Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Buying a holiday place in Spain

13»

Comments

• edited March 2018

Was in Mojacar (amongst other places) last September, lovely old town as well as a beach resort close by.....from there we drove up to Trevelez and Pitres in the Alpujarras mountains...lovely part of the world.

Love Mojacar. Randomly selected it 10 years ago for a holiday and have been back a few times since. Old town is lovely and the 'playa' is perfect; quiet, even during peak season, but with a decent handful of bars, restaurants etc and a decent sized ex-pat community.
  • Mojacar is the place i'm intending to spend watching the World Cup this year. Never been there, but been 'sold' by others who have. Was intending to go to Majorca (Puerto Pollensa) - but just so much more expensive than Mojacar.
  • Fiona, did you make your choice?
  • Another check you need to bear in mind, I believe foreigners cannot bequeath property - it reverts to the government on your death.  There used to be restrictions on selling & bringing money back out, may not be the case now.
  • Fiona, did you make your choice?
    We are not buying for a few years. But using the time between now and then to stay in/visit different areas and learn Spanish. I am looking to go part-time next year, so looking to get a long-term rental in SW France or Spain until we buy when we both retire
  • Mojacar is the place i'm intending to spend watching the World Cup this year. Never been there, but been 'sold' by others who have. Was intending to go to Majorca (Puerto Pollensa) - but just so much more expensive than Mojacar.
    Bar out there owned by a Luton fan....nice bloke, can't recall the name of the bar though....worth visiting the old town, 3-4 miles in land and if you get a car you can go to mini-Holywood, where the spaghetti westerns were filmed....a bit pricey but worth it if you like that type of thing.
  • Another check you need to bear in mind, I believe foreigners cannot bequeath property - it reverts to the government on your death.  There used to be restrictions on selling & bringing money back out, may not be the case now.

Thanks. Am getting advice from colleagues who work in Malaga re all that sort of stuff
  • Curb_It said:
    My friends have moved to the Port of Duquesa which is near Gibraltar. Bought there after a year. Very expatty. All the restaurants round the Port seemed to be Indian/Chinese and not much in the way of Tapas. It definitely has other more authentic sections. We walked up to the next town Sabinillas which was lovely. Near Gib airport, a longer drive for Malaga. We stayed near Estepona last year also. That is lovely but can imagine being much more expensive. My sister is getting married in La Cala in May so spending a bit more time there again. Not been there yet.
    Bought an off plan property in Duquesa in the boom times when development started and lost the whole 25% deposit when the developers went pop.  Bank guarantees we thought we had were a joke and the lawyers are spivs.  Still paying legal fees for Court hearings that never seem to materialise.
  • Curb_It said:
    My friends have moved to the Port of Duquesa which is near Gibraltar. Bought there after a year. Very expatty. All the restaurants round the Port seemed to be Indian/Chinese and not much in the way of Tapas. It definitely has other more authentic sections. We walked up to the next town Sabinillas which was lovely. Near Gib airport, a longer drive for Malaga. We stayed near Estepona last year also. That is lovely but can imagine being much more expensive. My sister is getting married in La Cala in May so spending a bit more time there again. Not been there yet.
    Bought an off plan property in Duquesa in the boom times when development started and lost the whole 25% deposit when the developers went pop.  Bank guarantees we thought we had were a joke and the lawyers are spivs.  Still paying legal fees for Court hearings that never seem to materialise.
    I have a pal who did similar. He paid about 90 euros to register his claim - and NOTHING YET, but all the signs are for full repayment with interest in a PPI stylee. 

Thanks. Am getting advice from colleagues who work in Malaga re all that sort of stuff
    This is very serious - one of my best friends has a place in Spain and he expects to leave it to his children, so I am interested to hear if this is true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure where you heard that from @harveys_gardener. As long as you do a will locally there isn’t any problem leaving the property to who ever you like. 
  • Chaz Hill said:
    Not sure where you heard that from @harveys_gardener. As long as you do a will locally there isn’t any problem leaving the property to who ever you like. 

Yes, i agree, i would be very surprised if you couldnt leave the property to your children. Im sure it would have been in the headlines before.
  • Chaz Hill said:
    Not sure where you heard that from @harveys_gardener. As long as you do a will locally there isn’t any problem leaving the property to who ever you like. 

