Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CAFC 0 SHREWS 2 - 24/02/2018 POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    valleyfan said:

Absolute shit, forget about playoffs
    Stand out shit - Kalkaie, worst I have ever seen in the shirt.
    Robinson, has to go asap, clueless tosser !!!

Who the f is Kalkaie
  • Options

Dodged this one. I kept saying before how I think people overrate our players and used Shrewsbury as the example that we probably don't even have better players than theirs, no disrespect to them just based on budgets and club size etc. There was also someone getting pelters for showing the pedigree of some of their players. Safe to say by the sound of things today that they literally are better than us from the goalkeeper all the way to the manager?

The season over stuff is very dramatic as per, play offs are still well in reach and play offs is and always will be a lottery

That'll be me. All this stuff that our squad is 'much better than theirs' was based on nothing. They didn't look worse than us in any position (with the possible exception of left back). They also played better than us as a team. I don't particularly like them, but good luck to 'em anyway.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Anyway, great weekend of sport panning out so far. This, the rugby, Spanners and guess which spawny striped wankers are up tomorrow?

Hate Charlton at the moment.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

I said it before, we have a top 3 squad but a top 12 manager.

You were wrong the first time as well.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

My thoughts on the game

Shower of shit. Today proved that although KR has his weaknesses as manager, the players simply aren’t good enough. Apart from the opening 5 minutes we were 2nd best to a team we’ve been comparing our squad to as being equals or better. No chance. Blackburn, Wigan, Shrewsbury, Rotherham and Scunthorpe look stronger than us imo, we’re hanging by a thread in terms of competing with the likes of Plymouth etc. There might not be much to choose between us and other teams fighting for 6th, the difference is we’re prob doing it with more expectation and weight based on our history, and trying to do it against an owner that doesn’t want to be here

Said it before and I’ll say it again, to get promotion you need a positive energy running through the club. We don’t have that whilst RD remains

We’ve all seen what it takes to win promotion, it was 6 years ago CP and the club created the environment to go up. We’re miles off that on an individual and collective level

Spot on.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Dodged this one. I kept saying before how I think people overrate our players and used Shrewsbury as the example that we probably don't even have better players than theirs, no disrespect to them just based on budgets and club size etc. There was also someone getting pelters for showing the pedigree of some of their players. Safe to say by the sound of things today that they literally are better than us from the goalkeeper all the way to the manager?

The season over stuff is very dramatic as per, play offs are still well in reach and play offs is and always will be a lottery

That'll be me. All this stuff that our squad is 'much better than theirs' was based on nothing. They didn't look worse than us in any position (with the possible exception of left back). They also played better than us as a team. I don't particularly like them, but good luck to 'em anyway.
    Yeah my bad no good at remembering who said what I just know what was said.

The top4 teams have squads that are better than ours, there isn't even an argument anymore, then you have players at clubs around us like Jack Marriott, Charlie Wyke, Graham Carey, Josh Morris etc that we could only dream of. I've said it too many times, Bauer, Konsa, Fosu and maybe big Josh, Kashi, Aribo and JFC are good enough for where we want to be for our match day squad, we need a massive overhaul and new management. I don't like calling for the manager but if/when we get new owners I want to see some investment so we can walk this league ready for the championship (the 4 players I said would be a start) and get a manager who is realistic for us, that has the potential to play at a higher level (we know that ain't Robinson) and that can actually get a team playing effectively. Luton have looked brilliant at times this season and so do Accrington (based on highlights) maybe have a look there.
  • Options
    The playing the wrong way thing I suppose was to avoid kicking into the sun.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

My thoughts on the game

Shower of shit. Today proved that although KR has his weaknesses as manager the players convincing bluffer, his bullshit excuses simply aren’t good enough. Apart from the opening 5 minutes we were 2nd best to a team we’ve been comparing our squad to as being equals or better. No chance. Blackburn, Wigan, Shrewsbury, Rotherham and Scunthorpe look stronger than us imo, we’re hanging by a thread in terms of competing with the likes of Plymouth etc. There might not be much to choose between us and other teams fighting for 6th, the difference is we’re prob doing it with more expectation and weight based on our history, and trying to do it against an owner that doesn’t want to be here

Said it before and I’ll say it again, to get promotion you need a positive energy running through the club. We don’t have that whilst RD remains

We’ve all seen what it takes to win promotion, it was 6 years ago CP and the club created the environment to go up. We’re miles off that on an individual and collective level

Fixed that for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    We all know that KR will not be sacked, but I really do feel it's time to relieve him of first team duty and let Jacko / Jason or the pair take over. Yes we all know we over estimate our squad and have big ideas about where we should. but, Jesus Christ we must be better than we saw today, and KR is not going to turn this turgid shit around. Time to make him Director of football, or catering or car parking or chips, anything that gets him away from the first team squad.

