Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Life and Death Row : The Mass Execution - BBC

Comments

• Options
    There are some crimes so abhorrent and reprehensible I'd have no moral dilemma about executing the perpetrator for. Proven beyond all doubt people like Ian Huntley, Myra Hindley I would end. Of course there is the argument that it's an escape for them but I think Ian Huntley is getting away with what he did by doing a prison sentence.

Where do you stop though?

I grudgingly believe people deserve the opportunity to be rehabilitated and atone for what they have done. America has a huge problem with it's prison system and has for years because for those on death row or doing 500 year sentences there is nothing to be gained so become inhuman and unmanageable by prison staff.

I'm sure @AddickUpNorth can keep me honest here and from accounts of people I know who have spent time at her majesties pleasure, resource is so tight that money and staff are not available to rehabilitate those who want to be rehabilitated. This won't change until successive governments stop hiving stuff like this out to organisations who are trying to make margins. I know a few people who work in prisons and without saying which ones beyond the fact they are in Kent and South East London they all say the job is broken and they are permanently being totally reactive as opposed to proactive which is dangerous in any line of work
  • Options
    Going off topic slightly, I watched this the other night @AddickUpNorth , it highlights the shortage of staff and the calibre of people being recruited / fast tracked into the system. Mind boggling some of it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLRBpf-Ws6k
  • Options
    Carter said:

There are some crimes so abhorrent and reprehensible I'd have no moral dilemma about executing the perpetrator for. Proven beyond all doubt people like Ian Huntley, Myra Hindley I would end. Of course there is the argument that it's an escape for them but I think Ian Huntley is getting away with what he did by doing a prison sentence.

Where do you stop though?

I grudgingly believe people deserve the opportunity to be rehabilitated and atone for what they have done. America has a huge problem with it's prison system and has for years because for those on death row or doing 500 year sentences there is nothing to be gained so become inhuman and unmanageable by prison staff.

I'm sure @AddickUpNorth can keep me honest here and from accounts of people I know who have spent time at her majesties pleasure, resource is so tight that money and staff are not available to rehabilitate those who want to be rehabilitated. This won't change until successive governments stop hiving stuff like this out to organisations who are trying to make margins. I know a few people who work in prisons and without saying which ones beyond the fact they are in Kent and South East London they all say the job is broken and they are permanently being totally reactive as opposed to proactive which is dangerous in any line of work

When talking about this subject, Ian Huntley is always the first person who comes to my mind
  • Options
    I think I saw that documentary when it first came out @i_b_b_o_r_g but thanks for posting it, I’ll watch it again in full when time permits. The points it’s making about new recruits (POELTs) is massive. When I joined you had to sit a basic English and maths test (and it was basic) then I had to attend again to sit JSACs, basically a number of roleplays to show how you handle certain situations. I remember my scenarios vividly. Once I’d shown I wasn’t completely inept at communicating with people I was sent for eleven weeks training where I was tutored by two old school senior officers who had roughly fifty five years experience between them. They regaled us with war stories, gave us their knowledge and tried to prepare us for what was to come. However they also made it perfectly clear that training was one thing and that you only begin to really learn the job after you pass out and start walking the landings. That was the biggest truth they ever passed onto us.

Fast forward to today and it’s frightening. It is undoubtedly easier to get into the prison service than it was, training is shorter and a lot of it is geared towards diversity rather than sewing the seeds of ‘jail craft’. I have heard of tutors who are training our new recruits that have only a couple of years experience themselves and that is just ridiculous. As a consequence the calibre of new recruits is a bit suspect. A lot have come out of PS college thinking they know it all, that they have nothing to learn. Instead of just sitting back, observing and asking us old heads questions on what it takes to be a decent screw they have a swagger they haven’t earned the right to walk with. I’m not sure if this is a generational thing (most of our newbies are aged 21-30) but there appears to be a know-it-all, disregard for elders attitude with some of them. Unfortunately this attitude is counterproductive when you’re dealing with individuals who by their very nature aren’t your average citizen. Throw in any number of mental health problems and approaching someone like that with a ‘just do as I say’ attitude is asking for trouble. They have to learn true jail craft, have to learn how to read a situation, how to gauge an atmosphere and that’s impossible if you strut around like RoboCop. Plus some of the new recruits are thick as mince and appear to have no common sense. I say some because there are some that seem to have what it takes so there is some hope.
  • Options

