Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Bridge Too Far - and other WW2 movies

Comments

• Options
    All filmed in Turville
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Missed It said:

On the Japanese view, I'd recommend "Grave of the Fireflies" and "In This Corner of the World".

"Grave of the Fireflies" is actually getting a one day showing at Picturehouse cinemas next month. Bring a hanky though, it is beautiful and brutal in equal measure.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best movies I've seen of any style and genre. I'd call it harrowing rather than brutal.
    Yes, you're right. Perhaps not the right word to describe the actual film. I was trying to convey the emotional impact it had on me
    It is a superb film.
  • Options
    Beat me to it Dave
  • Options

Location of filming?

Correct. Turville in Bucks
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    no mention of 'Patton'?

George C Scott was brilliant as the slightly maverick US general.

trailer
  • Options
    Just watched Sink the Bismarck on film on 4.

They don't make them like that anymore!
  • Options

no mention of 'Patton'?

George C Scott was brilliant as the slightly maverick US general.

trailer

@NapaAddick and I have indeed given Patton a good mention. An outstanding performance by George C Scott.

• Options
    edited March 2018

Same here, never knew Johnny Briggs (Mike Baldwin) was in it.
  • Options

I missed that! What part was he playing?
  • Options
    Enemy at the Gates
    Battle of Britain
    Cockleshell Heroes

Great afternoon watching movies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    not sure if mentioned but a few films from a slightly different angle...

Lore
    Ivan's Childhood
    Life is Beautiful
  • Options
    Always liked the guns of navaron myself, sorry for any iffy spelling.
  • Options

I missed that! What part was he playing?
    Only a very small part as a sailor (unsurprisingly) on The Prince of Wales
  • Options
    Not a WW2 movie, but "Paths of Glory" is an amazing movie about war.
  • Options
    Jim Booth.
    What a guy.

Joe Isaacs, utter scum.
    I wouldnt let him out, ever.
    I'd put him in stocks every day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-44251943

A man who attacked a 96-year-old D-Day veteran with a claw hammer has been found guilty of attempted murder and sentenced to 20 years.

Joseph Isaacs, 40, of no fixed address, shouted "money, money, money" as he repeatedly hit Jim Booth.

Mr Booth spent nine days in hospital after the raid at his home in Taunton.

He said later he should have known how to deal with the assault, because he had been in the special services, but was now too old.

'Utterly senseless'
    Isaacs had previously admitted a
  • Options
    Totally agree , hope that lowlife gets sorted out inside.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

not sure if mentioned but a few films from a slightly different angle...

Lore
    Ivan's Childhood
    Life is Beautiful

Life is beautiful is a special film. My 17 year old son, who would not normally watch anything with subtitles got into it and loved it. He recently bought a copy on ebay for his girlfriend.
  • Options

I watched The Guns of Naverone for the first time since I was a kid the other day. Not sure if it’s historically correct or anything but to my mind it’s a very good film.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guns_of_Navarone_(film)

Great film.
  • Options
    cblock said:

Totally agree , hope that lowlife gets sorted out inside.

Quite a significant number of prison staff are ex military.....need I say more.
  • Options
    Surprised Schindler’s List hasn’t got more of a mention.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It has a few mentions.
  • Options

It has a few mentions.

Oh good......I must admit I didn’t plough through the entire thread.
  • Options
    For me, The Longest Day is the greatest war film, although the colour version doesn't seem to exist on DVD. The Battle of Britain is also excellent, as is Sea Of Sand with Dickie Attenborough.
  • Options
    Just revisiting this thread and saw the last post about The Longest Day. Don’t remember a colour version but I’m convinced that there is both a ‘subtitled’ and an ‘English Language ‘ version out there where scenes were reshot with German and French characters speaking in English. I’ve on got the German/French language subtitle version.

(As an aside, as I’ve got to travel to Toulouse tomorrow - bloody nightmare if the takeover happens buying ST’s on a mobile from the middle of nowhere - I was recalling a few years ago flying over the Normandy beaches shortly after watching the film and it really brought it to life)
  • Options
    I vistied the Normandy beaches many years ago and The Longest Day became even more engrossing for doing so. The bravery of the troops was incredible.
  • Options

I vistied the Normandy beaches many years ago and The Longest Day became even more engrossing for doing so. The bravery of the troops was incredible.

I had a similar feeling when I visited Dunkirk many years ago. Just looking at the openness of the beaches really hit home.
    Brave brave men indeed.

• Options
    Jumping to the end of the thread here. Sorry if it has been mentioned but has anyone got any up to date news on the remake of the Dambusters?

It's seems a few years ago now that I first heard this might happen. Stephen Fry was involved with writing the script, there was debate about what to call Guy Gibson's black Labrador etc........

I could (and should) probably google but often the info. on here is better.
  • Options
    25May98 said:

Jumping to the end of the thread here. Sorry if it has been mentioned but has anyone got any up to date news on the remake of the Dambusters?

It's seems a few years ago now that I first heard this might happen. Stephen Fry was involved with writing the script, there was debate about what to call Guy Gibson's black Labrador etc........

I could (and should) probably google but often the info. on here is better.

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/adam-helliker/798365/Adam-Helliker-Dam-Busters-Peter-Jackson-remake
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    My slight problem with this is that the original film was terrific. Why remake it? I'd be surprised if the new film is better! if they don't keep the music it will have no chance from the start!
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Thinking of great War Movie music and a great war movie, my mind moved to 633 Squadron. The Spitfire was a great plane but the Mosquito was up there with it and looked stunning. And it was built in the town that I live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBvqBuesKg