Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why can't we defend a lead?

Comments

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Posted about this in the post match thread.

Soon after Magennis's neat headed goal we had a goal kick. The defender lobbed the ball slightly away from Amos, who took his time picking up and placing the ball, and even longer to kick it.
    Yes, we had started time wasting before the hour was up, despite being on top, despite being the home side. We should have been tearing into them and going for the jugular, but no, we sat back, slowed the game down, and eventually let them bully us. Why!? Just keep playing the way we were ffs. Stop trying to be clever. If Robbo's told them to slow the game down when we're ahead, well I'm done supporting him.

Wasting time with 30 mins left on the clock when only 1 up is embarrassing.

Amos (probably under instruction, because Rudd did it as well) has done it all season. Doesn’t release the ball quick enough. I really don’t understand why we can’t mix it up a bit...we have pace in the team so why he doesn’t punt the ball in to space quickly for one of them to get after, is beyond me.

I want it to work under Robinson, but I can’t see how it will if he is not willing to take more risks. He refuses even break away from his formation obsession. it’s all to predictable. He can even get substitutions right. In fact, he can’t get the basics right.
    @ricky_otto we started slowing it down right after our goal! 25 minutes in to the match!
    Worse than I thought then! Glad I'm away and missed it.
  • Options
    KMs fault
  • Options
    dizzee said:

KMs fault

Morgan Fox
    Simon Francis
    KM
    Lennon
    Pardew
    Dowie

Anybody else we can blame?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Simple, we don't score enough goals. It means we're regularly trying to hold on to 1 goal leads. We aren't strong enough defensively to handle that.

This with knobs on.

Don't have to worry about letting A goal in if your 3 nil up. Its not a problem with our defence but with our attack
    It's sitting back and slowing the game down when we're ahead. You're not going to score two goals, let alone three if you do that golfie. You've got to maintain the style of play that got you the goal in the first place. We hardly created a clear chance after going one up. Half chances yes, but that's not good enough at home to Bradford City.
    And if it was a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it when we went one up. We were so much better than them it was embaressing. That fluent play ended the moment we got the goal - not in the second half when they had a chance to change tactics.
    Exactly. We changed tactics (started slowing the game down) right after our goal. Bloody dumb.
    Who is normally responsible for team tactics? I think it might be Saint Karl.
  • Options

dizzee said:

KMs fault

Morgan Fox
    Simon Francis
    KM
    Lennon
    Pardew
    Dowie

Roland and the vol au vents ( could be a name for a band).
  • Options
    It seems as games go on the defending becomes more and more disorganized, from back to front. We slow the game up and try to play intricate football to get the second goal. then every one out of position and like last night the subs do not help and by 80mins all cohesion is lost. This happens game after game.
  • Options
    We have too many small and lightweight attackers in our side when we're defending a lead. Centre backs are left exposed far too often.
  • Options
    Lack of organisation and discipline.

In the first half we looked good until we got inside their box but Bradford didn't really press us. In the second half Bradford put more pressure on which should have left them open to a counter attack but, despite our tricky speedy players, we rarely play the ball quick enough and will inevitably overplay.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    1 KR has recruited a squad full of small lightweight players, who will nearly always come off second best, when it comes to the physical battles. We had Bauer, Konsa and Magennis outfield plus 7 other smallish light weight players.

2 This issue also means we are at a massive disadvantage at every set piece at both ends of the pitch.

3 KR plays one formation only and makes it simple for every opposition manager to work out how to beat us and if the opposition are capable then they will.

4 KR rarely varies the tactics, as said above I was desperately hoping Amos would kick the ball long into the spaces for our speedy players to run onto, but no it was roll it out and knock the ball sideways. It's so so easy to defend against.

5 We looked a little dangerous at the end when we launched the ball into the area quickly, but it was too little too late.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Simple, we don't score enough goals. It means we're regularly trying to hold on to 1 goal leads. We aren't strong enough defensively to handle that.

This with knobs on.