He said we needed to learn from today ! Karl we have . You are clueless and the longer we let you remain in charge of the squad, the less likely we are to see any change. I'm, sure you are trying your best, but it's hopeless. Please move him out, and let somebody, anybody have a go at getting this reasonable squad of players to perform.
  • Options
    Beat a league 2 bound Mk dons and then we have today still think we will the playoffs but won’t win them, another season in this shit league.
  • Options

Nadou said:

A big difference is they have a forward line and we don't. It's not KRs fault it's RDs. For a decent crowd, thought the atmosphere was poor.

Football for a Fiver always brings in crowds that aren't really interested. Behind me were two dads who had five kids in tow. The kids (6-8 year olds) were fitted out with scarves etc and spent the entire match kicking the seats in front of them, despite repeated requests to desist, and playing on their phones. Not one of them watched the game.
    Had a bellend in front of me that spent most of the game taking selfies of himself - he actually turned around to get the pitch in the background and was pouting whilst doing so. He got a bit of stick from those around him, but was oblivious to it.
    Were you in the row immediately behind the home dugout Ricky?
  • Options
    Win lose or draw, the only game this season I noticed the team playing to a clear plan, was when we parked the bus at Wigan.
    The rest is a pattern of random pinball football with a flash of individual brilliance every now and then to give us the odd victory.

• Options

First five minutes we were electric. Kaikai, Aribo and JDS ripped them apart down the left side. At that point I was thinking about the skilful, exciting players that we have in this squad. Those above, plus Mavididi and Fosu, I saw nothing in the Shrewsbury side to match those players. The injury to Bolton, then stopped the momentum and changed the game. They literally stopped us from playing, by closing down space and giving us no time whatsoever on the ball. They crowded us out with two, often three players covering every forward run of ours. They were extremely well organised and hard working. They nicked a couple of goals with a great shot and a poorly defended corner. Other than that, they created very little. No one will convince me that Shrewsbury have better players than those I've mentioned, plus Konsa, Kashi, the difference is in the tactics and organisation.

Well said, Queensland - a perfect summary - cheers
  • Options
    I was miss-sold and want a refund. This should have been sold as 'Football for a Fiver' Please note: The away team will play all the football.
  • Options

We’ve only won 5 matches out of our last 18 league games.

Compare that to Plymouth who've won 11 and drawn 3 of their last 15.
    Rotherham even better. 11 wins and 3 draws in a 14 match unbeaten run.

Not much hope of us getting in the play offs ahead of either of these.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A perfect demonstration of the basic requirements for success in this division. Organisation, fitness with a modicum of skill, and a huge portion of heart - more than a match for our set of skilled individuals.

(As displayed in the famous Repton boxing gym.)
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Fours and fives all round. Can’t be fagged to choose who gets what.

Not how the player marks thread works.

Can you verify what "can't be fagged" means?
    meldrew66 said:

4 all round except for Kashi (1). On his day, really influential. Throughout periods yesterday (especially in the 2nd half) the best thing he could have done was run away from the football. Sadly he chose to touch it. Schoolboy error.

He broke up so many Shrews attacks and I'd dare to say covered more ground than any other player.

Ridiculous people only see attacking influence as a marker to increase scores for midfielders.

JFC was worse, got booked early Andy then couldn't spit a foot in the rest of the game.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Fours and fives all round. Can’t be fagged to choose who gets what.

Not how the player marks thread works.

Can you verify what "can't be fagged" means?
    meldrew66 said:

4 all round except for Kashi (1). On his day, really influential. Throughout periods yesterday (especially in the 2nd half) the best thing he could have done was run away from the football. Sadly he chose to touch it. Schoolboy error.

He broke up so many Shrews attacks and I'd dare to say covered more ground than any other player.

Ridiculous people only see attacking influence as a marker to increase scores for midfielders.

JFC was worse, got booked early Andy then couldn't spit a foot in the rest of the game.
    Not everyone thinks the same.

In the player marks, you gave Aribo a 3, despite a vast majority of posters giving him a 6 minimum
  • Options
    Was late arriving due to being trapped on a bus from the O2. First thing I saw was the Konsa foul and the penalty save. I should have gone and sat on another bus at that point because thereafter there was only some neat footwork from Jay Dasilva and a couple of shots from Fosu and Kashi to catch the eye.

