage there's no proof, and I chose to believe him). Yes he might have spent on wages, but only if they were funded by savings on wages).

Roland must be thanking his lucky stars that some fans are blaming Karl for the woes of the team rather than him. Actually I doubt he even gives a shit about that.
    To have a squad that is set for the automatic promotion places you need a balance of youth and experience, you need some aggressive players who can mix it and cope with a battle, and you need the ability to score plenty of goals. Do you genuinely believe we have that squad?
    Personally I think we were heading for League Two with 'the squad we've got' a year and a half ago.

I think Karl has been lacking in flexibility with the formation he uses, tactics and team selection, but under the circumstances, he's not been the complete disaster that you seem to think imho, and he has at least steadied the ship in very difficult times.

Totally disagree - When you look at our back 5, it's up there with the best in the leauge and lets not forget the depth we have in defence either. Oh and we have a world cup winning england youth player knocking about too.

Moving to the midfield, Kashi is a champ player and JFC has been one of our best players this season, Aribo is also a solid player at this level.

Fosu would walk into any league one team on his form this season and when you couple that Holmes who we've had for the majortiy of the season and the fact we've taken Marshall and Reeves, Bradford and MK Don's best players. You cannot say we have an average squad in the slightest.

An average squad was the one with Semedo and Nicky Bailey that lost to Swindon in the playoff's.
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Edited from the original article:

'And let me tell you this, that @JamesSeed fellah, what a man, since I walked through the door he's been phenomonal, I say this because I want it known by everyone, Seedsy has been awesome week in week out and doesn't get the plaudits he deserves, what a man...blah blah....'

Well he's got something right at least
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Totally disagree - When you look at our back 5, it's up there with the best in the leauge and lets not forget the depth we have in defence either. Oh and we have a world cup winning england youth player knocking about too.

Moving to the midfield, Kashi is a champ player and JFC has been one of our best players this season, Aribo is also a solid player at this level.

Fosu would walk into any league one team on his form this season and when you couple that Holmes who we've had for the majortiy of the season and the fact we've taken Marshall and Reeves, Bradford and MK Don's best players. You cannot say we have an average squad in the slightest.

An average squad was the one with Semedo and Nicky Bailey that lost to Swindon in the playoff's.
    Sorry, our back five hasn't looked like it's up there with the best in the league apart from in a handful of matches, although we've not been helped by injuries.
    And I've noticed this season that many opponents' defenses seem to have no problem coping with our attackers at all.
    Fosu is our best offensive player when Mavididi is out, agreed. Marshall and Reeves have both struggled after serious injuries. Josh is a hard grafter. Holmes has gone.
    I see our squad as a top eight squad perhaps, top five if we had no injuries, maybe better than that.
    But our main weakness is our weakness. Athletic aggressive players with technical ability are very expensive. Technical players who are a bit lightweight are a lot cheaper. Hence our over abundance of rather lightweight technical players.

When and if we have some money I'm fairly sure the squad will be greatly strengthened. If we only changed the manager, the weaknesses that we have would still be exploited by squads less technically gifted than ours perhaps, but exploited nonetheless.
  • JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Sorry, our back five hasn't looked like it's up there with the best in the league apart from in a handful of matches.
    And I've noticed this season that many opponents' defenses seem to have no problem coping with our attackers at all.
    Fosu is our best offensive player when Mavididi is out, agreed. Marshall and Reeves have both struggled after serious injuries. Josh is a hard grafter. Holmes has gone.
    I see our squad as a top eight squad perhaps, top five if we had no injuries, maybe better than that.
    But our main weakness is our weakness. Athletic aggressive players with technical ability are very expensive. Technical players who are a bit lightweight are a lot cheaper. Hence our over abundance of rather lightweight technical players.

When and if we have some money I'm fairly sure the squad will be greatly strengthened. If we only changed the manager, the weaknesses that we have would still be exploited by squads less technically gifted than ours perhaps, but exploited nonetheless.
    A back five of Amos, Solly, Da Silva, Bauer, Pearce plus the likes of Sarr and Konsa in reserve to cover injuries should have been up there as one of the best in this League. So why has not been the case? Injuries to Bauer, Solly and Pearce during the season were covered with more than adequate replacements.
  • shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Sorry, our back five hasn't looked like it's up there with the best in the league apart from in a handful of matches.

A back five of Amos, Solly, Da Silva, Bauer, Pearce plus the likes of Sarr and Konsa in reserve to cover injuries should have been up there as one of the best in this League. So why has not been the case? Injuries to Bauer, Solly and Pearce during the season were covered with more than adequate replacements.
    Because Solly, Sarr, Lennon have all been fucking dreadful to be brutally honest this season.
  • shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Because Solly, Sarr, Lennon have all been fucking dreadful to be brutally honest this season.
    Didn't mention Lennon
  • shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Solly and Lennon I agree

Sarr is a decent defender
  • JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Sorry, our back five hasn't looked like it's up there with the best in the league apart from in a handful of matches, although we've not been helped by injuries.