I think I saw that documentary when it first came out @i_b_b_o_r_g but thanks for posting it, I’ll watch it again in full when time permits. The points it’s making about new recruits (POELTs) is massive. When I joined you had to sit a basic English and maths test (and it was basic) then I had to attend again to sit JSACs, basically a number of roleplays to show how you handle certain situations. I remember my scenarios vividly. Once I’d shown I wasn’t completely inept at communicating with people I was sent for eleven weeks training where I was tutored by two old school senior officers who had roughly fifty five years experience between them. They regaled us with war stories, gave us their knowledge and tried to prepare us for what was to come. However they also made it perfectly clear that training was one thing and that you only begin to really learn the job after you pass out and start walking the landings. That was the biggest truth they ever passed onto us.

Fast forward to today and it’s frightening. It is undoubtedly easier to get into the prison service than it was, training is shorter and a lot of it is geared towards diversity rather than sewing the seeds of ‘jail craft’. I have heard of tutors who are training our new recruits that have only a couple of years experience themselves and that is just ridiculous. As a consequence the calibre of new recruits is a bit suspect. A lot have come out of PS college thinking they know it all, that they have nothing to learn. Instead of just sitting back, observing and asking us old heads questions on what it takes to be a decent screw they have a swagger they haven’t earned the right to walk with. I’m not sure if this is a generational thing (most of our newbies are aged 21-30) but there appears to be a know-it-all, disregard for elders attitude with some of them. Unfortunately this attitude is counterproductive when you’re dealing with individuals who by their very nature aren’t your average citizen. Throw in any number of mental health problems and approaching someone like that with a ‘just do as I say’ attitude is asking for trouble. They have to learn true jail craft, have to learn how to read a situation, how to gauge an atmosphere and that’s impossible if you strut around like RoboCop. Plus some of the new recruits are thick as mince and appear to have no common sense. I say some because there are some that seem to have what it takes so there is some hope.

All this putting themselves, their colleagues and the inmates at risk I suspect
  • Options

• Options

Undoubtedly.
  • Options
    Only caught the last half an hour of it yesterday so will catch up. What I find amazing is that some inmates claim their innocence even after all the evidence proves they have done it.

Some of their crimes are so barbaric that they deserve it in my view. I feel sorry for the families of both parties in these situations.

If you have sky there is a lot of this type of programme on the documentary channel.
  • Options

For the most heinous of crimes, when guilt is proven beyond absolutely any doubt, I think they should be gone with in a week.

There are numerous miscarriages of justice - the dead don't get a retrial.

The death penalty is barbaric - It's just another murder and demeans society.
    That's why I said "proven beyond absolutely any doubt". When you also consider the advances in forensic science, cctv etc., I think that miscarriages of justice are far reduced. But as I said, people who are later found not guilty, are generally not found "guilty beyond absolutely any doubt" in the first place and there's usually a question marks in there somewhere,.
    I don't know how anyone can get away with murder with all the advances in science and technology these days. Watch 24 hours in police custody that gives a good insight.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Isn't the eye for an eye trope all about cautioning people to be restrained and search for justice? Like, don't take a leg for a finger and suchlike?

I also wonder if justice ought to be about treating everybody the same. The desperate old person who steals a loaf because their pension has run out should be treated the same as a millionaire who steals a loaf for a thrill? Isn't justice about treating equals equally rather than treating everybody the same? It is all very complicated.

One idealistic part of me would like to see prisoners repairing roads or something, it seems such a waste for all these people to basically do nothing, but managing something like that is fraught with problems.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Isn't the eye for an eye trope all about cautioning people to be restrained and search for justice? Like, don't take a leg for a finger and suchlike?

I also wonder if justice ought to be about treating everybody the same. The desperate old person who steals a loaf because their pension has run out should be treated the same as a millionaire who steals a loaf for a thrill? Isn't justice about treating equals equally rather than treating everybody the same? It is all very complicated.

One idealistic part of me would like to see prisoners repairing roads or something, it seems such a waste for all these people to basically do nothing, but managing something like that is fraught with problems.

I don't see a problem with modern day chain gangs
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

I would want them killed end of.
    I would push the button, open the trapdoor, pull the trigger, turn on old sparky with no qualms at all.

You're obviously a deep thinker.
    So if someone killed your kin you wouldn't feel the same?
    I don't doubt that cold blooded murderers deserve the death penalty, but there are two big reasons why we have to resist it. Firstly, you cannot fix miscarriages of judgement and these have happened and will happen and secondly, we have to be better than these pathetic bas**ards.

