Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bt sport vs Sky

Interesting BT sport might not keep the football rights?.

Comments

• Options
    Almost certainly a streaming service will bag some/all the rights - Netflix, Amazon Prime et al.
  • Options
    Think Facebook will grab a fair bit.
  • Options
    Was £5 billion last time they looking for £7 billion this time no wonder all the money being spent in the transfer market.
  • Options
    Haven’t they agreed to cross platform their content soon? This will be to protect both their content against the big streaming bidders.
  • Options
    Can’t wait for a streaming service to get the rights.
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

Let’s hope sky lose it as well

• Options
    edited February 2018
    If a streaming service a la Netflix, Prime etc or a Facebook, Twitter etc get some games, will they likely tack it on as a free additional product to current packages or charge more?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

If a streaming service a la Netflix, Prime etc or a Facebook, Twitter etc get some games, will they liekly tack it on as a free additional product to current packages or charge more?

Well considering they will be shelling out a significant proportion of the touted £7bn rights the cost will be passed on to subscribers.

Certainly won't be free.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gumbo said:

My guess is they pick Leeds games as its by far the most viewed team Championship wise, so doubt it would change much whoever had rights to showing the football
  • Options
    Will not be sad to see the end of BT Sport covering football. At least with SKY you can watch on devices other than the TV a lot easier if you have Sky Go or a PS4.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

If a streaming service a la Netflix, Prime etc or a Facebook, Twitter etc get some games, will they likely tack it on as a free additional product to current packages or charge more?

As an example: the streaming rights for Thursday night NFL games went to Twitter in 2016 and then Amazon in 2017.

Twitter was available to watch for anyone with an account (for free) and Amazon made it available to watch for anyone with a Prime subscription. All matches that were streamed on Twitter and Amazon were also shown on TV alongside the streams.

I'd expect the Premier League to offer "streaming" packages which your Amazon, Twitter etc would compete for separately. They'd get exclusive streaming rights so you might expect to see Sky being blocked from showing Premier League on Sky Go for example.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Will not be sad to see the end of BT Sport covering football. At least with SKY you can watch on devices other than the TV a lot easier if you have Sky Go or a PS4.

You can watch BT Sport on iPad and iPhone they have an app , can’t watch it abroad with VPN , they’re on that trick sadly
  • Options
    Gumbo said:

not even a big club anymore, got a pretty big fan base but then so have a lot of other champ clubs, that havent had a sniff of getting promotion in a few years.

i dont even know the last time leeds were in contention for the playoffs
  • Options

If a streaming service a la Netflix, Prime etc or a Facebook, Twitter etc get some games, will they liekly tack it on as a free additional product to current packages or charge more?

Well considering they will be shelling out a significant proportion of the touted £7bn rights the cost will be passed on to subscribers.

Certainly won't be free.
    Or they could see that buying the rights would get them x amount more subscribers which would cover the expense. Facebook would just sell your data to more people.
  • Options
    I could've sworn that Sky used to show much much more League 1 & 2 games than they have in the last couple of years
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I could've sworn that Sky used to show much much more League 1 & 2 games than they have in the last couple of years

They usually show them around the International Breaks which will have been standard

They also show a few more as the season reaches the pivotal stages... As you can see below Blackburn and Wigan the main focal point from League One and then Luton / Notts County being prioritised from League Two

http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-league-one-football-on-tv.html
    http://www.live-footballontv.com/live-league-two-football-on-tv.html

In a way I'm surprised they've not selected Charlton v Rotherham for the 2nd April seeing that could very much be a fight for the Play-Offs game rather than seeing if Wigan can tighten their hold on the automatic spots against Portsmouth.

Not too fussed though as we've not turned up for the TV games
  • Options
    I don't think you should pay to watch football. It should be a right. Football used to be about the fans. It has been ruined by business.
  • Options
    dizzee said:

I don't think you should pay to watch football. It should be a right. Football used to be about the fans. It has been ruined by business.

Tickets used to be free?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dizzee said:

Tickets used to be free?
    Even better.
  • Options

cafctom said:

You can watch BT Sport on iPad and iPhone they have an app , can’t watch it abroad with VPN , they’re on that trick sadly
    The App works fine (or you can watch it on your PC)

I tend to stream BT Sport from my tablet to my TV with a Chromecast
  • Options

cafctom said:

I have the BT Sport app on my phone, but I've never been able to enjoy watching a game that isn't on a TV. The Sky Go app for PS4 is perfect, but BT Sport don't have one of their own.

The only alternative is to watch it on a laptop and plug it into the TV via an HDMI cable.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I have the BT Sport app on my phone, but I've never been able to enjoy watching a game that isn't on a TV. The Sky Go app for PS4 is perfect, but BT Sport don't have one of their own.

The only alternative is to watch it on a laptop and plug it into the TV via an HDMI cable.
    Use a Chromecast to stream from your laptop/phone to your TV. It plugs in the HDMI socket on the TV, and just requires a small App to operate
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

BT is much less restrictive than the sky app. No issue with using multiple devices as long as your not watching on more than 2 simultaneously. I think sky limit to two devices and you can only change one device per month.

Also allows chromecast streaming which works brilliantly. Lastly they don't charge extra for HD, think it's ridiculous that sky charge extra for extra pixels to make their product look better, it's not exactly a new technology any more.

If it came to it I'd much rather BT pick up more football which doesn't look likely.
  • Options
    The thing is they (BT) paid silly money last time to ‘win’ two packages that sky couldn’t have anyway due to restrictions on number of packages anyone could have.

Now they have to pay even more silly money to protect that previous overpayment and prevent the streaming services grabbing them.

I thought the premier league also wanted to stream their own content which is why some people doubt the big boys will pay too much for streaming rights when the content owner are in direct competition with them.