Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Winter Olympics 2018

123457»

Comments

• Addickted said:

Still not sure how they can enter a Winter Olympic competition when they haven't reached a qualifying standard until less than a week before the competition.

On Jan 14th they weren't in the top 50 global rankings and only completed their 5th qualifying race four weeks after they had to complete seven.

If you include Juniors in the skeleton, the Ghanaian is not even in the top 133.

The article I copied says they had reached qualifying standard : "Although the Nigerians have achieved the qualifying standard". I don't know about how many qualifying races they completed.

Regarding the Ghanaian guy, you say he's not in the top 133, the article I found says he's in the top 60 - I guess they don't count juniors...
  • Started off being one of the miserable bastards at the beginning of the games thinking that it is just 90 different ways of sliding around on ice but I am a convert due mainly to the newer sports, the names of which I don't know but effectively are tricks on skis and snowboards and the races which looks a bit like BMX on skis/snowboards.

Dare I say the curling has me hooked as I am now developing a better understanding of what's going on and I have to say a proper game of skill and tactics and not "frantic housework" as I once described it.

As for Elise Christie well in my opinion she buckled under the pressure, it is true in any sport that once you tense up you cannot perform to 100%. Best she can do is have a break and decide what comes next and stop giving interviews as its getting tedious luv.

Big congratulations to the ladies two man bobsleigh after using crowdfunding to get the Korea that is the Olympic spirit right there.

All in all massively better than I expected
  • Started off being one of the miserable bastards at the beginning of the games thinking that it is just 90 different ways of sliding around on ice. but I am a convert due mainly to the newer sports, the names of which I don't know but effectively are tricks on skis and snowboards and the races which looks a bit like riding a kids bike on skis/snowboards and being a pastime no one over the age of 15 should participate in.

Dare I say the curling has me asleep as I now understand that it's bowls on ice and I have to say a pastime no one under retirement age should take up.

As for Elise Christie well in my opinion she should pack it in and let the funding go to someone with half a chance. Best she can do is stop, as seeing her fall on her arse is getting tedious .

Big whoop to the ladies two man bobsleigh ? after using crowdfunding to get to Korea - that is delusion right there.

All in all exactly what I expected

Fixed it for you ;)
  • I can understand why we are at a disadvantage in terms of snow events, but we should have more ice rinks etc... We have worked out a good formula for the Summer Olympics and need to find some more funds and develop opportunities in the winter olympics. I reckon if you set up a few Curling centres around the country, you will have a great chance of gold medalsas there are not that many - Build a few bobsliegh runs too!
  • I can understand why we are at a disadvantage in terms of snow events, but we should have more ice rinks etc... We have worked out a good formula for the Summer Olympics and need to find some more funds and develop opportunities in the winter olympics. I reckon if you set up a few Curling centres around the country, you will have a great chance of gold medalsas there are not that many - Build a few bobsliegh runs too!

Met a mate for lunch today in Bromley and he said there is a place in Tunbridge Wells where you can play Curling?

Met a mate for lunch today in Bromley and he said there is a place in Tunbridge Wells where you can play Curling?
    There is, we went as a group last year and had a great night, its bloody hard thou!

I think as a Country, we have greater priorities to be honest than just trying to win a couple of Winter Olympic Golds.
  • edited February 2018
    Addickted said:

I can understand why we are at a disadvantage in terms of snow events, but we should have more ice rinks etc... We have worked out a good formula for the Summer Olympics and need to find some more funds and develop opportunities in the winter olympics. I reckon if you set up a few Curling centres around the country, you will have a great chance of gold medalsas there are not that many - Build a few bobsliegh runs too!

I think as a Country, we have greater priorities to be honest than just trying to win a couple of Winter Olympic Golds.
    That is a bit defeatest - Our priorities should always be to be the best at whatever. When you start to accept failure - and we don't in Olympic sport - you get the situation where it is normal for there to be massive pot holes in most roads, rubbish train services, a failing NHS etc... It is all part of the same thing. Look at football - our game is awash with money but countries like Germany take the piss out of us in terms of grass roots coaching. I coach an under 17 side and some of the pitches we play on are a joke for instance.
  • edited February 2018
    How much does 'a few bobsleigh runs' cost to build and maintain to Olympic standards?
  • Sponsored links:

• a few million I'd guess - but you get quite a few events out of that
  • a few million I'd guess - but you get quite a few events out of that

Bobsleigh
    Luge
    Skeleton
    errr.....

So 'a few bobsleigh runs' around the Country so people can actually get to them, for three sports for a couple of hundred interested people.

Righto.

Whilst we're at it, the investment in Polo in this Country is a disgrace.
  • Addickted said:

a few million I'd guess - but you get quite a few events out of that

Bobsleigh
    Luge
    Skeleton
    errr.....

So 'a few bobsleigh runs' around the Country so people can actually get to them, for three sports for a couple of hundred interested people.

Righto.

Whilst we're at it, the investment in Polo in this Country is a disgrace.
    Id be interested.
  • The 2006 Turin track cost £100m to build.

Scrap HS2 or Trident and build 100 tracks around the country.
  • Bronze for Billy Morgan! That ones was worth staying up for.
  • Bronze for Billy Morgan! That ones was worth staying up for.

Excellent... Doesnt that hit the target that had been set for GB at the Winter Olympics?

Thats been managed without any medals for Christie (Which I bet was expected) nor did the men's curling team manage something
  • Oh silly girls!!

Should have accepted the draw and so force an extra end... Instead went for the win and gave Japan the bronze
  • How boring was that? Was like watching Eddie Charlton play Steve Davis.
  • Sponsored links:

• what a fucking waste of time by the IOC . like all governing bodies they are corrupt and crap.

what has Russia proved to confirm their innocence? the Russians who came over to this Olympics shouldn't of been allowed in the first place but they were clean says russia and the IOC. then two of them get done for doping so after that reward Russia by reinstating them. such a joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/winter-olympics/43227420