Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Litter - can anything be done?

Comments

• Options
    I never dared drop litter as a kid, I remember me mum saying that my coat pockets were always full with wrappers when it came round to washing them. Can't say the same for the kids who used my shop, they were just as bad as the smokers and would drop their wrapper 2 foot from the fuckin bin
  • Options
    In my day, you had the Green Cross Code and Don't Drop Litter and soming about glue sniffing as a few examples of initiatives that seemed to serve me and my generation quite well.

These days it's don't stab each other and don't refer to each other as a he or a she, but as a they.

General good citizenship and taking pride in one's area ain't really on the agenda these days, unless of course a local authority can make a quick buck with a fine....
  • Options

Carter said:

Littering really winds me up, it is an absolute reflection of someone's character to just drop litter.

Most if not all local authorities now issue fines for people caught littering, outside one of our buildings smokers are forever getting issued fines for dropping fag butts and leaving them. It got to the point I had to explain to people it's pretty scummy and the argument I heard back was "do you want me to put a lit cigarette in the bin"?

I didn't go as postal as every sinew in my body was urging me to, I just pointed out that yes, they could extinguish the cigarette on the floor, and would it be too much to expect for them to then put that extinguished cigarette in the bin or the ashtray as opposed to leaving it on the floor. Or they could carry on paying 60 quid fines

Next time you see someone casually discard some litter on the street, just say "I bet your house is a fucking pig sty". That tends to get a reaction

Where I used to live a bloke used to walk his dog and let it off on the green outside my house to have a shit, I saw him do this most mornings and evenings and knew he left the shit there and my lovely next door neighbour was forever cleaning it up. I was waiting for a lift to work one morning when matey and his Staff turned up for their morning dirty protest and he watched the dog do a massive great big shit and carried on to walk off past me. I stopped him and told him to pick his dogs shit up, he told me in the predictable arsehole way that his dog hadn't done a shit. Now some people, in fact most people would have got embarrassed at this point and maybe asked for a plastic bag, apologised, or produced a bag to pick the turd up. This dickhead didn't, so I grabbed hold of him, marched him over to the site of the dog dirt and told him I'd rub his face in it if he didn't pick it up, the dog was going spare barking at me, the bloke was then screaming and hollering. At this point my mate who I used to car share with had turned up and knowing the SP had got out to join the fun. A few neighbours came out too and in the end captain dogshit picked the shit up with the aid of a bag given to him by one of the neighbours. It was worth being late for work that day and he never let his dog shit there again, I absolutely would have fed him that dog shit too if he had continued to resist

Society has a role to play in stopping shitarses littering, it always used to be socially unacceptable. Sadly paying litter wardens to fine people seems to be a deterrent but they can't follow every dreg of humanity around ensuring they behave like a human being as opposed to a chimp

And that boys and girls is how he first met @TCE
    Can't be, @T.C.E dogs pick their own shit up
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Being an expert in this field as it keeps me in the manor i'm accustomed I can reveal..

1.Smokers are by far the worst.
    2.Kebab shops, Chinese and Indian takeaways have no concept of recycling and will leave rubbish anywhere.
    3.Those that have mentioned immigration do have a point. It is a fact that there are different cultural differences in the attitude to rubbish disposal.

My pet hate are those people that eat cheap chicken and chips on the bus and just drop everything around them.

On my recent trip home, I took the time to revisit some of the streets around Goodmayes/Seven kings, where I grew up. What I saw saddened me. I had flash backs to my childhood where most Sundays, the women would be sweeping the front of leaves, whilst their husband would be up a ladder, giving the front of the house a lick of paint. People then had pride in their property and the environment. In stark contrast today, filth and rubbish everywhere. Shops setting up their wares on the pavement, cardboard boxes, rotting vegetables. Kebab, fried Chicken and curry shops everywhere, with leftovers and bin bags surrounding them. Blokes standing on street corners, gobbing on the pavement.
    Very little greenery or hedges, with most front gardens concreted for car parking. No wonder all the sparrows have disappeared!
  • Options
    Is it true that kids aren't encouraged to throw their rubbish in the bin at school anymore?

