Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Oxford | Sat 03 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Oxford United
Saturday 3rd February 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud

Introduction

Last Saturday the Addicks made the trip up to Blackpool, only for a waterlogged pitch to cancel proceedings. Its means that Charlton have had to endure a frustrating two week period since their last match, and so, potentially interrupt the good form that we’ve been on of late – This Saturday, football will return to the Valley with managerless Oxford United the visitors…

The Opposition
Name: Oxford United | Caretaker Manager: Derek Fazackerley
Reverse Fixture: Oxford 1-1 Charlton

Just like Walsall two weeks ago, if there is a reverse fixture which can sum up our season then the trip to Oxford would be right up there – Countless times this season, the Addicks have played a style of football that should be sweeping teams aside, yet our inability to take chances has cost us dearly… Dominating the first 30mins in Oxfordshire, the Addicks took a deserved 1-0 lead yet couldn’t capitalise – Christian Ribeiro scoring from the edge of the box shortly before half-time ensure that the points were shared.

Despite our dominance, Oxford potentially deserved a point on their second half performance and with the U’s in mid-table it’s probably a fair reflection for our opponents – Yet for the Oxford board that wasn’t good enough and on 22 January; Pep Clotet was sacked as Manager.

As you can see the position of Manager still hasn’t been filled, and with Derek Fazackerley taking charge its probably a case of “who” around many Football League grounds… At 66-years of age he’s been around, and holds the league appearance record for Blackburn Rovers having appeared as a centre-back just under 600 times… Having coached at a number of clubs, this is his first step into any form of Management. With no games since the sacking of Clotet, Saturday will be the first opportunity to see what kind of man he is…

Charlton Team News
The postponement of our match in Blackpool may disrupt our good form yet if anything its given Karl Robinson an extra week to get players back to full fitness… November and December saw results plummet at one player after another joined the injury table, and with key players now returning, results are unexpectedly improving.

On Wednesday at 11pm the Transfer Window slammed shut, and the fact that Ezri Konsa remained a Charlton player was good news all around – With Jason Pearce still not ready to return, you’d expect Patrick Bauer to line up alongside the England U20 International… Of course, nobody expected any incomings on Wednesday yet with Sullay Kaikai and Michal Zyro joining in the last two weeks, both should be given the opportunity (from the bench at least) to show what they can do.

Most surprising of all was the fact that Nicky Ajose has remained with the club following his return from Bury… the Striker has endured a difficult time in South East London yet appears to have a second chance to show what he can do.

Amos
Solly | Konsa | Bauer | Dasilva
Fosu | Kashi | Aribo | Kaikai
Mavididi | Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Lennon | Forster-Caskey | Reeves | Zyro | Marshall

Prediction
With Oxford playing their first game under Fazackerley it could be a banana skin of a fixture – Charlton though with even more pace and (finally) depth should keep all three points… Its getting tight around the Play-Offs with a number of sides now getting involved, who will keep their nerve… Whose will fail them?

Over to you!!

Comments

• Options
    The Red Bull Chargers 1 Oxford 1
  • Options
    Just want to point out that I'd be shocked if Robinson does play 4-4-2... I'd even be surprised if Kaikai plays ahead of Marshall (went with that seeing that the latter has probably missed a bit of training for a few days as by the sound of the Press Conference, he may be returned to Jamaica)

For once I've just gone with the squad I'd like to see start, rather than the team that I think will start

Also cant wait to see when Ajose might get on the bench... He'll struggle to get through that lot
  • Options
    tried and tested formation.

4-0 trouncing (BFG, Mag, Fosu x2)......the run in starts here...
  • Options
    Gosh, that team looks decent, and that's without Zyro and Marshall...Will Magennis be given a rest for our on-loan striker? Do we have enough of a defence to play with Fosu, Aribo,Kaikai, Mavididi, and a striker? Tough decisions...

If we get it right, and big Derek does not see the caretaker manager bounce, we could smash them?

