Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

A Bridge Too Far - and other WW2 movies

Comments

• Options
    I was Monty`s Double .
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

I was Monty`s Double .

Spike Milligan?
  • Options
    “Broadsword calling Danny Boy.”

My mum took me to see Where Eagles Dare. I told her she didn’t need to, I was 28. :smile:
  • Options

If you can put up with the adverts and general screwing up with your browser, this is quite an interesting list of the fifty best WW2 films.

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/50-best-world-war-ii-movies

With Escape to Victory at number 49, you have to wonder how bad the film at 50 is.

Definite LoL there! Mrs Cat hates both football and war films but bizarrely likes Escape to Victory. Personally I think it’s shit.
  • Options

fadgadget said:

I was Monty`s Double .

Spike Milligan?
    Adolf Hitler: My Part in His Downfall
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

I was Monty`s Double .

Spike Milligan?
    Yep that was it
  • Options
    As a son of a stoker I always loved the navy films but Cruel Sea & In Which We Serve stood out. Cruel Sea also has Sam Kydd in who was a family hero for some unknown reason.

Other films not mentioned that I always watch include Cross of Iron, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death. But then again I like most of Powell & Pressburger's films.
  • Options

As a son of a stoker I always loved the navy films but Cruel Sea & In Which We Serve stood out. Cruel Sea also has Sam Kydd in who was a family hero for some unknown reason.

Other films not mentioned that I always watch include Cross of Iron, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp and A Matter of Life and Death. But then again I like most of Powell & Pressburger's films.

Great choices
  • Options
    @Addick Addict
    “The Battle of the Bulge is annoying in that it completely ignores everyone but the Yanks on the allied side”

My granddad was in the Royal Engineers at the real one. The film annoyed him.
    He reckoned it was the coldest he had ever been.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kellys Heroes does it for me. Donald Sunderland at his best. Love the soundtrack too.
  • Options
    If I may be allowed some shameless self-publicity, I blogged about war movies a couple of years back - not just WW2 though.

http://blitzwalkers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/real-to-reel.html?m=1
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

fadgadget said:

I was Monty`s Double .

Spike Milligan?
    Spikes war memoirs - That one plus ‘Rommel? Gunner Who?’ ‘Musolini, His Part in My Downfall’ and ‘Where Have All The Bullets Gone’ are the funniest books I’ve ever read (and also very poignant).

The only books I’ve ever read that made me laugh out loud uncontrollably - I used to get some strange looks on the train up to town every morning whilst reading them (I think/hope it was the laughing that caused the strange looks).

Another favourite WW2 film that has just come to mind in Twelve O’Clock High - classic perspective on the horrors of war and the effect it had on leadership.

• Options
    The Cockleshell Heroes
  • Options
    Hope and Glory is an absolute masterpiece of a film. It is how most of us would like to think how being a young boy growing up in WW2 would be.
  • Options
    Ice Cold in Alex is a great film.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Mrs Miniver.

No, really. Check it out
  • Options
    Dambusters and 633 squadron weren’t to bad.
  • Options

Dambusters and 633 squadron weren’t to bad.

F***ng brilliant.

Ice Cold in Alex and Dunkirk (1958 version ) my favourites.
  • Options
    Sinking of the Bismark. Bridge on the river Kwai. 633 Squadron. Escape from Colditz. Great Escape. Saving Private Ryan. Schindlers List. Dunkirk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Forgot to add Hacksaw Ridge

Very good WW2 in terms of recent releases
  • Options
    Cross of Iron
    Downfall
    In which we Serve
  • Options
    2 special mentions for:

Casablanca and Empire of the Sun, again looking at it from a different perspective.
  • Options
    Thanks, AddicksAddict, I had somehow missed that list. Some of my favorite movies there.

Their No.1 is also mine.

One of my favorite WWII movies not mentioned in their list or on this thread is The Unknown Soldier (1955) directed by Edvin Laine. It is hard to find but war movie buffs should look out for it.

Just realised their list omits The Way to the Stars (1945) directed by Anthony Asquith. Surely not a deliberate omission?
  • Options
    Generation War is a superb 3 part series, it's in German but with subtitles and follows 5 german friends during the German advance into Russia.
    It's on Netflix and is extremely well made and shows the suffering from the German side as well.
    True story as well.
  • Options
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Enemy at the Gates
    Stalingrad
  • Options
    Heroes of Telemark - leading contender in that whole WW2 Skiing genre...
  • Options
    Patton is the best WW2 movie I've ever seen. And Saving Private Ryan is by FAR the most over-rated one, for me.
  • Options

Patton is the best WW2 movie I've ever seen. And Saving Private Ryan is by FAR the most over-rated one, for me.

Thank you, NA - I thought I was going to be the only Patton enthusiast. A truly remarkable film (and subject).

Not a war film in the conventional sense but Shoah (Claud Lanzmann) is an absolutely extraordinary film (and not just because it's nine hours long).
  • Options
    razil said:

Watching it this afternoon.

Surprised to read the Dickie Atenbrough epic is very historically accurate in many ways. Exception being Montys role in the disaster which is overlooked in the film. Tiger tanks were mock ups. Very few non Sherman tanks not sure how accurate that is.

Fascinating period in history the war in Europe after d day.

Huge cast too.

They are not Tigers - they are Leopord 1's, post war German Cold War tanks

Lots of the Shermans are land rovers with wooden tank bodies on top - you can see their wheels in some bits of the film