Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Doncaster Rovers v Charlton Athletic post-match views 10th February 2018

Comments

• Options

Reeves was put clean through about eight yards out on the right side of the area in the first half and he passed the ball backwards to the penalty spot, where it was charged down. No idea what he was thinking.

SERIOUSLY??? - Reeves is in the EXACT same position as the Doncaster scorer yet passes??? - Just put your foot through it!!!
    Just pass it into the fucking corner
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

That player standing three yards behind everyone on the six yard box is Lennon. Ridiculous. Don't agree with the substitution but it's absolutely awful defending from him. What is he doing over there?
    Yeah, looks as if he played the bloke onside. Rest of the team had held a decent line.

And I say that as a Lennon defender.
    Wouldn't have made any difference - the Donny scorer is onside because the original shot first hit a defender = played onside.
    I'm not so sure he wasn't in what would've been an offside position went the shot came in. Hard to tell though because the camera angle isn't wide enough.
    It always used to be " at the moment when the ball is played".
    But at least it was a clearly defined point.

They keep fudging around with the law and now it causes even more controversy.
    In this particular instance today, the ball has taken a huge deflection and changed course.

Perhaps in the referee's opinion (which is all that counts, anyway), he'd decided the ball was last played by a defender?

• Options

Reeves was put clean through about eight yards out on the right side of the area in the first half and he passed the ball backwards to the penalty spot, where it was charged down. No idea what he was thinking.

SERIOUSLY??? - Reeves is in the EXACT same position as the Doncaster scorer yet passes??? - Just put your foot through it!!!
    Agreed, when you’re taught to shoot/cross to far post as any touch will lead the ball towards the back of the next , there can be no excuses!

• Options

By the time Magennis has controlled the ball there are six Doncaster players between him and the goal...

Even Magennis should have stuck his foot through it!!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Rob said:

SDAddick said:

Rob said:

All down to Robinson. He gave the initiative right back to Donny with his substitutions at the end. Especially the Da Silva/Lennon switch. It didn't need doing. We were handling them just fine. Why change something that has been working for 93 minutes. Unbelievably bad subs.

You could have said the same thing last week when he brought on Aribo and we looked like we'd score next. I wouldn't have brought off DaSilva, I'd probably have gone five at the back. Actually, I wouldn't have had Lennon in the squad, he's just not good enough. Maybe a loan away next year or something, but as things stand I'd move him on in the summer and bring Dijksteel into the squad for him on Tuesday.

This one feel like a real kick in the bollocks. We vastly outplayed them in the second half and their goal was their only chance. We actually defended well throughout. Bauer makes us much, much calmer at the back.

Should have been 2-3 up when we conceded. Substitution makes sense on paper to some extent, but again why not just go five at the back for a couple minutes. But ultimately, Robinson wasn't the one standing in front of the keeper five yards out of position playing everyone onside.
    Yes, but it's about changing the momentum of the game at crucial times. Whatever had happened earlier in the game we were still 1-0 up and cruising. Da Silva had been having a stormer and bringing him off for Lennon was not a good move. Why change something that doesn't need fixing. Substitutions can affect the initiative of the game and that's what I think happened today. Robinson should be able to read better what's happening on the field. I think that's his weak spot especially at the back. I think he needs a good defensive minded coach working with him.
    I agree. Actually, I think he needs really any other senior, experienced coach added to his set up. Right now I think we're desperately missing a tactician, and someone with some experience. We have two coaches, and one was on the pitch for the last ten minutes.
    I actually think we have three coaches as Robinson is no manager. he's seems good with the youngsters and possibly can motivate players but that's about it. he should be second to a man who actually knows a bit more about the game.
  • Options
    Trouble after game.
  • Options
    Trouble?
  • Options
    Just came in from a plant patrol. One of our security guards said great result for you today when I didn't want to know the score....So I thought a nice little 2 or 3 nil win...just looked the score....blahhhhh.
  • Options
    Sadly we have a manager and a team of players who are bottlers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redsek said:

Trouble after game.

robinson calling people out again?
  • Options

Even a sidefoot would probably have done it. The ball was bobbling along at a fair lick so smashing it might not have been the way to go.

• Options
    Lennon is fucking tin pot. Conference at best.

THIS IS CHARLTON ATHLETIC.

Cursed.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Rob said:

SDAddick said:

Rob said:

All down to Robinson. He gave the initiative right back to Donny with his substitutions at the end. Especially the Da Silva/Lennon switch. It didn't need doing. We were handling them just fine. Why change something that has been working for 93 minutes. Unbelievably bad subs.