Instead it doesn't matter if they drop it on the floor as someone will come along and pick it up once lunch break is done?

If that's the case (and I'm sure I remember reading it somewhere) then that needs to stop - the kids wont learn how to properly dispose of litter when they get older and need to be made aware of the damage it can do in the world.
  • Options
    It looks worse at the moment roadside simply because it's winter and the vegetation hasn't grown to hide it.

What can be done? Well fines would be nice if they could be applied in the same draconian way that speeding fines are handed out. So, litter cams maybe? Then regarding collection. I wouldn't necessarily hold up the USA as paragons of anything but, generally there's not much litter. I notice that often there's some local scout troop, church or some such that "sponsors" a mile or two of road and send out teams to collect litter. They used to (still do?) use prisoners to collect litter on the Interstates. So, bring back the chain gang. I quite like the idea of having Wayne Rooney in his hi-vis collecting crap on the M6.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

It looks worse at the moment roadside simply because it's winter and the vegetation hasn't grown to hide it.

What can be done? Well fines would be nice if they could be applied in the same draconian way that speeding fines are handed out. So, litter cams maybe? Then regarding collection. I wouldn't necessarily hold up the USA as paragons of anything but, generally there's not much litter. I notice that often there's some local scout troop, church or some such that "sponsors" a mile or two of road and send out teams to collect litter. They used to (still do?) use prisoners to collect litter on the Interstates. So, bring back the chain gang. I quite like the idea of having Wayne Rooney in his hi-vis collecting crap on the M6.

It would be nice if people disposed of their own litter as it doesn't seem too much to ask. Maybe it's not their responsibility? Perhaps everyone should be free to litter and taking things to their logical conclusion be free to have a dump on the pavement if they want to - the council or some local charity could clean it up for them.

When I compare the littering now with the level of litter I remember as a kid things are far worse. No doubt someone can tell me this isn't the case and I'm imagining it based on my own personal bias.

Blaming fast food restaurants, packaging, lack of bins etc is nonsensical as despite all these so called massive problems I've always managed to dispose of my litter. Perhaps some people are just selfish, lazy etc or am I being a bully and insensitive for saying so?

• Options
    Not so long ago I looked out of my kitchen window to see a mattress dumped in the middle of the road! Cars were having to stop and drive round the bloody thing! How much more effort did the fly tippers go to just to inconvenience more people? Thing is, Haringey council will come and pick up this sort of thing for free, so why would you dump it? Unique.
  • Options

Driving along this morning the guy in front of me driving a flash BMW opens his door while stopped at the lights and dumps plastic bottles and cigarette packets onto the road. I don't really get what can be done to stop all the morons in London littering the city?

There is a sizeable minority of people who just don't seem to give a shit about their environment.

Goes with the BMW driver character, I bet he was turning either left or right, although he mastered the door catch and a bit of antisocial housekeeping the indicator stalk is still a mystery item.
    Probably should have posted on ‘things that annoy you’ thread but more than half of the examples of bad driving I see involves BMW drivers. This had covered the Uk, France, Spain Holland and Belgium. All ages and other demographic factors are covered - the only common issue is the make of car. Tailgating, sudden u-turns, weaving in and out with no indicating, going through red lights. Sorry for digression but I’m glad I’ve got that off my chest.

• Options

Is it true that kids aren't encouraged to throw their rubbish in the bin at school anymore?

Instead it doesn't matter if they drop it on the floor as someone will come along and pick it up once lunch break is done?

If that's the case (and I'm sure I remember reading it somewhere) then that needs to stop - the kids wont learn how to properly dispose of litter when they get older and need to be made aware of the damage it can do in the world.

No, of course it isn't.
  • Options
    Among other things a punishment at my old school was to spend a break or lunchtime picking up litter with a bucket and a stick with pincers on. Fucking humiliating but also with the threat of some horrible 5th year arseholes armed with a stick that tended to dissuade potential pigs from dropping litter. That and a caretaker who played a bit fast and loose with the "you aren't meant to twat kids" rule ensured the school remained fairly clean
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Daggs said:

As a child in the fifties I was taught not to drop litter. Sixty years on, I still don't drop litter.
    Unfortunately it appears the modern child is no longer taught such things.
    It's nothing to do with austerity. It's entirely due to respect or total lack of.