Our back five should be up there with best in the league but they haven’t performed for one reason or another, they should be at least top three defenses in what is an horrendously weak league one, very easily.
  • shirty5 said:

shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Didn't mention Lennon
    He has been our cover though mate as 2 injured out that back four most of season.
  • shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Solly and Lennon I agree

Honestly disagree about Sarr being decent.
    Not just for the sake of arguing.
  • I like KR as a person and love his passion but Saturday was like one of those games we used to play against teams with more resources in the early curbishley days - they were much more than the sum of their parts and KR was powerless to stop them - it was hands up time and he has had a veiled attempt at saying his assistant and coach don't help either coz they've got no experience - so don't sack me, they'll be even worse !!!! I think a few more defeats and that could become a real possibility however as a last roll of the dice
  • shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Solly and Lennon I agree

Honestly disagree about Sarr being decent.
    Not just for the sake of arguing.
    Fair enough.
    But with Da silva out who would you play at left back
  • Sponsored links:

• shirty5 said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

JamesSeed said:

J BLOCK said:

Amos is good. Solly isn't playing well at all, Bauer and Pearce are in and out, but are a good combo when fit, but not brilliant. Dasilva is great going forward but not particularly good defensively and is understandably weak in the air. Which makes it a top 8 back five imho, perhaps top 5 when all fit and on form.
  • How about 3 at the back - Pearce konsa Bauer - with diksteel or Jackson as left wing back and solly right? JFK can sit with aribo and reeves in the middle - fosu can play off magennis - kalkai and Marshall to come on when teams tiring - mavidivi to replace anybody but fosu and aribo out of the front 4 when he comes back
  • Out of who we got in the squad I'm honestly stumped but would probably have to go with Konsa because of pace which is where we have been undone with Solly all season
  • DOUCHER said:

How about 3 at the back - Pearce konsa Bauer - with diksteel or Jackson as left wing back and solly right? JFK can sit with aribo and reeves in the middle - fosu can play off magennis - kalkai and Marshall to come on when teams tiring - mavidivi to replace anybody but fosu and aribo out of the front 4 when he comes back

IMO Jacko can't do wingback, get found out straight away.
    Wingback is sub 30yo position.
  • Top 5 squad, top 10 manager, top 2 receptionist, 2 bob owner

• The thing is with Karl Robinson, I bet he's good company to have a drink with. He's just.....

He epitomises modern day management, I know he wasn't able to have a playing career because of injury, and I know having a successful playing career doesn't mean you will be any good as a manager, he hasn't been there and done it though. I'll emphasise again it's not his fault and I genuinely admire where he has got to within the game but he is like the modern managers I get lumbered with at work. Sometimes decent people but they are exam educated managers who have no idea what doing the job for real is like, the day to day hassles that as a foot soldier you get on with, even as a senior foot soldier you know the daily battles that need to be had to get the job done yet I am constantly having to spend 6 months educating someone who has maybe rightly got the opportunity but who is useless at managing human beings and a huge part of that is not having done the job and been on the receiving end of idiotic management.

Win the fucking games Karl, you knew damn well the mess the club was in when you took the job. Be dynamic, be flexible, that sort of shit is definitely taught at management college or one of god knows how many courses.
  • New owners should be here soon.
    Hopefully we won't have to listen to Robinson talking bollox for much longer.

You'll probably be saying this in twelve months time.
  • From the newshopper

"We’ve worked very hard to get ourselves in this position, we’re a few points off the play-offs with two games in hand. With all the rubbish that’s gone on this year in relation to the injuries, it’s quite remarkable that we’ve put ourselves in a position to be competitive.

All of the things I’ve done as a manager, this has been as hard a 12 months as I’ve gone through.

I want to give [player-coach] Johnnie Jackson and [assistant manager] Lee Bowyer a special mention because they've been unbelievable. Don't forget, you've got Lee Bowyer who’s never done this before and Johnnie Jackson who’s in a new role. These two people have been thrown into the deep end with some of the worst luck we've had [with injuries] in a long time.

You've got [head of medical services] Alastair Thrush, [sports scientist] Josh Hornby, [physiotherapist] Adam Coe, [strength and conditioning coach] Ian Jones [assistant therapist] Steve Jackson, Lee Turner our goalkeeping coach and Chris Jones our club doctor. It’s important I mention these people. They've been absolutely brilliant. They've had this hard as well. I want to mention how important they are and I want people to understand how hard these people have worked to drive us forward.

