Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Are we always going to be an angry fanbase now?

2»

Comments

• Options
    There's the normal rational expressive frustration anger...then there's "pure nob head ventilation"

PNHB started creeping up at the valley in around the 2009.

The disorder was not necessarily the fault of charlton fans...but more of an end product of feeling a bit disillusioned, miserable and sad to say, bored.
    We were used to much better times and now we have THIS SHIT?!

It's also the result of something that stems from another disorder known as "I know everything-ism"

Which escalated among the human race in around 2007 and has skyrocketed ever since.

You combine these 2 and you get the very unforgiving moaner at everything that can't think straight.

A lot of it is not actually the direct fault of the fans. It's just life.
  • Options

Roland goes and the atmosphere surrounding the club improves.

Simples

Let's see where we are under new ownership.
  • Options

You are just getting old

Probably mate, just spent five minutes looking for my slippers
    String up the trouser legs in similar style to string through jacket with gloves works for me, although mixing the two up has caused some walking issues. ;)

Win or lose on the booze.
  • Options
    Having re-read my earlier post above what I was trying to say is the opportunity to stay angry and bitter about something that happened during a game is a lot greater nowadays.

God help fans of premier league clubs. They can stay angry right through Match of the Day and 5 x days of Talksport analysing everything from a bad pass to the colour of the players boots.
  • Options
    I think the world is angrier, possibly due to the magic of the internet. Those blaming Roland are probably partly right, but look at the threads about Chris Powell during the spiv era and you'll see a lot of anger and division.
  • Options
    Having the last decade being 10 shit awful seasons to one great one plays it's part too

I also think the general lack of spine and leadership across football makes me angry too
  • Options
    It's not just football but the element of social media means that people have more freedom to be 'outraged' at anything they want to be in any given moment.

Politics is one of the biggest examples of this in recent years.
  • Options

We've always seemed to love alienating a particular player.
    It didn't seem to bother me so much on the terraces as you could move away from the eejits.
    But seats have made me want to commit murder on numerous occasions.

Agree with that, really don't enjoy sitting at football that much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We've always seemed to love alienating a particular player.
    It didn't seem to bother me so much on the terraces as you could move away from the eejits.
    But seats have made me want to commit murder on numerous occasions.

Agree with that, really don't enjoy sitting at football that much.
    One of the positives from the last few years has been that I don't have to sit near anywhere near anyone now! Can just watch the game and chunter away to myself......

• Options
    Yes, I would say, but so are most other fan bases. The exceptions are those that are enjoying an unusually successful time relative to their last 30-40 years. Expectations are high these days and every mistake is there for all to see and be amplified by the press, social media etc. Supporters of top sides are just as moany and angry too (if not more so). I think the days of enjoying and accepting a modest standard of football are not easily tolerated at professional level.
  • Options
    Over here everyone seems to want to be outraged, there will be a massive outbreak of road rage here sooner or later...seriously the worst driving you will ever see and everyone if F*ucking angry all the time....so much for easy going fair dinkum Aussies.
  • Options
    Not sure about angrier, but I think the Duchatelet era has left Addicks less patient.
    If the new owners make a string of unsuitable appointments and refuse to engage with fans, I doubt we will again wait well over a year before voicing our concerns to the world.
  • Options
    Welly said:

Over the years it has allways seemed to me that our best players have been sold over the managers head , and certainly with this mob owning us now.

Cmnon now, we have always been a selling club
  • Options
    Addickted said:

What an idiotic thread to start.

Think it's an interesting question, although one which could be applied to a lot of clubs.
  • Options

Obviously an element of how football fans are throughout the country, but growing up we were always fairly nice and forgiving fanbase in comparison to others.

Of course it’s always frustrating conceding late goals, but it is a part of the game and Charlton letting you down is not a new phenomenon. Guilty of it myself to an extent, but slight worry the last 5-6 years has carried so much crap and frustration it’s going to take a long time until some people get back to enjoy being a Charlton fan again.

You only have to see the amount of people who for one reason or another have never taken to Robinson and are waiting for us to screw up so they can launch into him, and the pretty sh*tty ‘support players like Lennon and Sarr have received in recent months.

I agree there is a big underperformance going on this season, so not disputing that, but just feels a lot more vitriol these days imo.

Thoughts?

I think we are going to be angry and short fused for quite a while.
  • Options
    I think we will continue being angry until we see the club back at the level it should be. Shouldn't be struggling to make the play offs in the third tier.
  • Options
    Message boards can breed antagonism, and social media tend to polarise opinion. It's all to easy to get into arguments about nothing at all.

It would be good to think that with different owners we'll have a new spring in our step. No more 'Charltonisation' of players, no more conceding in the last five minutes. No more boiled Haddock for the players' lunch.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

You are just getting old

Only five?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think it is a symptom of the fact that the amount of money now in football has: (a) generally made it less of a competition; and (b) severely damaged a number of clubs either permanently or for very long periods.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

You are just getting old

Were they on your feet ?

I think society in general is intolerant and “angry” these days. I fear that the answer to your question is yes.

As others have said, the internet now allows keyboard warriors a means of venting their not always rational spleens.

Anger and frustration has however always been part and parcel of supporting our wonderful club. I remember as a yoof Harry Gregory being booed roundly by sections of the crowd but no internet then to build up a broader resentment - just steam radio in my day. Curbs getting stick - I’m sure Jimmy Seed used to as well.

But yes, generally I would agree with you SHG that society is less tolerant than it used to be although of course football reflects that rather than causes it.

P.S. anyone who disagrees with my opinion can just f*ck off!

Nowhere near as much as gets given out these days.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Message boards can breed antagonism, and social media tend to polarise opinion. It's all to easy to get into arguments about nothing at all.

It would be good to think that with different owners we'll have a new spring in our step. No more 'Charltonisation' of players, no more conceding in the last five minutes. No more boiled Haddock for the players' lunch.

Bet you we'll still concede in tbe last five.
  • Options
    I was born angry. Too late to change now.