Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Litter - can anything be done?

124»

Comments

• Litter is a good thing.

people need jobs. ;-)
  • ross1 said:

I have just seen a piece of news about joggers who go round their area, picking up litter as they jog. Started in Sweden I believe and now some are doing it in this country, I think it is called "Plogging"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/237c63d4-0a54-406a-ae51-ad677a872456

I do notice when I visit Sweden with the misses that her country is so clean in comparison. Their attitude to litter starts with the parents and kids I guess. Case in point. I went to a local beauty spot with a lake and diving platforms. Whilst there a group of around 15 lads on mopeds pitch up with bbq's and sack fulls of food and drinks. Like us they spent an afternoon there eating and in/out of the lake. After their picnic / bbq they got water and dashed out their bbq's and carried everything to the car park bins where they put the lot. There wasn't a spot of crap on the grass bank where they had been. I was so impressed and felt guilty for having judged them prior to be the type that would leave a mess.

Where I live I have challenged parents walking their kids to school and whilst eating breakfast from the corner shop (sweets & crisps) I've seen kids throw all the crap on the floor. On challenging their parents etc I've almost been challenged for doing it. I'm not aggressive at all and wouldn't be impolite, so it amassed me how some can have the gall. My street is a quiet back street which also doubles up as a fly-tip spot. Each Friday on bin day, I do a litter pick to fill my bin with the latest junk. The sad thing is often it is household rubbish that should / could have gone in the regular dustbin.
  • ross1 said:

I have just seen a piece of news about joggers who go round their area, picking up litter as they jog. Started in Sweden I believe and now some are doing it in this country, I think it is called "Plogging"

All well and good but if the only solution is to have go around picking up the rubbish of the slobs in our society then we're f**ked. We seem to have created a nation of selfish infants who are incapable of taking responsibility....

• Parental abdication plays a large part as does, in my opinion, the ridiculous empowerment of children of nursery age who are given almost free rein to choose their activities and who cannot be reprimanded in smug meaningful way for antisocial behaviour in case it upsets them. Fucking mad.
  • IdleHans said:

Parental abdication plays a large part as does, in my opinion, the ridiculous empowerment of children of nursery age who are given almost free rein to choose their activities and who cannot be reprimanded in smug meaningful way for antisocial behaviour in case it upsets them. Fucking mad.

A lot of parents now seem to behave like toddlers - have the same inability to control their temper. I frequently see parents glued to their phones whilst ignoring the kids - if the child does try and get attention they get shouted at.

The smartphone will stunt the communication skills of so many children. If their parents can barely acknowledge them what hope do they have?

Arrogance and a lack of basic manners is not a winning combination.
  • E-cafc said:

"My pet hate are those people that eat cheap chicken and chips" ;)

Queueing at bus stops was more about common decency and politeness than about law. When we were younger if someone was at the bus stop when you got there then they got on the bus before you. Even if that meant that there wasn't enough room for you to get on after. You just waited for the next one.

Manners and politeness have been eroded from our society.

Worth its own thread.

Not sure how much mileage there'd be in 'The Cheap Chicken and Chips' thread.........even when the UK is on the point of civil war in as KFC have run out of chicken.
  • ross1 said:

All well and good but if the only solution is to have go around picking up the rubbish of the slobs in our society then we're f**ked. We seem to have created a nation of selfish infants who are incapable of taking responsibility....

Mate of mine always uses the phrase that people all know their rights but not their responsibilities.
  • Driving along this morning the guy in front of me driving a flash BMW opens his door while stopped at the lights and dumps plastic bottles and cigarette packets onto the road. I don't really get what can be done to stop all the morons in London littering the city?

There is a sizeable minority of people who just don't seem to give a shit about their environment.

BMW driver = nuff said.
  • I've just driven 800 miles across California and can't remember seeing any litter. There are however signs every mile or so telling you that littering attracts a $1000 fine. I would imagine there is a link