Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A Bridge Too Far - and other WW2 movies

Comments

• razil said:

Watching it this afternoon.

Surprised to read the Dickie Atenbrough epic is very historically accurate in many ways. Exception being Montys role in the disaster which is overlooked in the film. Tiger tanks were mock ups. Very few non Sherman tanks not sure how accurate that is.

Fascinating period in history the war in Europe after d day.

Huge cast too.

They are not Tigers - they are Leopord 1's, post war German Cold War tanks

Lots of the Shermans are land rovers with wooden tank bodies on top - you can see their wheels in some bits of the film
    And they used Harvard trainers instead of Typhoons - not that there any flying examples of the latter about. They could’ve used Spitfires instead which would’ve looked right at least.
  • Some great films mentioned. Another vote for The Pianist from me. Totally harrowing.
  • Run silent run deep
    Odd angry shot
    Ungentlemanly act
    Band of brothers (series)
    Lawrence
    Gallipoli
  • The original All Quiet on the Western Front is good.
  • Where eagles dare every time.
  • Has to be Cross of Iron for me.

DEMARKATION

DEMARKATION
  • edited February 2018
    Does Raiders count? Not very warry but also set in 1936, yes it has the Nazis but even so
  • Foreign films,....... Divided We Fall, Life is Beautiful and Fateless.
  • As a son of a stoker I always loved the navy films but Cruel Sea & In Which We Serve stood out. Cruel Sea also has Sam Kydd in who was a family hero for some unknown reason.

Other films not mentioned that I always watch include Cross of Iron, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death. But then again I like most of Powell & Pressburger's films.

Sam Kydd documentary on talking pictures the other day was taken prisoner at Dunkirk spend the whole war as pow.

My dad was in the bomb disposal during the war so love Danger UXB.

All so loved A matter of life and death.
  • Yeah cant beat the Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far as WW2 films... Like to add:

The Longest Day
    Dunkirk (both old and new versions)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

Am sure there are others that exist that I rate just as highly yet am terrible when it comes to remembering things off the top of my head.

In regards to A Bridge too Far though, isnt the film based on the book by Cornelius Ryan which was more of a Non-Fiction account of the battle rather than a Fictional version?

Cornelius also wrote the Longest Day both books are better than films.

Best WW2 book the Naked Island by Russell Braddon by a mile
  • Sponsored links:

• A Midnight Clear is an excellent WWII movie. Well worth tracking down on DVD.
  • There are war films and there are war time films. In the latter category (and a bit of the first as well) Casablanca must be up there.
  • bobmunro said:

There are war films and there are war time films. In the latter category (and a bit of the first as well) Casablanca must be up there.

Without doubt
  • Yeah cant beat the Battle of Britain and A Bridge too Far as WW2 films... Like to add:

The Longest Day
    Dunkirk (both old and new versions)
    Saving Private Ryan
    Battle of the Bulge
    Enemy at the Gates
    Pearl Harbor

Am sure there are others that exist that I rate just as highly yet am terrible when it comes to remembering things off the top of my head.

In regards to A Bridge too Far though, isnt the film based on the book by Cornelius Ryan which was more of a Non-Fiction account of the battle rather than a Fictional version?

The opening scenes to Saving Private Ryan are absolutely horrendous, had the privilege of visiting the Normandy beaches before I saw the film....if you are into WW2 history it's a must place to visit, so glad I went there.
  • Letters from Iwo Jima not got a mention yet? Good movie and probably better than its companion piece Flags of Our Fathers.
  • On the Japanese view, I'd recommend "Grave of the Fireflies" and "In This Corner of the World".

"Grave of the Fireflies" is actually getting a one day showing at Picturehouse cinemas next month. Bring a hanky though, it is beautiful and brutal in equal measure.
  • Bridge on the River Kwai great movie also the most popular film in Japan in 1958
  • As a son of a stoker I always loved the navy films but Cruel Sea & In Which We Serve stood out. Cruel Sea also has Sam Kydd in who was a family hero for some unknown reason.

Other films not mentioned that I always watch include Cross of Iron, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death. But then again I like most of Powell & Pressburger's films.

Sam Kydd documentary on talking pictures the other day was taken prisoner at Dunkirk spend the whole war as pow.

Quite a lot of the great actors i used to watch on TV when I was a kid served in some capacity during the war, I like to read Biography's/Autobiography's , Leslie Philips , Arthur lowe , Sid James , you get my drift, there is a great bit about the late Peter Butterworth who was shot down during the war and tells of a little part in a film he went for but didn't get, I have just cut and paste the clip below .

Whilst at Stalag Luft III he met Talbot Rothwell, who later went on to write many of the Carry On films in which Butterworth was to star.[2] Rothwell and Butterworth formed a duet and sang in the camp shows, where booing and catcalls covered the sounds of an escape tunnel being dug by other prisoners. Butterworth was one of the vaulters covering for the escapers during the escape portrayed by the book and film The Wooden Horse. Butterworth later auditioned for the film in 1949 but "didn't look convincingly heroic or athletic enough" according to the makers of the film
  • Haven't seen nearly enough of these films, especially as a History grad.