Don't have to worry about letting A goal in if your 3 nil up. Its not a problem with our defence but with our attack
    It's sitting back and slowing the game down when we're ahead. You're not going to score two goals, let alone three if you do that golfie. You've got to maintain the style of play that got you the goal in the first place. We hardly created a clear chance after going one up. Half chances yes, but that's not good enough at home to Bradford City.
    And if it was a boxing match, the ref would have stopped it when we went one up. We were so much better than them it was embaressing. That fluent play ended the moment we got the goal - not in the second half when they had a chance to change tactics.
    Exactly. We changed tactics (started slowing the game down) right after our goal. Bloody dumb.
    Who is normally responsible for team tactics? I think it might be Saint Karl.
    Er, yes. I’ve been saying that since half time yesterday.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is nothing new anyone remember being 2-0 up at the den 5 minutes left we draw 2-2
  • Options
    We don't score enough goals
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    It happens and we are a League One side which is marginally better than an average League One side, it would seem. It will balance out over time. I suspect that like anything that keeps happening, there's a degree of nervousness, which has affected the management and players, but it will pass. We will still be in League One next year because of RD; other issues are relatively trivial.
  • Options

dizzee said:

KMs fault

Morgan Fox
    Simon Francis
    KM
    Lennon
    Pardew
    Dowie

Blame it on the boogie

I just can't control my feet
  • Options
    We used to surrender two-goal leads under Parky.
  • Options
    We are shy of goals through out the whole team. The full backs don't contribute, other then Bauer the centre backs don't contribute. Marshall career stats show he has never been one to score many, Kashi might get 2 maximum. This is a low scoring team which puts pressure on the defence.
  • Options
    Even when we slow the game down, and you do have to from time to time, we do not have the team work and cohesion to have the short passing and movement game which is necessary to keep the ball and stop the opposition getting it. Instead we resort to either hoofing it or glory passes aiming to hit the opposition on the breakaway. I'm afraid this is the sort of thing that should be coached into players in training but clearly isn't at present.

Teams get better as games progress - collections of individuals don't.
  • Options
    One of the problems that we have when attacking at the start of the game is that we often try and gold plate every attack. When we were all over Bradford in the first 20 minutes I counted 5 or 6 times when rather than attempting a possible shot we passed the ball to try and get in a better position - if someone had shot it may have missed/been blocked etc - but if you play a % game as other sides do we could have scored that extra goal.

We are also rubbish at set pieces - attacking and defending - which must be down to practice.
  • Options
    sm said:

We are also rubbish at set pieces - attacking and defending - which must be down to practice.

It's down to KR signing a team of short arses.
  • Options
    Not to pour cold water on yesterday's great win over Lincoln, but the last 15 mins was stressful and we were a bit lucky not to concede a second goal on the last action of the game.

Like some posters above (from 2018), I think it is mostly about mentality: lack of concentration, relaxing a bit too much, and losing urgency or accuracy on the finish.

Tactics and fitness may play a part but for me it's mainly psychological.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thread is titled 'Why can't we defend a lead'.

We did yesterday.
  • Options

Not to pour cold water on yesterday's great win over Lincoln, but the last 15 mins was stressful and we were a bit lucky not to concede a second goal on the last action of the game.

Like some posters above (from 2018), I think it is mostly about mentality: lack of concentration, relaxing a bit too much, and losing urgency or accuracy on the finish.

Average to poor players.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

We did yesterday.
    And I'm so glad that we did. I just wonder what it is about the team that makes a winning position so stressful.
  • Options

Average to poor players.
    Fair point but Lincoln weren't too good either.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

We did yesterday.
    And I'm so glad that we did. I just wonder what it is about the team that makes a winning position so stressful.
    I agree. Second half I thought let it be boring, we retain our lead, Lincoln don't look like worrying us and look how that turned out. 
  • Options

Average to poor players.
    Fair point but Lincoln weren't too good either.
    I doubt they’re very good a defending a lead either.
  • Options

Not the least of which is the psychological scar on all concerned of having to watch Ryan Inniss find ever more idiotic ways of fucking things up at least once per half
    He makes Naby Sarr look like Franz Beckenbauer and Bobby Moore rolled into one
  • Options
    To be fair to Inniss, he's been a lot better under the new management. I think he's more relaxed now he knows he's got licence to just whack it off.
  • Options
    Because we don’t have the right players at the moment 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    To be fair to Inniss, he's been a lot better under the new management. I think he's more relaxed now he knows he's got licence to just whack it off.
    Kenneth Williams photo please.