Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why are you an Addick?

Just a general enquiry as to why people who are Charlton fans are Charlton fans.

I grew up in a Chelsea household, but me being me only supported them for a brief while. I then at about the age of 8 began to support Spurs as my Brother in law, who I loved and looked up to supported them. At the time the terraces,early 80's, were a bit of a violent mess and my Dad refused to take me to any football match. But after years of relentless badgering from me to go to games he finally caved in. My Dads best mates son Neil was a Palace fan and Charlton had literally just begun playing at Selhurst. So every mid week game we would go there regardless of who was playing. Swiftly I became hooked on Charlton and within weeks my bedroom became Red! Bob in goal, Ralph 'set em alight' Milne on the wing and Willow banging them in, never ever looked back! COYR

Comments

• Options
    Geographic proximity
  • Options
    I'm not.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I'm not.

aye, ye are :wink:
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Old man felt sorry for them in the mid 50s (aged 8) as they were bottom of the table - no links to the area whatsoever.

Plus ca change.....
  • Options
    Next door neighbour took me to a game in 1968.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For me, it was/still is less than a 15 minute walk away, while most of my mates at the time(1979-80 season) supported Spurs or QPR, I couldn't be arsed with the travelling by bus or tube so stuck with little old Charlton.
  • Options
    Born in the hospital for mothers and babies, lived in Lansdown lane, went to Invicta then Sherington. Dad first took me when I was 6.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited February 2018
    Dad and his side of the family all gooners, he was born just off the Holloway Road.
    However, spent most of his life in south east London, grew up in Gerda Lane in new Eltham, although a gooner he used to hop on the bus to go and watch Charlton in the mid to late 50’s, met my mum when they both worked at queen Mary’s hospital (divorced when I was 12) grandparents eventually moved back to burnt oak/Colindale area of north London.
    I was born & bred in SEL, the old hospital near Barnehurst station to be exact (then considered SEL) and as a kid was a gooner through dad etc, only ever went to 1 game to watch Charlie George in the mid 70’s
    Pre season 1980, lived in flats near Woolwich college, went with some mates to the friendly v West Ham just after they had won the fa cup, I never looked back.
    We lived in Wolfe crescent from around 1981, he left for deepest Kent a few years back, we could hear the crowd in the back garden.
    My dad now retired down in Herne Bay, still goes to a lot of Charlton games when he can, but a gooner still at heart.

Mums side, grandad never followed Football that I know of, my traveller/gypsy Nan (think Catherine tates Nan) was allegedly a Chelsea fan, uncles, 1 Charlton, 1 millwall, 1 Man Utd (he actually lives in one of the houses in valley grove and drinks in the lib, some of you may know him)
    My other uncle who passed away nearly 10 years ago was Man Utd, he was a hell of a goalkeeper as a youth, was watched a few times by Charlton and millwall allegedly but booze and a life of crime got the better of him in the end.
  • Options
    I thought it was Bobby Charlton, imagine my surprise etc etc....
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    My dad, however he wasn’t an Addick, he was one of the builders who worked on the tower block (Sam Bartarm House). He brought me with him one Saturday to work and that was that.
  • Options
    lots of reasons but probably the main one, I lived and grew up in Chislehurst and the 161 bus stopped at the bottom of my road.
    I have cold sweats thinking about what if I got a 227.
    But probably the best reason, I born in Plumstead. So it was the right thing to do.

• Options
    Dad (RIP) supported Charlton and started taking me when I was 4-5 years old (1970-71). Started taking my mates around 73-74 who then went onto support Charlton as well.
  • Options
    Dad always said when he became aware of football Charlton had just won the Cup. His local team- he lived in Blackfen- a friend's Dad took him to the Valley in 1951 and he was hooked. First took me aged 5 and my early memories are of Dunn, Warman, Curtis, Hunt, King Arthur, Powell, Peacock, and Killer. I went to Selhurst after leaving the Valley and Upton Park and was at The Valley clear up and the first game back. Somehow missed the Prem years as moved out of London in 1997 with a young family. Still in the Midlands .
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Father took me to my first game in 1995. 3-2 at home to Brentford, think David Whyte scored. Hooked ever since, then became an addict.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep as others have said it just goes down the generations.
  • Options
    Family affliction - grandad / dad / me/ brother etc all grew up in eltham, my dad used to take us and a few mates down there early 80's and we'd just play run outs and stuff there was so much space - hardly noticed the game going on - started taking more interest in the football by mid 80's and the 85/86 promotion hooked me in. Had the affliction ever since and now my kids and there mates have got it.
  • Options
    Because Addicks is our first and only real nickname.

Robins and Valiants don't do it.
  • Options
    My Dad started taking me in 82. However my Grandad used to take me to West Ham as well.....

Whoever I chose, I was always going to be in for a life time of misery. I picked Charlton because it was closer to home and I much preferred The Valley.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Grew up on Springfield Grove estate and used to hear the roars and groans on matchdays coming from over the back of The Heights. Then we decided to go and have a look one day and stumbled across The Valley.

We bunked in over the bogs at the top of the East Terrace(Kentish laundry)and have never looked back since. If only I had known ;)

I can still remember in the mid sixties bunking in and then bunking out over the gates in Floyd rd. Next stop was the paper shop in Charlton lane who would sell us a packet of 5 woodbines, then up the park to cough our little hearts up.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    se9addick said:

Geographic proximity

Same here - my Dad loves football and Welling and Charlton were the closest clubs growing up so he took me along most weeks.

• Options
    Both my grandfathers were and my dad was. I was hooked before my first game in 1964.

Unfortunately it ends here as my daughter, despite my best efforts, doesn't like football.
  • Options
    Same for me, my dad.

He asked me to forgive him on his death bed, I refused, saying your action has condemned me to a life of misery and endless suffering and on top of that you took me to Charlton, b’stard.

I seem to recall the first game he took me to was, Charlton v Blackburn where we needed to draw to go up and of course we lost, typical Charlton and it’s been downhill skiing ever since, only without the skis.