Research suggests littering habits (or in yours and my case, non-littering) are formed at a very early age, and are hard-wired by the time children go to school. Of course, schools do their best to reform litterers, but this really is something which lies at the door of parents.
  • Options
    Its horrible every set of lights or roundabout you pull up at its strewn across.

When cycling the countryside hedges are not adverse to a tin being thrown out and I certainly don't get the mentality of the people that do it.
    Doe's keeping it in the car until you stop really harm that much?
    Do we really believe its just a youth problem and they are not encouraged to put litter in a bin at school? Come on it worse than just pin pointing youths.

The answers on stopping people littering im not really sure of other than education/discipline starting at home and being followed through at school.

In the meantime the government should act anyone that wants to claim benefits lets get them working restoring our roadside/countryside.
    Petty criminals that are serving time get them out and start clearing

There is a counter argument that this would encourage the scum bags that do this but until we find a better solution lets have a go.
  • Options
    I can assure people that me and my mates don't let their kids drop litter, don't stand for it at all.

The next step is to encourage them to put the sticky wrappers in the bin, rather than directly into my pocket...
  • Options

Littering really boils my piss, just no excuse for being a thoughtless, anti-social piece of shit. I got the train to Donny on Saturday and the state of the line was shocking, so much crap just thrown over back fences onto the embankments. There was a full rusty swing set that instead of being dismantled and disposed of down at the local tip it was just dumped over the fence intact amongst the bags of who knows what. I can’t comprehend the mentality of those who see nothing wrong with messing up their own environment.

It's just plain selfish behaviour.
    I think Network Rail should just chuck it all back over the fences.
  • Options

Being an expert in this field as it keeps me in the manor i'm accustomed I can reveal..

Totally with you on smokers Baldy. It just seems a matter of routine normality to the vast majority of 'cigarette' smokers to just chuck their finished dirty tab end wherever they choose. Bizarre, lazy and arrogant.
    And as an aside, the saddest thing that I'd ever seen were smokers outside the hospital doors!
  • Options
    I'm sure that a lot of fly tipping is an unintended consequences of land fill tax and recycling policies. The £64 per tonne tax means that a 2 yard mini skip can cost best part of £100 and a proper builder's skip more like £500. Couple that with the hassle of taking things to the recycling centre and it's no doubt that many of society's bottom feeders choose to just chuck their muck anywhere. I'm not saying that recycling is a bad thing, but the way it's organised often doesn't make it feel like an easy or positive experience.
  • Options
    Stig said:

I'm sure that a lot of fly tipping is an unintended consequences of land fill tax and recycling policies. The £64 per tonne tax means that a 2 yard mini skip can cost best part of £100 and a proper builder's skip more like £500. Couple that with the hassle of taking things to the recycling centre and it's no doubt that many of society's bottom feeders choose to just chuck their muck anywhere. I'm not saying that recycling is a bad thing, but the way it's organised often doesn't make it feel like an easy or positive experience.

Things just need to be made easier for people that are just too lazy to do anything - they could be given a personal assistant who could help them with the rubbish, opening doors etc. Making people do things themselves or asking them to be considerate is really just bullying.

Councils should really help people bag up their rubbish as otherwise they'll have to flytip assuming they have the energy to do so. For those too lazy to even flytip they could perhaps be helped to do so.
  • Options

Totally with you on smokers Baldy. It just seems a matter of routine normality to the vast majority of 'cigarette' smokers to just chuck their finished dirty tab end wherever they choose. Bizarre, lazy and arrogant.
    And as an aside, the saddest thing that I'd ever seen were smokers outside the hospital doors!
    Recently hospitals have tried banning smoking on campus even for their drug, alcohol and mental health patients. These people cannot leave to have a cigarette, not being able to smoke in many cases massively increases the issues they have and often keeps them in hospital longer. Better they are allowed to smoke outside than not at all.