3-0 to the Addicks
  • Options
    3-1.
  • Options
    Good options and i reckon we will win this comfortably 3-0.

I'd like to see:
    Amos

Bauer Pearce
    Solly J Silva

Kashi

JFC

Fosu Zyro Mav

Mag

Actually quite hard to pick a front 4, i think Mag should probably start but then see if replacements can get him out of the side.
  • Options
    Still shouldn't take Oxford lightly... I think they were made to sack Clotet, they've not won away since the middle of November (when they beat Plymouth who were struggling at the time) yet they've good players themselves.
  • Options
    0-0, Aribo sent off
  • Options

tried and tested formation.

4-0 trouncing (BFG, Mag, Fosu x2)......the run in starts here...

Something like that.
    I've a feeling we'll come out all guns blazing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As put on the other thread yesterday. - going to be harsh on a few players now but it means we have competition of who is starting which is great. Very excited for this weekend.

Amos
    Solly Konsa Bauer Dasilva
    Kashi Forster-Caskey
    Marshall Mavididi Fosu
    Magennis

Phillips, Lennon, Jackson, Aribo, Reeves, Kaikai, Zyro

Charlton Athletic 3-0 Oxford United
    Magennis
    Fosu
    Kaikai
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    We seem to have a decent bench all of a sudden - no chance of Bowyer needing a call-up. Must be a good sign
  • Options
    Amos
    Kashi Forster-Caskey
    Kaikai Mavididi Fosu
    Magennis

Phillips, Lennon, Jackson, Aribo, Reeves, Marshall, Zyro

Zyro for one off the bench for Mag and impress

4-0 Charlton.

Magennis, Fosu, Aribo, Zyro
  • Options
    Can't even pick our midfield and front four now, what a lovely problem to have, 3-0.
  • Options
    Might as well go for it; if the new guys are fit I'd go with the following, even though Magennis had a decent game against Wallsall:

Amos
    Kashi Aribo
    Marshall Mavididi Fosu
    Zyro

If Zyro not fit would play Mavididi up top with Kaikai replacing him

Subs: Phillips, Lennon, Jackson, Forster-Caskey, Reeves, Kaikai, Magennis

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Oxford United
    Zyro
    Fosu
    Kaikai

Not sure how Zyro and Kaikai are going to work when we're defending, so I'm granting a goal to Oxford.

Really looking forward to the match.
  • Options
    Can't believe anyone is leaving Aribo out
  • Options
    Remember Robinson loves Reeves, even if we do not
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Can't believe anyone is leaving Aribo out

I haven't...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Entertaining home win, 3-1.
  • Options

Comfortable home win 4-0.

Reckon you’re in with a shout this Saturday happy!
  • Options
    2-0 charlton actually think we look decent for the first time in a long while. i reckon if you was to back us every game for the rest of the season you would be in profit at the end of it. to get playoffs we can afford to drop 26 points - hopefully doesnt happen but take each game as it comes.
  • Options

For the first time in a very long time, i'm actually excited about going tomorrow

Yeah your not the only one... Means its gonna be a dog awful game with Obika scoring the 1-0 winner on 53mins
  • Options

For the first time in a very long time, i'm actually excited about going tomorrow

Yeah your not the only one... Means its gonna be a dog awful game with Obika scoring the 1-0 winner on 53mins
    a complete carbon copy of the Pompey game I reckon
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of 4-0 predictions on here this week.
  • Options
    Bizarre that Fazackerley finally takes charge of a team for the first time at the age of 66!

I would expect us to win, though not comfortably. 2-1 or perhaps 3-1 like the Walsall game, with a late goal settling the nerves. No excuse for the players not being fresh, or will the 2 week break mean they've now become rusty and lacking match fitness?
  • Options
    It should be an attractive game as Oxford have played attacking football this season, but like Charlton have a porous defence. I predict 3-1, so probably 0-0.
  • Options
    3 -1 to the Mighty Addicks !!!! - Suddenly it's all become vey positive on here.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!