Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Bradford 13/2/18 post-match views

Comments

• Options
    Time for the manager to take the blame. However, we are simply not as good as some think. More importantly, individual players are not as good as some think. Kashi, Solly, Reeves, JFC et al. They are very poor players but just about ok for league one. We are in a false position and have been most of this season. Robinson is being found out now unable to change or save a game. The crowds are now drifting away faster than ever, and they won’t return.
  • Options

I’m fairly rational, they were superb first half

But there is something, whatever it is tactical, physical, psychological that is holding us back in the last quarter of the game

I thought we rode out the pressure early doors second half but there was only one team I thought might nick it in the end

Patrick Bauer was absolutely immense

sums up my feelings, first half we were almost unplayable - our goal was superb.

it seems to creeping into their minds in the last 15/20 mins now, it's a mental thing

also thought Da Silva had a great game and well done Josh for another goal (good to hear the CE singing his name)
  • Options
    edited February 2018

JamesSeed said:

Perhaps we could have a bad decision of the season competition:

THIS TREATMENT OF NICKY AJOSE IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE SORT YOURSELF OUT @EFL pic.twitter.com/NH6aFd3FqN

— Oliver (@HashtagOliverK) 14 February 2018

Tell me he was booked for that , I don’t think it’s a red cos of where he was going more of an orange !

It looked bad and I immediately thought red card for serious foul play. Didn't matter where he was going, it was really bad. Solly's one was an orange for me.

Their 29 pulled back Fosu(?) by the top of his shirt, in the 2nd half. Should've been an automatic yellow (he gave the free-kick) and that would've been him off because he'd already been booked.
  • Options

@AFKABartram

10/10 for me there.

Also bonus for not writing off Zyro on the basis of a 6 minute cameo in a late panic.

Zyro when he came on made one bad pass which was his first one.

He's very simple and very tidy...

He wont ever impress though if he keeps getting 6min cameos and will be similar to Ahearne-Grant
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    JamesSeed said:

wmcf123 said:

Why does Robinson insist on this Lennon for da silva substitution ? And why has he ditched Aribo altogether ?

It's the aerial bombardment thing. It worked when it was Sarr. It hasn't when using Lennon.

And why has he ditched Aribo altogether ? Wish I knew.
    What I dont get though is why he feels the need to do it with Dasilva and not Solly

There is an inch in height between the two players (one 5.8ft, the other 5.7ft) yet for some reason, Dasilva has to be taken off so that the Defence can deal better with aerial balls yet Solly isnt subbed.

Hell Chris Perry was only 5.9ft yet was a brilliant header of the ball

Think its just another excuse really for Robinson to deflect.

Dont get me started on Joe Aribo either - Ironic isn't it, he's removed from the team and we've now failed to win in three, whereas the three games prior to Oxford (when he was involved), we won!! - As someone else said on here, Kashi and Forster-Caskey are too similar, Aribo gives something slightly different, especially going forward, and especially when we're at home when we should be bossing games!!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

You know what the most frustrating part is for me? It's that I think we're close to being very good, but we're not.

Your positivity in the face of adversity is inspiring SD.

You're like the Dame Vera Lynn of Charlton Athletic.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    The Referee was bloody useless yet that was because he game Free-Kicks to Bradford so some damn soft fouls...

Other than the Ajose challenge at the end (which looked worse than it was), the only time I felt that we didn't get protection was when Forster-Caskey was fouled in the first half (got nothing) and was then promptly fouled minutes later, which earned both him and the offender a booking as the referee forced him to take matters into his own hands.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

JamesSeed said:

Said it before and i'll say it again, we have a much better squad than Shrewsbury. But we have a manager who has 1 formation, no clue on how to adjust things depending on how the game is developing and who doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of his players.

If we'd swapped managers back in August then i'd bet every last penny that the Shrewsbury manager would have us higher in the table than 7th, and that Robinson would have Shrewsbury nowhere near the play offs.

Why? Where's your evidence.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have roughly similar squads. Your comments about the Shrewsbury manager are all speculation. I'm guessing you don't even know his name.

Criticise Robbo by all means, and I did in my match review, but leave Shrewsbury and their squad of legends out of it.
    He's been a success and won promotion at every club he's been at. Then took over a Shrewsbury side who were BOTTOM of league one less than 18 months ago. Kept them up, and now has them TOP of league one.

Tell me what Robinson has done. One successful season with MK Dons when he was fortunate enough to get Will Grigg and Benik Afobe in on loan and have a kid called Dele Alli come out of the youth team.

Hurst took over Shrewsbury in October 2016 and took them from bottom to 18th.
    Robinson took over in November 2016 when we were 11th and 3 points off the play offs. We finished 13th, and were 13 points off the play offs.