You could have said the same thing last week when he brought on Aribo and we looked like we'd score next. I wouldn't have brought off DaSilva, I'd probably have gone five at the back. Actually, I wouldn't have had Lennon in the squad, he's just not good enough. Maybe a loan away next year or something, but as things stand I'd move him on in the summer and bring Dijksteel into the squad for him on Tuesday.

This one feel like a real kick in the bollocks. We vastly outplayed them in the second half and their goal was their only chance. We actually defended well throughout. Bauer makes us much, much calmer at the back.

Should have been 2-3 up when we conceded. Substitution makes sense on paper to some extent, but again why not just go five at the back for a couple minutes. But ultimately, Robinson wasn't the one standing in front of the keeper five yards out of position playing everyone onside.
    Yes, but it's about changing the momentum of the game at crucial times. Whatever had happened earlier in the game we were still 1-0 up and cruising. Da Silva had been having a stormer and bringing him off for Lennon was not a good move. Why change something that doesn't need fixing. Substitutions can affect the initiative of the game and that's what I think happened today. Robinson should be able to read better what's happening on the field. I think that's his weak spot especially at the back. I think he needs a good defensive minded coach working with him.
    I agree. Actually, I think he needs really any other senior, experienced coach added to his set up. Right now I think we're desperately missing a tactician, and someone with some experience. We have two coaches, and one was on the pitch for the last ten minutes.
    I actually think we have three coaches as Robinson is no manager. he's seems good with the youngsters and possibly can motivate players but that's about it. he should be second to a man who actually knows a bit more about the game.
    I don't agree with that, I think a manager should be a coach first and foremost. I think that old set up of, let's call it the "Redknapp way" where you're there for transfers, hire a bunch of coaches to take training, and maybe occasionally turn up to training is outdated. Would Robinson benefit from going somewhere with a vastly experienced and skilled coach, preferably abroad? Absolutely. But I don't think his problem is that he's a coach.
  • Options

Bottlers is a bit harsh.

But there is 'anxiety syndrome' ....... when defenders hit panic mode.

• Options
    My word. I can only assume Karl has them doing this deliberately so we have no chance of promotion and the old scrote naffs off quicker
  • Options
    In my opinion, we lost 3 points last week because Robinson couldn't see how weak we were at the back, didn't change it, and it cost us in the end. And this week we lost 2 points because we were strong at the back and he decided to unnecessarily change it. Unbelievably naive both weeks.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Sunday League player scores that.

Or at least makes an attempt to score it.
  • Options

I don't think the players are bottlers. I thought we played well today. I also don't think Robinson is a bottler. I just don't think he's very tactically astute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Wigan, Scunthorpe and Shreswbury lose. Rotherham win, everyone else draws.
    What a missed opportunity, but at least it's pretty much as you were, and we still have two games in hand on some.

Sadly one of those games is @ Shrewsbury

Would much rather have the points for once
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Reeves in being useless again shocker
  • Options

Reeves is being useless again shocker

He was kind of ok aside from that miss (and a terrible miscued cross) - almost scored a blinder and linked play ok
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Plymouth Argyle, 'no-hopers' marooned at the bottom of the table for almost half a season - are now just 3 points behind us.

Rule 1 in the Third Division:
    First build a solid team unit, not just a collection of tricky ball-players.

We were solid and dominant today! Just made a terrible substitution and the ball fell kindly for them. It was their second chance of the entire game
  • Options
    Been saying it for weeks and I’ll keep saying it. It’s the defence that’s our big problem.

Playoffs still possible but something has to change very soon. We don’t score enough goals to compensate for a shit defence.
  • Options
    What the fuck is Reeves doing with that chance . Heard he played well today , but come on that is mental .
  • Options
    Only listened on VP but to say that Terry Smith and Greg Stubley were incredulous at the loss of two points is an understatement. We're paying an extremely high price for our inability to score a second goal and for lamentable defending and game management in the closing minutes of matches.

Bringing Harry Lennon on in injury time was, even without the benefit of hindsight, an uneccesarily risky move. Da Silva had apparently been untroubled throughout and has the ability to keep possession. It also hardly sounded from the commentary that Donny were subjecting us to an aerial bombardment. It's also quite difficult for players to get into a match in the last few minutes - I remember Russell Slade bringing Lennon on right at the end of a game at Port Vale and the player almost immediately conceded an equalising penalty in injury time.

Hugely frustrating.
  • Options
    Robinson fuck up of the highest order. He really needs to be taken to task over recent team selections and substitutions. Criminal what has happened it the last two games. Ps he fucked up my accumulator as well, grrrr!!