Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sky and BT win Premier League TV rights

2»

Comments

• Thank god I support a local team. Genuinely cannot see the fun in only watching a team on TV every week and being ripped off to do it.
  • Bet Bezos is gutted it didn't kick in this season. Stoke vs West Brom, November, Monday night, Amazon Prime

What could've been
  • Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon create a 'channel' just for this and charge a fee in addition to prime membership.
  • johnny73 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon create a 'channel' just for this and charge a fee in addition to prime membership.

The company confirmed the move will come at no extra cost to existing Prime Video users but for those not already subscribed to the £7.99 per month streaming service it will see a further increase in the cost of watching football which has drawn an understandably mixed response from fans.
  • johnny73 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if Amazon create a 'channel' just for this and charge a fee in addition to prime membership.

The company confirmed the move will come at no extra cost to existing Prime Video users but for those not already subscribed to the £7.99 per month streaming service it will see a further increase in the cost of watching football which has drawn an understandably mixed response from fans.
    "A mixed response"? What kind of cretin said "Yeah, great, what good news, I love it"?

Actually I know what kind of cretin, but in the interests of peace, I won't say. :wink:
  • Yeah, great, what good news, I love it.
  • Have Sky lost any games from this deal? If so, I bet their subscription costs won't go down.
  • Ross said:

Have Sky lost any games from this deal? If so, I bet their subscription costs won't go down.

No, these are 20 extra televised games.
  • Ross said:

Have Sky lost any games from this deal? If so, I bet their subscription costs won't go down.

No I believe they are actually paying less for the same amount of packages they won from the previous deal
  • Sky Sports (128 live games)
    Packages: 4.
    Broadcast slots: Saturday (5:30pm/7:45pm); Sunday (2pm/4:30pm); Monday (8pm); Friday (7:30pm/8pm)

BT Sport (50 live games)
    Packages: 2.
    Broadcast slots: Saturday (12:30pm); Midweek (7:45pm/8pm *tbc)

Amazon (20 live games)
    Packages: One.
    Broadcast slots: Boxing Day (kick-off tbc); Midweek (7:45pm/8pm *tbc)
  • Sponsored links:

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57098432

Premier league's existing deal with Sky, BT, Amazon and BBC allowed to be rolled over for a further three years, taking it through to 2025.  No bidding process this time round.
  • cafcfan said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57098432

Premier league's existing deal with Sky, BT, Amazon and BBC allowed to be rolled over for a further three years, taking it through to 2025.  No bidding process this time round.
    As part of the new deal, BT Sport say that to help with the fixture congestion, they will change their Saturday lunchtime game to an evening slot when teams involved have played in Europe on the previous Wednesday.
    That's a sensible adjustment
  • Seems a good move for everyone involved, The Premier League gets a decent amount of money, as does the EFL, and the Broadcasters get the contracts at a decent price. 

Standing still in this market gives the Premier League an even bigger advantage, Germany had a down round, France TV deal collapsed and so they had to go back to their previous supplier at a discount, and Spain and Italy deals are a mess. 
  • cafcfan said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57098432

That's a shame......I was really looking forward to making a few more monthly subscriptions.....
  • The Premier League has agreed a new record £6.7bn domestic television deal for Sky and TNT to show up to 270 live games a season.
    The Saturday 3pm blackout will remain in place, but every 2pm Sunday kick-off will be televised.

Sky has been awarded four of the five packages and will show a minimum of 215 matches a season including Saturday 5.30pm kick-offs, Sunday 2pm and 4.30pm kick-offs, plus evening games on Mondays and Fridays and three midweek rounds.

TNT will show a minimum of 52 matches a season including all 12.30pm kick-offs on Saturdays and two midweek match rounds.

Sky Sports will also broadcast all 10 matches on the final day of each season.

Amazon, which shows 20 matches per season under the league's current deal, has not secured rights in the new agreement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67619756

• edited December 2023
    Only 110 games to not be screen a season 
  • How much would it cost to be able to watch all the games available?  
  • Sky knew they had to chuck the kitchen sink at this. If they’d allowed Amazon in (or any other streaming service), then the numbers for people willing to pay £100 a month for Sky TV would have fallen off a cliff.
  • clive said:
    The Premier League has agreed a new record £6.7bn domestic television deal for Sky and TNT to show up to 270 live games a season.
    The Saturday 3pm blackout will remain in place, but every 2pm Sunday kick-off will be televised.

