Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Money 'Destroying' Football Shock!

edited February 2018 in General Charlton
Competition in Europe's biggest leagues is being "destroyed" by clubs who have "huge financial power", says Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Frenchman Wenger pointed to examples in France, Germany, England and Spain.

Paris St-Germain are 11 points clear in Ligue 1, Bayern Munich have a 16-point advantage in the Bundesliga and Manchester City are 15 points ahead at the top of the Premier League.

Wenger said it was clear that "unpredictability has gone down".

He added: "When you look at the five big leagues in Europe, in December we already knew four champions.

"That means something is not right in our game. The huge financial power of some clubs is basically destroying the competition."

"Manchester City were accused of 'financial doping' by La Liga president Javier Tebas, who also said PSG were "laughing at the system" with their summer buys."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42916936

Go Arsene!

Comments

• Options
    Because I don't know how to do gifs, please pause for a moment to picture a person slowly shaking their head and looking bewildered, in a wtf/words fail me type way.
  • Options
    Arsene may be right, but it's hard to see Arsenal as victims of this
  • Options

Arsene may be right, but it's hard to see Arsenal as victims of this

Arsene is definitely right but seriously... Arsenal must be the biggest hard done by club in the Universe!!
  • Options
    It’s the biggest disgrace since Dial Square bought themselves back into the top flight.

Piss off Arsene!
  • Options
    Tell this to Leicester fans. Their owner maybe very wealthy, but they certainly did not buy the title.
  • Options
    They did buy their way into the Premier league though
  • Options
    The top teams are definitely pulling further away from the rest.
    But all the while teams like
    Burnley
    Huddersfield
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Watford
    Swansea
    Can continue to play in the premier league we have to keep believing.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    I agree with him but its funny how he didn't say anything while they were qualifying for the Champions League for the 19 consecutive seasons or whatever it was.

They did buy their way into the Premier league though

and yes they did in 1919, so it wasn't the PL ;) (technically, for some, football didn't exist before the PL, granted!)

EDIT - ah, just read your previous post to this one...makes sense now!
  • Options
    a lot of pals who support prem clubs call me a "small club" fan whatever that means, living where i live ( bexley ) there's a vast amount of clubs to support but i support my closest professional football team, as charlton fans were a dying breed, all well and good being in the prem but i wouldnt enjoy going up and getting dicked every week for a season, the championship will go the same way soon - wolves being the latest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

a lot of pals who support prem clubs call me a "small club" fan whatever that means, living where i live ( bexley ) there's a vast amount of clubs to support but i support my closest professional football team, as charlton fans were a dying breed, all well and good being in the prem but i wouldnt enjoy going up and getting dicked every week for a season, the championship will go the same way soon - wolves being the latest.

The worst tag I've heard coming up more these days are that we're seen as "pub teams" and that you dont have to go down to the depths of Non-League to find them anymore... Piss off you glory hunting pricks!!
  • Options

The worst tag I've heard coming up more these days are that we're seen as "pub teams" and that you dont have to go down to the depths of Non-League to find them anymore... Piss off you glory hunting pricks!!
    that sy claude from arsenal fan tv is the worst for that calls everton a pub team - LOL this is after they may aswell rename the fa cup the arsenal cup. tossers that club in particular.
  • Options
    Says Arsene Weber who just signed a player for £60m after he refused to play for his club.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Burnley
    Huddersfield
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Watford
    Swansea

If your dream is being in the Premier League, then yes.
    But I think what's getting boring is the monotony of the Top Six. The rest are just scrabbling around every year spending their TV money on not getting relegated.
    Leicester was a blip.
    Could there be a cap on how much each club can spend on players in a year? Or would that lead to a talent exodus if other European leagues didn't follow suit? Tricky one.

2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
    City Utd City Chel Leic Chel
    Utd City Liv City Arse Tott
    Arse Chel Chel Arse Tott City
    Tott Arse Arse Utd City Liv
    Newc Tot t Eve Tott Utd Arse

• Options
    Serie A is the league to watch this season.