Shrews didn't have much attacking threat despite our wobbly central defence but if ever there was a team perfectly set up to grind out a fairly easy victory, it was them. They really ought to go straight up.

Strange things happen though in football and we might still sneak into 6th spot. Then we'll need luck and probably Amos to save quite a few more penalties, if we're to sneak up.

PS: I'm off to play my last ever game of football in a minute. Two players have just dropped out which gives us 9 including me (I'm an injured 51 year old)....so if any of you are wandering the streets of Southall, pop down to Dormers Wells Leisure Centre and you'll get a game! It's all adding up to the perfect football weekend......
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Players' size and athleticism is part of what makes them effective on the pitch. I think some here are over emphasising the technical ability of a few of our players when comparing our squads. Yes, we may have some gifted players, but Shrewsbury's players are generally stronger and possibly more experienced than ours. And it showed yesterday. I'd agree that they looked better organised than us, and that's down to the way they set up, but they also made far fewer individual mistakes than we did, and hung on to the ball better than we did.

It's not just down to Robinson, it's down to the disfunctionality of the club under Duchatelêt. If new owners come in with a plan I'd be happy enough for Robinson to get a chance with some real investment behind him (remember how little he's had to spend on players), but if they wanted to bring in someone better, then who would argue against that.

We really need Mavididi back, Kaikai doesn't look like a Premier League or Championship player, Fosu needs to start, and we still really lack an athletic midfield general type player. You don't have a top three squad if you don't have one of those imho.

Also, why the hell wasn't Bauer playing?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    After the first five minutes we were outplayed. They were physically stronger than us, fitter and could pass the ball. Their 23 looked good, but they were a sum of their parts team. My observations on us:-

Pearce has poor distribution - doesn't have that ability to make sure he finds a red shirt even when it isn't that hard.
    Solly is a shadow of his former self.
    We have three parts to our team, defence, midfield and attack and they do not often gel into one.
    I don't think it would have made much difference yesterday but Robinson waits for an inevitable goal before he changes things. I said he would bring Fosu on the minute they scored at half time!
    Our system works away from home but Magennis is too isolated at home when the onus is more on you.
    We are not fit enough - not enough space being made so every pass is made under pressure when you play a good pressing side.
    Too many wrong decisions with the ball when under pressure and sometimes when we are not.
    And the second goal was criminial defending at best.

I think it is entirely possible we will make the play-offs but we have to beat one of Blackburn, Wigan or Shrewsbury if we do. I was hoping it would be Shrewsbury, but now I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Was it golfie a few weeks back said we would be lucky to finish in top 10 i think he might be right.

The end of season games are hard but they can work in our favour and we'll slip into the play-offs.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Players' size and athleticism is part of what makes them effective on the pitch. I think some here are over emphasising the technical ability of a few of our players when comparing our squads. Yes, we may have some gifted players, but Shrewsbury's players are generally stronger and possibly more experienced than ours. And it showed yesterday. I'd agree that they looked better organised than us, and that's down to the way they set up, but they also made far fewer individual mistakes than we did, and hung on to the ball better than we did.

It's not just down to Robinson, it's down to the disfunctionality of the club under Duchatelêt. If new owners come in with a plan I'd be happy enough for Robinson to get a chance with some real investment behind him (remember how little he's had to spend on players), but if they wanted to bring in someone better, then who would argue against that.

We really need Mavididi back, Kaikai doesn't look like a Premier League or Championship player, Fosu needs to start, and we still really lack an athletic midfield general type player. You don't have a top three squad if you don't have one of those imho.

Also, why the hell wasn't Bauer playing?

Agree with the first para’ entirely. What yesterday illustrated is that we haven’t got the balance between physicality and skilful players right. As soon as Shrewsbury walked on the pitch you knew they would score from a set piece. You can’t play Dasilva, Solly, Kaikai and Marshall in the same side and expect to compete physically and as we draw to the end of the season it’s clear that we can’t make up for it with our flair players. We haven’t looked in control of a game like they did yesterday all season. We need to start playing players who may not be technically as good but do have the physicality and not play more than 2 of the shorter players at any one time. Robinson has been in this division long enough to know it’s a physical league.
  • Options
    On thing that really angered me in the first half was Marshall was in front of his man and had a great opportunity to drive into the penalty area. Instead he positioned himself to put in a cross, when there were no bodies in a position to capitalise, even if it was a good cross - which it wasn't. Why do our players not take this option enough? Things can open up for you if you have a quick look up when you get there - a shot on for you, late runners in to pass to etc... - maybe I have answered my own question. We don't have enough players who can look up!
  • Options
    How good is that omar beckles?