Hurst now has Shrewsbury top of the league.
    Robinson has us treading water and actually closer to the relegation zone (14 points) than the promotion places (15 points).

So i stand by my opinion that if we'd swapped managers we'd be doing better under Hurst and Shrewsbury would be worse off under Robinson.
    That description of Hurst does sound pretty good to be fair.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    The Ajose challenge was cynical and wasn't a red because he still had some work to do, but a yellow doesn't seem to be a fair punishment either. There probably isn't an answer - you just have to suck it in really. I thought they were assaulting Magennis and the ref let them get away with it largely. It really isn't any good complaining about it - refs at this level have always been more lenient. You have to accept it and need to have more to your game than just technical ability. Technically we are the best team, I don't doubt it but it isn't enough on its own.

Robinson has put a useful squad together in difficult circumstances and if he can find a solution to the issues we can all see, he has the advantage of having better players than the other sides around us. At this stage of the season, he needs to be given the chance to follow through. We are more than capable of putting a run together. I just wish he would play two up front at home.
  • Options

Here we go..............

Echo a lot of what has already been said on here. JFC or Kashi but not both - too similar and do not produce enough going forward. In their place comes Aribo. Subs should have come on at 70 mins (Aribo & Zyro) although Zyro did little when he did finally make an appearance. I'm so glad we got him in & let KAG go out on loan - what a great bit of business. I've given up on the season (although have already got our tickets for Saturday). We don't deserve to go up (or even get into the play-offs) and think Plymouth will be ahead of us in the table come May.

I see Robinson in now blaming the ref. Can't wait to see who he'll be blaming at 5pm on Saturday - the mascot ???. The bloke is a chancer & a one trick pony.

Only positives were Da Silva (again), Fosu, Magennis & Bauer. Marshall is a poor mans Mickey Bonnet. Solly has lost a yard of pace & is no way captain material. Bauer should take that honour. Kaikai looked ok first half (but then all 11 did) but faded rapidly in the 2nd & the 2 defensive / holding midfielders were as good as useless. Jan Molby did more from the centre circle than the 2 put together. We have no guile, no penetrative passes, no thrust. Fosu tries had & is exciting, but is now taking over from Holmes & is being taken out at every opportunity. We simply do not play like a team. There is no cohesion, no-one knows what to expect, what his team mate is going to do.

As for a previous poster who said that we are going to win on Saturday........I'd like some of what he is on. We will score our obligatory 1 goal & then lay down & surrender. All I can thank KR for is that I now wont have to miss the BMW Championships at Wentworth which is being played over the play-off final weekend.

PS. I got Golfie Jnr to check the possession stats after 20 mins as I didn't think Bradford had got into or box up until then, 82% -18%. We then scored & let them back into the game. To paraphrase Oscar Wilde - to lose 3 points once is unfortunate, to lose them twice seems like carelessness, to lose them 3 times should mean the sack.

Great post.
    Pretty much everything I was going to say.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Said it before and i'll say it again, we have a much better squad than Shrewsbury. But we have a manager who has 1 formation, no clue on how to adjust things depending on how the game is developing and who doesn't appear to know how to get the best out of his players.

If we'd swapped managers back in August then i'd bet every last penny that the Shrewsbury manager would have us higher in the table than 7th, and that Robinson would have Shrewsbury nowhere near the play offs.

I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have roughly similar squads. Your comments about the Shrewsbury manager are all speculation. I'm guessing you don't even know his name.

Criticise Robbo by all means, and I did in my match review, but leave Shrewsbury and their squad of legends out of it.
    He's been a success and won promotion at every club he's been at. Then took over a Shrewsbury side who were BOTTOM of league one less than 18 months ago. Kept them up, and now has them TOP of league one.

Tell me what Robinson has done. One successful season with MK Dons when he was fortunate enough to get Will Grigg and Benik Afobe in on loan and have a kid called Dele Alli come out of the youth team.

Robinson took over in November 2016 when we were 11th and 3 points off the play offs. We finished 13th, and were 13 points off the play offs.

Robinson has us treading water and actually closer to the relegation zone (14 points) than the promotion places (15 points).

So i stand by my opinion that if we'd swapped managers we'd be doing better under Hurst and Shrewsbury would be worse off under Robinson.
    You've just looked him up lol
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    We could certainly win at MK Dons, we are a better side than them, full of better players, but we will make it tough for ourselves - we always do! I will be in Austria so hopefully will be able to watch the game on IFollow.

When I watch Magennis, I always think it would be great having a pacy striker playing off him. I'd certainly like to look at how Ajose does with him - I think they might just compliment each other. Magennis can win 40-60s in the air. At the moment he heads it on into areas we don't have players. Play Ajose on the shoulder of the last defender holding his run until Magennis flicks it on.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Post of the week.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

JamesSeed said:

I'm not calling you out on that, I'm calling you out on your claim that we have a 'much better squad' than Shrewsbury's. Read any of the threads where other are saying our squad isn't as strong as some have believed in the past.

