Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Has a spelling mistake ever pissed you off

Comments

• Options
    Defense comes to mind.

All well and good in the USA but in England the word is defence.

The other one I remembered whilst writing is 'loose' when the correct word is 'lose' as in many of Charlton's results.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Defense comes to mind.

All well and good in the USA but in England the word is defence.

The other one I remembered whilst writing is 'loose' when the correct word is 'lose' as in many of Charlton's results.

"These new shoes feel a bit lose" - shurely shome mishtake.
  • Options
    Lookman for me :wink:
  • Options
    Ventokele
  • Options

Ventokele

Ventokele really boils my piss.

Di Silva, Megennis, Megannis, Mevididi, Maviidididi etc etc.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

No...but there is always one pedantic buffoon who reminds me.

That sounds like my cue...
    What grates with me in the OP is '...my dads name had been spelt wrong by the registrar.'
    Yes but the prick i am referring too posts on here and stalks me.
  • Options
    I'm surprised noone has mentioned this.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    People saying his instead of he's, when the meaning is he has.

So it should be he's (as in he has) had a good game, yet untold people say "his had a good game".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I drive past a garden centre 5 times a week. They have a blackboard advertising 'coinfers' at good prices. I'm no spelling expert or nazi but every day it makes my shit itch when I read it!
  • Options
    Try working in customer services...
  • Options
    Addickted said:

It's our duty to pull them up on the correct way the Queens English is written.

You are not qualified to do so. The expression should be "The King's English", regardless of the gender of the reigning monarch.

It is not supposed to suggest that the Queen owns the English language or has authority over how we spell words.

The reference is to the King James Bible, which was the major influence in introducing uniform spelling of words in English. Even in Shakespeare's heyday, only a few years earlier, common words were spelled in numerous different ways as there was no commonly agreed reference. King James Bible changed all that.
  • Options
    A shop I know which has a big board across the top of the shop with the word "equiptment"
  • Options

My name is Anthony.
    NB That's Anthony spelt with a f*****g aitch.
    ( Note to the Americans and under 30's - you don't f*****g pronounce the aitch, it's silent)
    :smile:

Are you an An-Tony or an Anth -ony?
  • Options
    I had a Hoseasons brochure many years ago...in the early days of personalised mail.....Had my Name on the address label, but the personalised letter inside started Dear C**T....wasnt impressed at the time, but saw the funny side later.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    image.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

The word accommodation. The times I have seen it with either one c or one m. Even on hotel or B&B notice boards. Sorry, just my pet hate

6:10 onwards....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-6vLp07ZePY
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

My name is actually Darrel so I see y's, l's, r's and n's dropping into my name or replacing other letters all the time.

Do not disrespect someone by spelling their name incorrectly, it's rather upsetting.

Have a Turkish mate called Cem (pronounced Gem). He put up on Facebook once an email exchange with a former HR assistant where he used to work where she'd magically started the email "Dear Cum".

His response was very good from memory with just the right blend of indignation and despair that would have left the sender squirming for the remainder of the week.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    dicklickcea diclexsia
    diklexcia dysleckcea
    dislexcia dsyxeliac
    lexceiadys dyslexia
  • Options

People saying his instead of he's, when the meaning is he has.

So it should be he's (as in he has) had a good game, yet untold people say "his had a good game".

So tell them, perhaps they'll stop then.
  • Options
    Thank you Ross, brilliant video, at least I am not the only one
  • Options

My name is Anthony.
    NB That's Anthony spelt with a f*****g aitch.
    ( Note to the Americans and under 30's - you don't f*****g pronounce the aitch, it's silent)
    :smile:

My name is Antony and not spelt with a aitch so don’t fucking include it when spelling my name or pronounce the aitch...it’s not fucking there for fuck sake!!!

....breath out....and relax...
  • Options
    Is that John with a H?

Yes of course it is.

If my name was spelled in some strange manner I would have mentioned it.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Of course we don’t regularly write letters these days so much of the polite conventions have dwindled away but I do remember for mischievous reasons often starting my letters to officialdom with 
    Dear Sir / Madman
  • Options
    My local Morrisons - the aisle with the paper, envelopes, pens, pencils, etc. is marked as the Stationary aisle...to be honest they are all non-moving so correct in one way...but why can't a professional outfit get it right (it's Stationery)...!