It hasn’t been destroyed yet. The gap with juve is closing and the top 6 or so teams are all exciting to watch. The fans are still real fans and they’re slowly returning to away games now they may get rid of the ID issue where fans stopped going to away games.
  • Options
    Had Wenger said "huge financial power" and "great coaches" are ruining football I would have a little more sympathy. Because, unlike Pochettino and Guardiola, I struggle to recall too many players who have actually improved under him - let alone English ones to do so.

There again, if you are only looking abroad you aren't going to be able to do so are you?
  • Options

Burnley
    Huddersfield
    Bournemouth
    Brighton
    Watford
    Swansea

The bottom 1/2 is certainly more interesting then the top 1/2 this season.
  • Options
    'Money may be the root of all evil. But you can't run a football team without it.'
    -Jimmy Seed (1957)

And how did he describe the early Charlton Athletic, when the club was short of cash?
    'Charlton on Queer Street'.

Not sure the young people would get that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not the sharpest tool in la boîte is he?
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Not the sharpest tool in la boîte is he?

Il est probablement, en fait
  • Options
    Tedious, "poor me", risible guff from the gallic under achiever. FFS there's more than enough money behind the gooners to compete with the top few. Like Fergie at the mancs, and Clough at forest Wenger's stayed too long. He's always been a miserable frump with conveniently poor eyesight but his stock is withering fast. A chairman with cahones woulda moved him 'upstairs' years ago. The first coupla managers after him maybe wouldn't have won much but with their financial clout they'd have been no worse off by now.
    Au revoir Arsene, l'homme d'hier.
  • Options

Tedious, "poor me", risible guff from the gallic under achiever. FFS there's more than enough money behind the gooners to compete with the top few. Like Fergie at the mancs, and Clough at forest Wenger's stayed too long. He's always been a miserable frump with conveniently poor eyesight but his stock is withering fast. A chairman with cahones woulda moved him 'upstairs' years ago. The first coupla managers after him maybe wouldn't have won much but with their financial clout they'd have been no worse off by now.
    Au revoir Arsene, l'homme d'hier.

Yes, but isn't he yesterday's man?
  • Options
    And in other news, water is wet, the Pope is a Catholic, and bears still don't have an indoor privvy.

Arsehole Whinger has had plenty of cash to spend at Arsenal over the years, he's just wasted it. How many times over the years have they had risible performances like this week's defeat at relegation-haunted Swansea? They have too many of those each season against the "lesser" teams and that isn't down to a lack of money, that's a lack of spirit and character in the side, a side he's responsible for.

Under his watch the Gooners have gone from Premier League champions to genuine title contenders to Champions' (sic) League qualifiers in 3rd/4th place to battling for a consolation of a UEFA Cup/Europa League place, picking up a token FA Cup along the way.

I rarely watch Premier League football these days (I make an effort to watch Palarse's drubbings though!) and I don't pay too much attention to the Championship either, other than to keep tabs on what Norwich are doing.

I'm just glad I've only got a couple of weeks to wait until the AFL (Aussie Rules) starts its pre-season and then from mid-March I can watch some proper sport in a relatively even competition with proper athletes who aren't overpaid prima donnas.
  • Options
    Usual sour grapes from Wenger.
    Maybe Guardiola is a much better manager which Wenger should acknowledge.
    Totally agree with Daddy_Pig. Arsene is as much to blame for any excess money and
    funding concerns of Premier League clubs.
  • Options
    Now, when Red Bull take us over.....
  • Options
    Money has definitely caused lunacy within the game in general. Read today that Jack Rodwell is on £70,000 a week at Sunderland. If players of his standard are getting sums like that something has gone very, very wrong.
  • Options
    E-cafc said:

Money has definitely caused lunacy within the game in general. Read today that Jack Rodwell is on £70,000 a week at Sunderland. If players of his standard are getting sums like that something has gone very, very wrong.

Incredible.
  • Options
    Arsene Wenger just didn't SEE that money was the root of all evil in the premier ! Put your glasses back on if your lenses are letting you down. 27 years of elitism have created a schism of 3 division in the premier. Arsenal are bottom of the top 6.