Thought the newest Dunkirk was brilliant, some people my age don't seem to have totally understood it and expected visceral fighting throughout like you see in Hacksaw Ridge but the way they built up the tension and maintained it in a film with a relatively slow pace I thought was excellent. Definitely need to rewatch it.

Think Band of Brothers is incredible, although overly focuses on the Americans in parts such as Battle of the Bulge, and when us Brits are in it they give us ridiculous comic book accents. Always pees me off that does.

Thought the newest Dunkirk was brilliant, some people my age don't seem to have totally understood it and expected visceral fighting throughout like you see in Hacksaw Ridge but the way they built up the tension and maintained it in a film with a relatively slow pace I thought was excellent. Definitely need to rewatch it.

Think Band of Brothers is incredible, although overly focuses on the Americans in parts such as Battle of the Bulge, and when us Brits are in it they give us ridiculous comic book accents. Always pees me off that does.

Band of Brothers is one of the best ever Mini-Series... the Pacific was good yet not quite as good

Spielberg doing another one based on the USAF which is slowly progressing:

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html
  • Sponsored links:

Band of Brothers is one of the best ever Mini-Series... the Pacific was good yet not quite as good

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/featured/hbos-mighty-eighth-update-getting-close.html
    Meant to ask about The Pacific, never seen that either but always meant to, although heard mixed reports about how good it is.
  • Kubrick made one of the great war films about the Great War, Paths of Glory. Strictly speaking, it's an anti-war film but it's still great.
  • Mrs Miniver.

No, really. Check it out

Agreed.
  • Apocalypse Now
    The Deer Hunter
    Coming Home
    Forest Gump

Great Vietnam films

(not Good Morning Vietnam)
  • Sinking of the Bismark. Bridge on the river Kwai. 633 Squadron. Escape from Colditz. Great Escape. Saving Private Ryan. Schindlers List. Dunkirk.

If by Sinking of the Bismark you mean Sink the Bismarck! with Kenneth More, I agree with you with one caveat. The totally inaccurate sinking of a British destroyer the night before Bismarck gets sunk is totally unnecessary.
  • The Pacific is very good. The sheer desperation and savagery of fighting for those islands is brilliantly laid out in front of you.

B of Bros i agree is a classic along with Saving PR.

I know the answer is money but i would love to see the British side portrayed like the above in a major TV mini-series.

As for a black and white 1940-50's British war film. I can think of nothing better than sitting on a sofa in a warm room basking in the magnificence of daring do and heroism on a cold Sunday afternoon.
  • Missed It said:

On the Japanese view, I'd recommend "Grave of the Fireflies" and "In This Corner of the World".

"Grave of the Fireflies" is actually getting a one day showing at Picturehouse cinemas next month. Bring a hanky though, it is beautiful and brutal in equal measure.

Grave of the Fireflies is one of the best movies I've seen of any style and genre. I'd call it harrowing rather than brutal.

Meant to ask about The Pacific, never seen that either but always meant to, although heard mixed reports about how good it is.
    The Pacific is good, but it suffers from being based on three separate books and different campaigns. It doesn't connect together so well over the 10 episodes. It's still well worth your time though. Eugene Sledge's book "With the Old Breed", which the Peleliu and Okinawa episodes are based on, is an excellent read.

People inevitably compare it with Band of Brothers which was based on the Stephen Ambrose book of the same name and follows a single unit through from D-Day to the end the war. It just makes for a more coherent narrative and stronger emotional connection for the viewer with the individual soldiers.
  • I think one of the best WW11 films is Bridge on the river Kwai one of the few films to concentrate on the plight of prisoners of war in The Far East and of course has one of Alec Guinness's greatest performances. Has anyone see Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence? Brilliant movie on the same theme with a very good performance from David Bowie.

• fadgadget said:

As a son of a stoker I always loved the navy films but Cruel Sea & In Which We Serve stood out. Cruel Sea also has Sam Kydd in who was a family hero for some unknown reason.

Quite a lot of the great actors i used to watch on TV when I was a kid served in some capacity during the war, I like to read Biography's/Autobiography's , Leslie Philips , Arthur lowe , Sid James , you get my drift, there is a great bit about the late Peter Butterworth who was shot down during the war and tells of a little part in a film he went for but didn't get, I have just cut and paste the clip below .

Whilst at Stalag Luft III he met Talbot Rothwell, who later went on to write many of the Carry On films in which Butterworth was to star.[2] Rothwell and Butterworth formed a duet and sang in the camp shows, where booing and catcalls covered the sounds of an escape tunnel being dug by other prisoners. Butterworth was one of the vaulters covering for the escapers during the escape portrayed by the book and film The Wooden Horse. Butterworth later auditioned for the film in 1949 but "didn't look convincingly heroic or athletic enough" according to the makers of the film
    I petty sure Richard Todd plays his own CO in the longest day he was a para officer taking a bridge and holding until the landing force can get to them.