Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Cricket Tour of New Zealand, 2017/18 (with no cricket in 2017)

Comments

• Options
    15 off the last over to be bowled by Woakes

Williamson facing
  • Options
    dot ball to start
  • Options
    2 scored

13 off 4
  • Options
    Then Williamson flat bats a 6

7 off 3
  • Options
    2 runs

5 off 2
  • Options
    No run

A 6 to win
    A 4 to tie
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Great wide yorker by Woakes

We win by 4 runs
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Williamson with 112 not out should be MOM by a country mile and I hope that they don't give it to one of ours just because we won
  • Options

Great wide yorker by Woakes

We win by 5 runs

Nice one! 2-1 up in the series now. Thanks for the updates :+1:
  • Options
    Yeeeeha!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moeen Ali awarded man of the match. Pleased for him but everyone knows it should've gone to Williamson.
  • Options
    Was a great finish to the game. Really exciting. I do enjoy a low scoring ODI
  • Options

Moeen Ali awarded man of the match. Pleased for him but everyone knows it should've gone to Williamson.

I really struggle with this attitude that they have to give it to someone on the winning side. 18 wickets were taken and no one else in the match managed to even get a 50 - his 112 was a masterclass in batting in difficult conditions and he was let down by the fact that only Santner managed to stay with him.
  • Options
    I thought it was an excellent match that England deserved to win. Whilst Williamson batted very well he wasn't good enough to score the necessary runs. A bit like Gary Ballance.
  • Options

I thought it was an excellent match that England deserved to win. Whilst Williamson batted very well he wasn't good enough to score the necessary runs. A bit like Gary Ballance.

He 'wasn't good enough'? You're talking about one of the best in the world. Of course he was good enough, he just didn't - the last two shots weren't to plan. But of course he's good enough. The Ballance comparison is perfidy, slander, bunkum and libel
  • Options
    Leuth said:

He 'wasn't good enough'? You're talking about one of the best in the world. Of course he was good enough, he just didn't - the last two shots weren't to plan. But of course he's good enough. The Ballance comparison is perfidy, slander, bunkum and libel
    Williamson is an excellent Test player, but he's not as effective in one dayers. Hence he poodled along to his 100 & NZ lost.
  • Options
    Poodled. Was a dog involved?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Goes off to look up the word ‘perfidy’
  • Options

He averages 47 with a strike rate of 83
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Leuth said:

Whisper it, but I think I meant to write 'calumny'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Roy back to his best, one good innings, then return to the usual single digit scores. I honestly don’t know why we persist with him?

Roy's scored just 174 in his last 10 England innings but his most obviously replacement, Hales, hasn't been doing much better with 173 in his last 9 goes. Malan is in better form than either of them but, whilst the team is winning more often than not, he won't be allowed to leapfrog them 'til they have been given more than enough time to fail.
    Didn't realise he'd been so prolific.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

He averages 47 with a strike rate of 83
    And Ballance averages 21 at 67 so that just about ends the comparison.

At 106-6 Williamson carried NZ to the final ball of the match and should have been MOM.
  • Options
    Williamson is considered one of the "big four" of the current game alongside Root, Smith and Kohli.

Although he'd probably be my last choice if I could only pick one, I think comparisons to Gary Ballance are harsh.
  • Options

Williamson is considered one of the "big four" of the current game alongside Root, Smith and Kohli.

Although he'd probably be my last choice if I could only pick one, I think comparisons to Gary Ballance are harsh.

They're are not harsh, they are ridiculous. It's like comparing Yann Kermorgant with Pawel Abbott
  • Options
    Leuth said:

MrOneLung said:

Leuth said:

Whisper it, but I think I meant to write 'calumny'
    Sighs and retires to the drawing room to retrieve the dictionary from the shelf once more.
  • Options
    I agree slightly that Williamson perhaps took a little long to get to the ton. I can see the point that sometimes players can be a little selfish in getting a milestone and it can affect their teams totals. Was certainly the case with Trott on a couple of occasions.

But I think Williamson's innings on a difficult track was superb, and if he had tried to accelerate the run rate earlier and got out then England would have won by more than 4 runs.
  • Options
    Aussie well on top of S Africa, 400+ ahead
  • Options
    Willliamson scored a great ton and is a class player - however Ali turned the game with his bowling and won it for England with that three-wicket burst so the MOM is fair enough.
  • Options

Anyone know when the dates for the Sri Lanka tour will be released? Really fancy popping over for some of that.

Yes, me too, though I might have to do the ODIs in Kandy due to a business event in November that I ought to attend. This is what I received from Red Dot Tours who organised tickets for me last time I saw England in Sri Lanka.

Test Matches

Galle (6th to 10th November 2018), Kandy (14th to 18th November 2018) and Colombo (23rd to 27th November 2018).

ODIs

Dambulla (10th October 2018), Dambulla (14th October 2018), Kandy (17th October 2018), Kandy (20th October 2018) and Colombo (24th October 2018).

T20

Colombo (27th October 2018).

Cheers for this. Looks like the first 4 ODIs for me and then back out for two days of the Colombo test.