That goes through Lianne at reception, [player liaison officer] Tracey Leaburn, [club secretary] Chris Parkes and Brett Shaw our analyst. Also, Steve Gallen on the recruitment side. They have worked so hard. They've all been unbelievable. I hope we get the success these people deserve.

Fans will be frustrated with results. What we speak to you about, I’ve never ever, ever, not taken responsibility when I think we've done something wrong. At this moment in time, it [the injuries] is out of my control, it’s out of my staff’s control but we do have control over the players that are fit.

We’re going to need the fans to get behind them. We’re going to lose some games and we’re going to have poor performances. But at this moment in time, we can’t let this [injuries] affect us.

We’ve got to make sure we stay on the front foot. I’ll try to do the best I can. The takeover is not far away, there are so many things going on.

Walking into this football club over 12 months ago, it was all over the place. We sit here in a much healthier position. We were worried about relegation this time last year, now we’re talking about competing to get out of the league and we’re in the midst of a takeover.

So, over £10m in player sales, and we’re in a very, very good position. Our squad is young and fresh, it will get better. It’s a better team than 12 months ago.

We are giving everything we possibly have. And I know the players are doing the exact same thing as well."

• From the newshopper

"We’ve worked very hard to get ourselves in this position, we’re a few points off the play-offs with two games in hand. With all the rubbish that’s gone on this year in relation to the injuries, it’s quite remarkable that we’ve put ourselves in a position to be competitive.

All of the things I’ve done as a manager, this has been as hard a 12 months as I’ve gone through.

I want to give [player-coach] Johnnie Jackson and [assistant manager] Lee Bowyer a special mention because they've been unbelievable. Don't forget, you've got Lee Bowyer who’s never done this before and Johnnie Jackson who’s in a new role. These two people have been thrown into the deep end with some of the worst luck we've had [with injuries] in a long time.

You've got [head of medical services] Alastair Thrush, [sports scientist] Josh Hornby, [physiotherapist] Adam Coe, [strength and conditioning coach] Ian Jones [assistant therapist] Steve Jackson, Lee Turner our goalkeeping coach and Chris Jones our club doctor. It’s important I mention these people. They've been absolutely brilliant. They've had this hard as well. I want to mention how important they are and I want people to understand how hard these people have worked to drive us forward.

That goes through Lianne at reception, [player liaison officer] Tracey Leaburn, [club secretary] Chris Parkes and Brett Shaw our analyst. Also, Steve Gallen on the recruitment side. They have worked so hard. They've all been unbelievable. I hope we get the success these people deserve.

Fans will be frustrated with results. What we speak to you about, I’ve never ever, ever, not taken responsibility when I think we've done something wrong. At this moment in time, it [the injuries] is out of my control, it’s out of my staff’s control but we do have control over the players that are fit.

We’re going to need the fans to get behind them. We’re going to lose some games and we’re going to have poor performances. But at this moment in time, we can’t let this [injuries] affect us.

We’ve got to make sure we stay on the front foot. I’ll try to do the best I can. The takeover is not far away, there are so many things going on.

Walking into this football club over 12 months ago, it was all over the place. We sit here in a much healthier position. We were worried about relegation this time last year, now we’re talking about competing to get out of the league and we’re in the midst of a takeover.

So, over £10m in player sales, and we’re in a very, very good position. Our squad is young and fresh, it will get better. It’s a better team than 12 months ago.

We are giving everything we possibly have. And I know the players are doing the exact same thing as well."

If you think this speech is rubbish, wait till you hear the s*** Wenger will churn out after City beat them 3-0 tonight.

3 goals in 18 minutes, 3-0 after 33 minutes.
  • Carter said:

The thing is with Karl Robinson, I bet he's good company to have a drink with. He's just.....

He epitomises modern day management, I know he wasn't able to have a playing career because of injury, and I know having a successful playing career doesn't mean you will be any good as a manager, he hasn't been there and done it though. I'll emphasise again it's not his fault and I genuinely admire where he has got to within the game but he is like the modern managers I get lumbered with at work. Sometimes decent people but they are exam educated managers who have no idea what doing the job for real is like, the day to day hassles that as a foot soldier you get on with, even as a senior foot soldier you know the daily battles that need to be had to get the job done yet I am constantly having to spend 6 months educating someone who has maybe rightly got the opportunity but who is useless at managing human beings and a huge part of that is not having done the job and been on the receiving end of idiotic management.

Win the fucking games Karl, you knew damn well the mess the club was in when you took the job. Be dynamic, be flexible, that sort of shit is definitely taught at management college or one of god knows how many courses.

Got told by a relative who worked for sky when he first came on board he is an absolute blinding fella to have a beer with.

Treated everyone equally, listened to everyone, spoke to everyone and spent most of night in the hotel having a drink and few stories (pre CAFC)