Sky has been awarded four of the five packages and will show a minimum of 215 matches a season including Saturday 5.30pm kick-offs, Sunday 2pm and 4.30pm kick-offs, plus evening games on Mondays and Fridays and three midweek rounds.

TNT will show a minimum of 52 matches a season including all 12.30pm kick-offs on Saturdays and two midweek match rounds.

Sky Sports will also broadcast all 10 matches on the final day of each season.

Amazon, which shows 20 matches per season under the league's current deal, has not secured rights in the new agreement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67619756

At this rate there won't be any 3pm kick-offs on a Saturday in the top flight, maybe just the likes of Burnley v Luton that no-one gives a monkey's about.
  • There'll be a couple of Sat 3pm games because it works ok for overseas markets, but yes there doesn't seem to be much of a point in maintaining loads of games at that time. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe the Premier League should just move to Sunday as the “main day” and stop the pretence that the vast majority of matches scheduled for 3pm Saturday are actually going to go ahead at that time?
  • se9addick said:
    Maybe the Premier League should just move to Sunday as the “main day” and stop the pretence that the vast majority of matches scheduled for 3pm Saturday are actually going to go ahead at that time?
    Many of the other top flight leagues aren't magically bound to a single time in the weekend like the Premier League seems to be. 

Serie A every game is a different kickoff so theoretically every game can be on TV and not interfere with other kickoffs. 
  • Well, given Spurs were not in Europe this season, we was all hoping for a few more 3pm Saturday kick offs.
    But its not worked out like that...this includes all fixtures up to 31/12/2023 including the one cup game at Fulham.

2 home London derby games on a Monday night (WTF!), 2 away games on a Friday night, 2 games on a Thursday night (this Thursday is a ridiculous 8:15pm ko so god knows what time I'll get home back to BR5!), 3 away games as the early Sat kick off.

And just the 2 home games at 3pm on a Saturday.  Just 2.  Well thanks very much.

I think I'm right in saying that 18 of them 21 games have been officially televised.
  • And if you want to keep getting players earning £££ it will stay that way, perhaps unfortunately. At least we are all realising that supporters who go to games come low on the list of things to worry about. This will only change if people stop going - TV coverage of games in empty stadiums doesn't suit anyone. 
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Well, given Spurs were not in Europe this season, we was all hoping for a few more 3pm Saturday kick offs.
    But its not worked out like that...this includes all fixtures up to 31/12/2023 including the one cup game at Fulham.

2 home London derby games on a Monday night (WTF!), 2 away games on a Friday night, 2 games on a Thursday night (this Thursday is a ridiculous 8:15pm ko so god knows what time I'll get home back to BR5!), 3 away games as the early Sat kick off.

And just the 2 home games at 3pm on a Saturday.  Just 2.  Well thanks very much.

I think I'm right in saying that 18 of them 21 games have been officially televised.
    Get relegated to Division Three and have all the Saturday 3pm kick-offs you can handle ;)
    You have a very valid point.  Weekend games fair enough but Monday nights are the ones that grate the most.
  • JohnBoyUK said:
    Well, given Spurs were not in Europe this season, we was all hoping for a few more 3pm Saturday kick offs.

To be fair i think you've done well with those fixtures.

You've had 2 big games at home at 5.30 Saturday. As a home fan i think i'd prefer that kick off time as generally it means fans have had longer in the pub and the atmosphere is better.

And all the shit early kick offs have been away, which for me does you as the away side a favour as the home crowd/atmosphere is likely to be more subdued.
  • Sky and BT win Premier League TV rights

Win?!? WTAF?
    promise to pay several Kings' ransoms more than any other bidder
    That's simply buying it isn't it.

You have to imagine that the broadcasters will be getting on EPL and PGMOL's case about how shit the officiating and especially the VAR is
    They just bought a pantomime in which the jokes are all unintentional and getting cornier every week
  • To be fair i think you've done well with those fixtures.

You've had 2 big games at home at 5.30 Saturday. As a home fan i think i'd prefer that kick off time as generally it means fans have had longer in the pub and the atmosphere is better.

And all the shit early kick offs have been away, which for me does you as the away side a favour as the home crowd/atmosphere is likely to be more subdued.
    Fair enough, didn't look at it like that, think you've got a point.