Correct - but a caveat in that your Spanish will should only include property and assets held in Spain. Any assets held for example in the UK should be covered by a UK will.
  • Curb_It said:
    That's crap.  I hope you get it sorted one day.  There were a few empty shells when i was last there, nearish the main A road.  
  • inheritance can get messy in Spain, although believe under EU law you can chose which countries law you use, but that can change come October.

i helped my aunt with a Spanish property some years ago, back then it had a fixed split for the property.
  • Chaz Hill said:

Yes, i agree, i would be very surprised if you couldnt leave the property to your children. Im sure it would have been in the headlines before.
    I know when my uncle died, I think he owned the villa outright, my Aunt couldn't inherit but the government granted he leave to stay there while she was alive.  I know when my Dad got to 70 we knew of this stipulation for his apartment and we were nervous of it going up in smoke but he sold and smuggled the proceeds (in sterling) back in his shoes.  My aunt has now died and I stand to benefit from about 1/20th of the estate but I understand the Spanish place is not part of probate.
  • edited August 2019
    Mojacar is the place i'm intending to spend watching the World Cup this year. Never been there, but been 'sold' by others who have. Was intending to go to Majorca (Puerto Pollensa) - but just so much more expensive than Mojacar.
    Bar out there owned by a Luton fan....nice bloke, can't recall the name of the bar though....worth visiting the old town, 3-4 miles in land and if you get a car you can go to mini-Holywood, where the spaghetti westerns were filmed....a bit pricey but worth it if you like that type of thing.
    Jamie is his name - been mates with him for a couple of years as have been going to Mojacar for about 7 years.

I've literally just left that bar - the Rose & Crown. Meeting him in there to watch The Ashes tomorrow. 

My old man has just completed on a house out here. 
  • Rob7Lee said:
    inheritance can get messy in Spain, although believe under EU law you can chose which countries law you use, but that can change come October.

i helped my aunt with a Spanish property some years ago, back then it had a fixed split for the property.
    At the moment you can choose which country laws you wish - but before the owner dies.

Spanish law will give 50% to spouse IF still married and the other 50% is divided into 3 equally parts and divided between 1/3 children, 1/3 children split as per will (which can be unequal) and a 1/3 to whoever you want.

The spouse retains a lifetime right to live in the property.

All what if’s are buts also set down.

Nothing to fear, but as in Britain, speak to your solicitor, and get a will.

I have a Spanish will that covers that I want it dealt with in Britain and what we want if that is not possible.

• Thanks Redrobo, Laws have changed since my father's time. My uncle being childless has allowed Spanish government to rob me. Although sure my Aunt didn't get 50% or she'd have sold her share.
    Jamie is his name - been mates with him for a couple of years as have been going to Mojacar for about 7 years.

I've literally just left that bar - the Rose & Crown. Meeting him in there to watch The Ashes tomorrow. 

My old man has just completed on a house out here. 
    Thanks....asked MrsH the name and she couldn't remember either.
  • Sponsored links:

Not intended as a political point but EU laws would prevent such restrictions under Freedom of Movement I'd have thought.
  • Redrobo said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    inheritance can get messy in Spain, although believe under EU law you can chose which countries law you use, but that can change come October.

At the moment you can choose which country laws you wish - but before the owner dies.

Spanish law will give 50% to spouse IF still married and the other 50% is divided into 3 equally parts and divided between 1/3 children, 1/3 children split as per will (which can be unequal) and a 1/3 to whoever you want.

I have a Spanish will that covers that I want it dealt with in Britain and what we want if that is not possible.

Will this all still apply post brexit as assume it's EU law, you might not be able to chose UK law then?
  • Rob7Lee said:
    Redrobo said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Will this all still apply post brexit as assume it's EU law, you might not be able to chose UK law then?
    I think this is Spanish law, but like buying property anywhere, a good solicitor is essential.

By the way, if you intend to let out your property you need to check out Tourist Licenses. Thinking you can ignore this is stupid and the laws have recently changed and there are quite high fines. Also check what rules your community has. They can impose up to 20% additional charge to your community charge. All very sensible in my opinion.