The point about revenge if they killed somebody you loved - yes I might very well want to seek them out and kill them and if I managed it, I would expect to be treated reasonably leniently, but the point is the state has to be above such acts.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Nah, anyone who thinks repairing roads is unskilled deserves the potholes they get

I agree with your thought process just not your particular choice of example
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

I would push the button, open the trapdoor, pull the trigger, turn on old sparky with no qualms at all.

I don't doubt that cold blooded murderers deserve the death penalty, but there are two big reasons why we have to resist it. Firstly, you cannot fix miscarriages of judgement and these have happened and will happen and secondly, we have to be better than these pathetic bas**ards.

The point about revenge if they killed somebody you loved - yes I might very well want to seek them out and kill them and if I managed it, I would expect to be treated reasonably leniently, but the point is the state has to be above such acts.
    I personally dont care if the victim was someone I knew and loved or not. I think that if guilt for certain crimes is proven beyond any doubt whatsoever, they should swing.
  • Options
    Ok, how do you prove it?
  • Options

Ok, how do you prove it?

If people admit to their crime then there can be no concerns that an innocent person has lost their life.
  • Options

Ok, how do you prove it?

With evidence, like it's always been. Although you rightly point out that there has been miscarriages in the past, there's also been plenty of open and shut cases with 100% water tight evidence for the most abhorrent of crimes, those are the ones I'm referring to.

The Rigby killers and Ian Huntley to name two cases
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    But there will always be miscarriages or serious doubt that can come to light later! An MP supporter of the death penalty said quite a few years ago that he supported the death penalty along with the fact that the odd innocent person will be executed. He was criticised for that, but if you support the death penalty, it is the only honest position you can take! Yes,we know Huntley is guilty, but you have to have a process to prove absolute guilt and you or me knowing it, isn't sufficient. We may know somebody is guilty who turns out not to be for instance.
  • Options

Ok, how do you prove it?

If people admit to their crime then there can be no concerns that an innocent person has lost their life.
    Are you joking? Look up Timothy Evans. People admit to crimes they didn't commit all the time and for many reasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2018
    McBobbin said:

Ok, how do you prove it?

Are you joking? Look up Timothy Evans. People admit to crimes they didn't commit all the time and for many reasons.
    Including having it beaten out of them! You have to accept the odd innocent one will creep in! I have a problem with that but if you don't it opens the way to support capital punishment!
  • Options
    The death penalty doesn't act as a deterrent - I've not seen any evidence around the world to suggest it does.

I would wonder about the motives of why anyone working in the criminal justice system would want to execute somebody. Our most prolific hangman Albert Pierrepoint admitted in his memoirs that it failed as a deterrent.

I fail to see how you can take a life and for it not to affect you even if you are an executioner.

• Options

MrOneLung said:

MrOneLung said:

Exactly how I see it
  • Options
    General Charlton??
  • Options

General Charlton??

Reflects our support - we debate everything....
  • Options

General Charlton??

Reflects our support - we debate everything....
    Masturbate
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Ok, how do you prove it?

My answer is based purely on people that have committed the crime, and not your example.
  • Options
    But having a system that can prove guilt beyond any doubt is impossible. What do you do with those who are guilty beyond reasonable doubt - do you accentuate the possibility they could be innocent for example.
  • Options
    Some of those crimes are where the assailant batters the life out of somebody with a baseball bat, or other heavy object. Rapes, stabs shoots kids. The people who do this put themselves on the gurney, no-one else.
  • Options
    I do find the Americans a tad weird when it comes to the death penalty from start to finish and this series really confirms this to me.
    Religious nutters on both sides claiming their views are God’s word.
    Lot drawing for the media to view the death.
    Last meals given and then published as though they’ve given the condemned a treat.
    Cocktails of drugs used that were developed for life not assisting death. If you’re that keen to top people nitrogen will do the job painlessly in 15 seconds, like a lab rat.
    The filmed clemency hearings with the victims relatives.
    The “death chamber” and the efforts taken to make it look like a place where a medical procedure is performed.
    The warden drawing the event out by reading out the death warrant,as if the chap strapped down to the trolley might not be 100% clear why he’s got IV lines hanging out of his arms.
    The after gig press conference where they discuss did he or did he not die in agony and what were his last words.
    Bloody strange ritual.

Good BBC documentary.

I couldn’t kill a stranger, something strange about people who can.