Whether our squad would do better under a different manager, well of course it might, hard to know until it happens. But you can bet any new manager would want to bring plenty of players in.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Our squad may not be as strong as it could be, but we do have better players than Shrewsbury.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

I'm not calling you out on that, I'm calling you out on your claim that we have a 'much better squad' than Shrewsbury's. Read any of the threads where other are saying our squad isn't as strong as some have believed in the past.

Whether our squad would do better under a different manager, well of course it might, hard to know until it happens. But you can bet any new manager would want to bring plenty of players in.
    No they wouldn’t. We even had a manager earlier this season saying he’s jealous of our squad depth for this level of football!!
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

wmcf123 said:

Why does Robinson insist on this Lennon for da silva substitution ? And why has he ditched Aribo altogether ?

It's the aerial bombardment thing. It worked when it was Sarr. It hasn't when using Lennon.

And why has he ditched Aribo altogether ? Wish I knew.
    What I dont get though is why he feels the need to do it with Dasilva and not Solly

There is an inch in height between the two players (one 5.8ft, the other 5.7ft) yet for some reason, Dasilva has to be taken off so that the Defence can deal better with aerial balls yet Solly isnt subbed.

Hell Chris Perry was only 5.9ft yet was a brilliant header of the ball

Think its just another excuse really for Robinson to deflect.

Dont get me started on Joe Aribo either - Ironic isn't it, he's removed from the team and we've now failed to win in three, whereas the three games prior to Oxford (when he was involved), we won!! - As someone else said on here, Kashi and Forster-Caskey are too similar, Aribo gives something slightly different, especially going forward, and especially when we're at home when we should be bossing games!!
    Simply because it's Dasilva they target. He's nowhere near 5'9" btw. It's not necessarily an excuse, it's just something that happens.

I like Aribo. He's improving and he's not afraid to go forward. And he can actually pass the ball. Was it last season he had three assists in one game?
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    We are still within touching distance of the play offs - win one of the games in hand we have over Bradford and we are above them. We do have an issue and Robinson's job is to solve it. I believe he has the players to do so and will judge him at the end of the season.
  • Options
    Worth saying again, as he keeps proving it. Robinson is tactically woefully limited. He has a Plan A. That's it. He has now been sussed by most other clubs, and judging by his frequent bellyaches about players not doing as planned, they don't even buy into it fully. The individuals are good enough for this division but they are being led by a donkey.
  • Options
    I think he needs to be judged at the end of the season. He has to sort out the current issues and how he does so will be how we feel about him ultimately. No point being too critical at this point.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

I won't go into KR too much, it's all been said above to be honest.

One thing I want to pick up on which I think is at least a major contributing factor (if not the reason) for being unable to hold a lead is the utter lack of leadership on the pitch. I think a lot of our problems stem from having no one who seems to organise or give the team shape.

Maybe a fit Jason Pearce will organise the defence.

But in truth, we have no one in midfield capable of driving the team on.
    No Kinsella type. Not even a Jacko.

And really, no skipper, no leader.

This. With bells on.

Don't know what's going on between Marshall and Solly, but they don't communicate and the only time they link up is when Marshall passes to Solly. I though Marshall worked hard and put some good balls in.

It's not a coincidence that we got better results when Jacko started even though his legs are gone etc. At one point in the 2nd half, we had a throw in halfway in their half. JDS threw to JFC and within 2 passes we were back at Amos.

Distressingly predictable. And if we can see it, we can bet whoever is scouting for the oppo can see it.

As someone else said, we might make the play offs by a fluke. But there's no way this lot have the will to go up.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    We are missing something in midfield and I do think both JFC and Kashi are more than decent at this level. Maybe the balance could be better. Aribo does offer something different but is lacking defensively. I think the problem can be solved elsewhere, but Robinson needs to adapt his preferred formation. It would work if we had more goals in the team, but we don't.

As for the passing back -and the building from the back - it worked up to the goal. It isn't the problem in itself. When we had injuries we were playing too much in front of teams, but we now have players who can get through defences. I think we need one more element = which is pace getting behind defences. We have players who can beat defenders, a player who can win headers, now we need that extra ingredient to make us more of a challenge. I'd seriously look at how Ajose does, as he does have the pace for all his limitations. Balance is everything.
  • Options
    Anyone on here going to put their name to a considered defense of Robinson's position after last night's hat trick?
    It is apparent that my heart on sleeve, erudite, often invective laden, opinions get under the skin of some 'Lifers' and that some of you see matches very differently, bafflingly so. Help me out, make sense of our manager and the last 3 matches in particular.