Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MOT change

Seen an article about the MOT test changing on the 20 May . It states from that date any diesel with a diesel particulate filter will fail the test if any visible smoke of any colour is seen.

Does anyone in the industry or with knowledge have any thoughts or comments on this please. A motoring organisation has stated the changes will mean the test is no longer black and white regarding pass / fail but will now be open to personal interpretation. Also, if a vehicle fails as smoke has been seen, how can you remedy the matter to then get a pass on retest ?

Comments

• Seen an article about the MOT test changing on the 20 May . It states from that date any diesel with a diesel particulate filter will fail the test if any visible smoke of any colour is seen.

Does anyone in the industry or with knowledge have any thoughts or comments on this please. A motoring organisation has stated the changes will mean the test is no longer black and white regarding pass / fail but will now be open to personal interpretation. Also, if a vehicle fails as smoke has been seen, how can you remedy the matter to then get a pass on retest ?

Presumably guarantees garages endless supply of work.
  • Seen an article about the MOT test changing on the 20 May . It states from that date any diesel with a diesel particulate filter will fail the test if any visible smoke of any colour is seen.

Clean or replace the DPF, or drive it down the motorway for abit and get the engine temperature up and it will hopefully clear the DPF itself.

• The reason for this post was that these changes appear, to my uneducated on the subject, eye to be game changers and the start of the enforced phasing out of diesel cars.

New levels of failure are being introduced which means that a vehicle cannot be driven after a failure, and old diesels without a dpf are not affected despite the fact that by definition they are much more polluting and likely to produce smoke - assume the thinking is over time they will be scrapped and taken off the road in time anyway. Plus they were bought at a time when the then government championed diesel as the way forward. I understand CO2 emmissions have risen in the last year as more petrol vehicles come onto the roads.
  • edited February 2018
    I've got a 2005 diesel x type on 160,000 miles that smokes like a bastard under hard acceleration (they all do that) but is otherwise fine. It has no DPF so I'm just being incentivised to keep my filthy old car even longer than I would anyway, given I need a diesel's economy with my highish mileage.
    I suppose the govt, if they've even thought it through that far, assume that non DPF diesels will be few in number in the next few years so rust or wear will kill them off anyway.
  • Mystified by this to be honest.....are the government saying that trucks and commercial vehicles will be replaced with Petrol engines? Cant see any petrol based engine having the torque required let alone fuel economy for Commercials.
  • Some of these changes make no sense.

I have a diesel Audi, which will be fine passing but I also have 2 classic cars which will be exempt from the MOT.

I'll make sure both still pass and I'm very particular about making sure they are safe and reliable, but how many people wont...
  • My car magazine is being very careful with its wording, but is basically saying - this is a complete uninformed, disorganized farce. They have made no mention of hgv, and state that new diesel cars with dpf are the least polluting vehicles on the road, and the whole thing smacks of politicians trying to score points about how green they are without introducing changes that will actually make a difference. They state in the last year roadside co2 emmissions have actually risen for the first time in years because of diesel being demonised.

The magazine also raises the issue of where are the required electric charging points - which are going to be required in large numbers if the drive towards electric continues - going to go? There is no space in London which doesn't even have enough parking so where are the charging points going to be - same on trunk roads as range concerns are the biggest barrier to electric.

The whole thing is modern political I'll informed, headline grabbing, not joined up thinking which ignores certain crucial issues.

I was thinking about buying a new diesel for my next car hence this post, but if it will never get an MOT obviously this changes things, hence why I would be grateful for anyone with knowledge of the field to give their opinion.
  • I thought all diesels had visible spoke on cold mornings for the first 5 minutes or so. Our 2009 c-class does anyway and it was only serviced by Mercedes about 6 month ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Some of these changes make no sense.

I have a diesel Audi, which will be fine passing but I also have 2 classic cars which will be exempt from the MOT.

I'll make sure both still pass and I'm very particular about making sure they are safe and reliable, but how many people wont...

Mine’s exempt from this year too but will continue to submit it for one every year.

We’ve just traded our diesel Qashqai in for a new petrol one so thankfully don’t have to worry about the new changes.
  • I think the simple answer is to not buy a diesel car. I have a 2008 diesel (due to govt advice at the time).
    If I bought now I'd go petrol, until electric charging points are satisfactorily resolved.
  • The problem with dpf fitted cars is that they should in theory be quite clean, but if people only drive in towns the filter clogs up and becomes useless, so the real world pollution may be far worse than the official figures.

If you drive down Motorways all the time, diesels are fine, for chugging around London they're not good news.