Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Deserter South London Book

Comments

• Just checked old emails, turned out I didn't complete my pledge. My mistake. Look forward to buying
  • Vincenzo said:

Thank you to everyone who pledged for our book. We have reached 100% funding now. If anyone still wants to be involved they're still welcome to but the important thing is we know the book is going to happen now and should be out in late summer. Just got to write the flippin' thing now.

Many thanks to so many Lifers who backed us.

Glad you spotted the knock up front room in Lewisham, walked past it the other day and said to my wife that you would spot it. It came up on my Facebook page...keep up the good work.
  • Can I go and buy the physical book somewhere?
  • My copy has made it to New York. Tracking tells me it should be delivered on Wednesday. I can only assume it’s walking to Boston.
  • I am a very lucky bloke. The wonderful Pico of this parish gave me a copy at the match today.
  • seth plum said:

Can I go and buy the physical book somewhere?

Glad to read you've got one, Seth.

For anyone who doesn't want to buy it from Amazon, it's also available at Foyles and the London Review Bookshop.

Waterstones and Book etc are out of stock at the moment and it's already had to be reprinted, which is amazing. Should be back in stock there at the end of the week.

Am hoping some South London independents will get it too. I know Riverside Books at Hays Galleria, London Bridge have ordered it, as well as Bookseller Crow in Upper Norwood.
  • Pico said:

Mine arrived yesterday. On page 74 already. Loved the trip round Thamesmead.

Page 75 covers Charlton cemetery but I'm saving that delight until after breakfast.

Great to read that, Pico. Thanks.
  • Got mine today.....via Amazon boat locker.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pico posted one through my door this morning and I have been getting stuck in whilst 'working from home.' Had a big laugh to myself about the smoke bomb let off in The Wat Tyler and when the smoke cleared the fruit machine had gone. I was in the pub at the time and the fruit machine was found around the back minutes later with the back prized-off and the coin tubes gone! Coincidentally it was a weekday and my flat mate and I were on it, Deserter-stylee.
  • Riviera said:

On the bar at The Long Pond

Nice one. Cheers, Mike.
  • Pico posted one through my door this morning and I have been getting stuck in whilst 'working from home.' Had a big laugh to myself about the smoke bomb let off in The Wat Tyler and when the smoke cleared the fruit machine had gone. I was in the pub at the time and the fruit machine was found around the back minutes later with the back prized-off and the coin tubes gone! Coincidentally it was a weekday and my flat mate and I were on it, Deserter-stylee.

Glad you're enjoying it, your Holiness.

• This sounds just the ticket. On the birthday/Christmas present list
  • Finished it in 3 sessions - really enjoyed it. Made me realise that I've been to a lot of pubs, but there's a whole lot more still to be explored :smiley:
  • Vincenzo - all done and I think I have something in my eye. It would make a rollicking good film but I am guessing you already know that...
  • @Vincenzo is there anything in the book about #cafc that would justify the museum buying a copy?

Sadly the editor cut the "Pre-Match Pints" chapter, so there's nothing about the club now, I'm afraid. A few mentions of Charlton though, and I see the website says you promote both the club and the local community, so I'll drop a copy off, hopefully this morning.
  • The book is a gem.
    Especially if you want to know about places to consume alcohol.
    Anyway it is funny, and so affectionate about our south of the river life...mind you I'm not sure it would sell well north of the river, Scotland.
  • Vincenzo said:

@Vincenzo is there anything in the book about #cafc that would justify the museum buying a copy?

Sadly the editor cut the "Pre-Match Pints" chapter, so there's nothing about the club now, I'm afraid. A few mentions of Charlton though, and I see the website says you promote both the club and the local community, so I'll drop a copy off, hopefully this morning.
    Thanks the museum's copy and good to meet you Vince.

I hope Robbie Elliot new home is a happy one
  • seth plum said:

The book is a gem.
    Anyway it is funny, and so affectionate about our south of the river life...mind you I'm not sure it would sell well north of the river, Scotland.

Cheers, Seth. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Vincenzo said:

@Vincenzo is there anything in the book about #cafc that would justify the museum buying a copy?

Thanks the museum's copy and good to meet you Vince.

I hope Robbie Elliot new home is a happy one
    Nice to meet you, Henry and great to see the museum too.

Robbie's very happy in my lad's bedroom even if he wasn't a part of the missus' decorating plans.
  • Vincenzo said:

But you can read the excellent "Pre-match Pints" chapter in the equally excellent edition 9 of CAST News (page 18)

https://issuu.com/castrust/docs/tnt9
  • Downloaded last night - looking forward to reading it.
  • seth plum said:

The book is a gem.

*coughs*
    Finished it in 3 sessions - really enjoyed it. Made me realise that I've been to a lot of pubs, but there's a whole lot more still to be explored :smiley:
  • We're going to be doing a brief reading tonight at the Pelton Arms, before the band, if anyone fancies it - or wants to pick up a copy from the horse's mouth, as it were.
  • Saw that advertised on the Pelton Arms site but didn’t realise there was a massive Charlton Life connection!
  • Get the beers in and the Tories out.
    All to win;
    Mine's a Stout. x

May the book do well, @Vincenzo

This will be my new valediction.
  • My brother and his wife got me this book for Christmas. Reckon it could be the first book I've ever read from front to back since Roger Red Hat when I went Thorntree...
  • I got told I'm difficult to buy Christmas presents for. 'No I'm not, I like beer, music, food, loud shirts and guitars. OK the last one's beyond the budget but...'
    'Yes, but we don't know what to choose...'
    'Get me a book then.'
    'But there's so much choice.'
    'OK, well, there's a book out that covers beer AND South London. It may even feature loud shirts, food and music.'

And I have just finished said appropriate Christmas present. Mainly cos I've had flu over Christmas so had a lot of sitting around trying not to cough time.

Very good. I will be recommending it to other lovers of fine things and those members of the Great Unwashed who sometimes come transpontine.

• rananegra said:

I got told I'm difficult to buy Christmas presents for. 'No I'm not, I like beer, music, food, loud shirts and guitars. OK the last one's beyond the budget but...'
    'Yes, but we don't know what to choose...'
    'Get me a book then.'
    'But there's so much choice.'
    'OK, well, there's a book out that covers beer AND South London. It may even feature loud shirts, food and music.'

And I have just finished said appropriate Christmas present. Mainly cos I've had flu over Christmas so had a lot of sitting around trying not to cough time.

Very good. I will be recommending it to other lovers of fine things and those members of the Great Unwashed who sometimes come transpontine.

Did you actually have flu or just a heavy cold?