Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gas and Electric Advice Please!

Would appreciate a bit of advice in relation to the following.

Switched my gas and electric from EDF to a fixed term deal with EON in March last year. Monthly direct debit, so it looks after itself, you just have to give them a meter reading every once in a while. I checked after the switch from my previous supplier was completed, and could see they'd taken some money out of my account on the correct date, so all good. Didn't really give it another thought after that.

Around November, it occurred to me that I hadn't received any requests for meter readings, but I never got round to doing anything about it. On 15 December, I received an email from EON advising me that my switch is underway! At this point, I thought it was time to investigate, so I checked my bank statements and found that they'd not taken a payment since July. I then logged into my EON account, which implied that my account had been closed in July. Also, it only referred to my electrical account, nothing about gas at all.

On 23 December, I received an email stating the following (note that it says they supply both my gas and electric):

We've reviewed your Direct Debit and now we supply both your gas and electricity, you're no longer paying the right amount to cover the energy you're using. To make sure you keep on track we need to change it to £0.00.

Over the next 6 days, I received 3 further emails. First one asks me for my electricity meter reading ahead of my switch. Second one tells me they've set up my direct debit for £26 a month (electricity only). The third one tells me that my switch is now complete. I've checked my bank account, and they've started charging me again (only for electricity though).

I am moving out at the end of this month and renting the place out. I got a questionnaire from the lettings agent asking me who my existing suppliers are so that they can let the tenants know. Better sort this out once and for all, I thought. I called the Meter Point Administration Service to get them to confirm who my gas supplier is - unbelievably, they have told me that my gas meter isn't registered with a supplier and suggested that I pick a supplier and ask to register with them!

So the long and short of it is that I'm now paying for electricity again after a 5 month break that I didn't ask for, and I appear to have been heating my flat on a free gas supply since March last year!

What should I do? Should I do anything? Have I got lucky or am I about to get hit with a bill for a year's worth of gas when I move out at the end of the month?

Comments

• Options
    It is what is called a shipper less meter, i would sort it out as suppliers actively look for this register them and then bill you what they like.

I personal would call Eon Energy and ask that they register or you as agreed, they should then use the read you give them from today and that should allow you not to be billed for gas used prior. If you leave it any supplier can find it and register the meter and back charge.
  • Options

It is what is called a shipper less meter, i would sort it out as suppliers actively look for this register them and then bill you what they like.

I personal would call Eon Energy and ask that they register or you as agreed, they should then use the read you give them from today and that should allow you not to be billed for gas used prior. If you leave it any supplier can find it and register the meter and back charge.

Thanks for that, very useful. I'll do as you suggest.
  • Options
    I'm afraid that's about typical for Eon, their admin by all reports is preposterously bad.
    Take your meter readings.
    Presumably you took readings when you switched?
    If so there's no dispute how much energy you've used.
    Write to their accounts & customer service departments, spelling out what you signed up to, with copies of all you've sent them, refer to all correspondence you've had from them; work out what you should have been charged, based on your readings, tell them; state baldly that their clear dereliction of duty amounts to breach of contract, you're perfectly willing to pay for what you've used but Eon's incompetence and negligence must be acknowledged; give them a deadline of 1 week to respond and 2 weeks to issue a corrected bill; with full recognition of their failings. Tell them that you intend to seek a new supplier on the day after your fixed period comes to an end and that they will then have 14 days from your final readings to send you a final account, after which your Direct debit will be cancelled and they will not receive another penny.
    Given the fact that they are a shambolic shower of shit I don't expect you'll get a sensible response but they won't have a leg to stand on if they want to get difficult. Under no circumstances expect to get off paying what you should have done, but you might find you won't have to pay them much for months to come.
    Obv when you've got tenants they'll have to sort themselves out, make sure you take readings the day before they move in and don't rely on any estate agent doing that for you cos they are all without exception lazy snivelling crooks who will cheat their own children out of £2.50 when they get the chance and regard landlords/tenants as cash machines.
    N.B. absolutely imperative to take photos of all meter readings 1 so Eon don't get to fuck you over and 2 so your tenants don't either.
  • Options
    and on that note, this thread can be closed.
  • Options

I'm afraid that's about typical for Eon, their admin by all reports is preposterously bad.
    Take your meter readings.
    Presumably you took readings when you switched?
    If so there's no dispute how much energy you've used.
    Write to their accounts & customer service departments, spelling out what you signed up to, with copies of all you've sent them, refer to all correspondence you've had from them; work out what you should have been charged, based on your readings, tell them; state baldly that their clear dereliction of duty amounts to breach of contract, you're perfectly willing to pay for what you've used but Eon's incompetence and negligence must be acknowledged; give them a deadline of 1 week to respond and 2 weeks to issue a corrected bill; with full recognition of their failings. Tell them that you intend to seek a new supplier on the day after your fixed period comes to an end and that they will then have 14 days from your final readings to send you a final account, after which your Direct debit will be cancelled and they will not receive another penny.
    Given the fact that they are a shambolic shower of shit I don't expect you'll get a sensible response but they won't have a leg to stand on if they want to get difficult. Under no circumstances expect to get off paying what you should have done, but you might find you won't have to pay them much for months to come.
    Obv when you've got tenants they'll have to sort themselves out, make sure you take readings the day before they move in and don't rely on any estate agent doing that for you cos they are all without exception lazy snivelling crooks who will cheat their own children out of £2.50 when they get the chance and regard landlords/tenants as cash machines.
    N.B. absolutely imperative to take photos of all meter readings 1 so Eon don't get to fuck you over and 2 so your tenants don't either.

• Options
    Don't tell em Pike!
  • Options
    I am a meter reader for one of the big 6 . For starters if your Gas meter is not on the national data base no other supplier can claim it . I take it when you was with EDF they was the supplier . When you switch the Old Supplier is suppose to tell the new supplier the change of supply read and the meter numbers . I would consider going to the ombudsman to sort out the mess but the gas meter should have what we call a M Plain number which is very your property only . Also a word of warning of you are renting out your flat I would consider putting in key meters . Any debt run up by the tenants if they do a runner can be down to you
  • Options
    https://www.energy-uk.org.uk/files/docs/Industry codes/Code of Practice for accurate bills/Codeofpracticeforaccuratebills2017.pdf

@MrLargo This is also worth looking at and quoting to your supplier. Keep a note of all your correspondence because from my experience at work and with my parents the supplier will keep mucking up. All round we saved £5k because the supplier completely failed to do what they were meant to.
  • Options
    Thanks all, very helpful, much appreciated