Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brendan O'Connell

News from the frozen Prairies.

I chatted very briefly with Brendan last night, he was running a coaching session and my boys game hadn't started.

He's head coach for the University of Calgary women's team and also for a local junior club.

He said he enjoyed his time at the Valley (even though it was fairly brief) and that he really rated Curbs and hoped we'd get back to the top flight soon.

Apparently Mike Salmon lives in Canada too - in Vancouver, he sees him from time to time.

I remember him being a tidy midfielder, nothing flashy - anyone remember why he left?

COYR

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I think he wasn't good enough.
  • Options
    He'd been a stalwart at Barnsley for a number of years, with a reputation for scoring some spectacular goals from outside the box.

I seem to remember him as a bit one paced, but very solid and did the simple things well.

Went to Wigan after he left us - maybe he had a homesick Northerner wife?

• Options
    My Barnsley mate used to call him Headless O'Chicken
  • Options
    I always thought he did well for us and was gutted when he left, good luck fella
  • Options
    I read the title wrong and thought it said Brendan O'Carroll

Then saw it say his time at Charlton and got really fucking confused.

Time for bed
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Another midfielder who was supposed to be playing "in the hole" behind Leaburn (Now termed a no 10) but when interviewed said " its not my job to score goals" wound my parents up no end.........they still mutter it now.

How is Alberta btw ?? flew into Calgary back in 1996 when I skied in Banff. Lovely place & never forget seeing bears roaming around the streets at night...........big f**kers !! I believe that Gavin Peacock is a minister nearby.
  • Options
    Decent player, not quite the right fit at Charlton. The season after he was here was good though
  • Options
    Remember a talented clever player but in terms of getting about the pitch and getting stuck in, he made Ajose look like Scott Parker. He was fortunate to play alongside Kins and the Crab who covered for him in terms of defensive duties.
  • Options

I chatted very briefly with Brendan last night, he was running a coaching session and my boys game hadn't started.

He's head coach for the University of Calgary women's team and also for a local junior club.

He said he enjoyed his time at the Valley (even though it was fairly brief) and that he really rated Curbs and hoped we'd get back to the top flight soon.

Apparently Mike Salmon lives in Canada too - in Vancouver, he sees him from time to time.

I remember him being a tidy midfielder, nothing flashy - anyone remember why he left?

COYR

Yea, Mike Salmon is over here in Vancovuer, he coaches too, I work with him occasionally, really nice guy

• Options

Remember a talented clever player but in terms of getting about the pitch and getting stuck in, he made Ajose look like Scott Parker. He was fortunate to play alongside Kins and the Crab who covered for him in terms of defensive duties.

Facial reconstruction was in it's prime back then I see ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ross_cafc said:

COYR

Yea, Mike Salmon is over here in Vancovuer, he coaches too, I work with him occasionally, really nice guy

Remind him about giving the Covered End the "V".
  • Options
    Think we signed him just after Lee Bowyer left who was very good and a fans favourite, so it was always going to be hard to replace him.
  • Options

I think he wasn't good enough.

Did he not score a goal helping us beat the palice filth at The Valley?
  • Options
    If we had the Statbank in those days he’d be scoring a consistent 6 out of 10
  • Options
    I remember him as being a bit shit but shouting and bollocking everyone a lot

And giving David Hopkin a slap when we beat Palace 2-1 at home that year and Peterson made the best save I've ever seen in the flesh. So Brendan Is ok by me
  • Options
    He was one of those players that didn't do anything outstanding but never did anything horrendous.

• Options
    Very ordinary (slightly crap) player. Tried hard but was never going to be part of a successful Charlton team.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I know the name, vaguely, cant remember much about him except did he have a receeding hairline? Oh and was funnier than Brendan O'Carroll.
  • Options
    He posts on here doesnt he?
  • Options
    In the few games I saw him play, I thought he was half decent..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A very solid midfield player who worked hard and didn't give the ball away that often, good team player who was well rated by one of our best managers Alan Curbishley.
    All the best Brendan!
  • Options
    Quickly made captain then quickly left. That's about all I remember.
  • Options
    Remember him scoring after about 15 seconds of the 2nd half the winning goal at home to Brum.
  • Options
    Was he the Irish fella?
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Was he the Irish fella?

That was Eamon Rogers, with flowing hair and beard.
    Eire international.

Long before O'Connell though.

• Options
    Am the only one who remembers him elbowing Batty in the cup?
  • Options
    cfgs said:

Am the only one who remembers him elbowing Batty in the cup?

Is that the area between the legs?