Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cold vs Flu, aka Facts vs myth

There's a flu epidemic here as in the UK. But I reckon a lot of us tend to declare that we have flu when it's a heavy cold. Would love to hear from the more medically qualified.
Seems to me that when you really have the flu, you bloody know it. Last time I can be sure I had it was in around 1984. I felt so bad, i could hardly get out of bed to have a piss. Last week on R4 I heard a doctor suggest a simple test. get someone to leave a tenner on the floor in your gaff. If, when you find it, you pick it up, you've got a cold . If you feel so bad, you really cannot be bothered, that's the flu.
Have you noticed how footballers always have the flu, never a cold? I reckon that's because it doesn't sound good : "Naby Sarr misses out because he's got a cold", people would be giving him pelters, even though most of us wouldn't want to play with a cold.
Then there is the question of the flu "vaccine". here it is virtually forced on you. It's free in my health package. But I heard that it doesn't prevent you getting it at all. It simply reduces your symptoms by about 24 hours in total. (which might admittedly be crucial for an older person in poor general health). Is that true? Bit of a pharma racket, if so, no?
I'm going to pay a heavy price for this, I know. I have to jump on the plane to London on Friday, and a plane is a great place in which to pick up any virus going. But would be interested to learn more, especially from the medically qualified. @ShootersHillGuru , @Cardinal Sin

Comments

• Options
    We had this thread last month.

Some people can be carrying the flu virus and only show mild or even zero symptoms. But they can still infect other people. Which is why GPs ask people who think they have the flu to stay away from the surgery unless it is a medical emergency.
  • Options
    Flu is an enigma, everyone claims to have it but very rarely they do.

I get a flu jab and actually got a strong cold recently, wasn't bed ridden although i was in bed alot with it. Surely these should be prevented by the flu jab?

Hopefully you dont end up catching anything on the way over would be ironic after this post :)
  • Options
    i hate it when people have started taking time off sick with the flu and you always get one wankspat that starts putting the ground work in a couple of days early before calling in sick for two/three days with "the flu", usually around payday.
  • Options
    worked at my place 11 years only had 1 day off "sick" with the flu as i physically couldnt get out of bed or move.

other than that an early night with a whiskey/honey/lemsip all mixed into one kicks the shit out of most colds.
  • Options
    Never had flu, always work through colds (including still exercising).

Only time I don't work or exercise is if I have any dreaded gastroenteritis type bugs. It's not worth spray painting my office with vomit and the shits, spreading the bugs because I'm too stubborn to allow myself to have a day off when it's really clearly best for both me and my colleagues.

They can have a cold though... They're just a minor inconvenience.

In fact that's one of the things that really pisses me off, when people work and they're clearly very sick with something thats making them vom, or shit up the toilet doors etc...

Don't bring that into the office you selfish scrote.
  • Options
    Unless I am mistaken the "flu jab" only guards against certain strains of flu not all flu. The problem is there are loads of strains of flu and it is impossible/uneconomic to immunise against all strains. The NHS have to predict which strains are likely to be prevalent in any particularly winter ahead of the winter (it takes time to produce).
    I heard, and have no idea if it's true, that the flu jab only reduces the chances of getting flu by about 60%, but hopefully immunises against the worst strains.
  • Options
    The criteria for ‘severely’ ill is that you are so poorly that you are unable to do, or think about, anything else. If you feel unwell but you can still watch tv, read a book, make yourself a cup of tea etc, then you may well feel very poorly, but you are not severely ill.
    That’s how the definition has been explained to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Flu is an enigma, everyone claims to have it but very rarely they do.

I get a flu jab and actually got a strong cold recently, wasn't bed ridden although i was in bed alot with it. Surely these should be prevented by the flu jab?

Hopefully you dont end up catching anything on the way over would be ironic after this post :)

The trouble with a flu jab is it targets 1 specific strain of flu.... and they have to guess 6 months early, which jab they make. Long story short its just a cash grab that 1000s fall for every year.... especially as 99% of 'flu' cases are just colds.
    Ive had flu once... and I was tripping balls like id be taking acid

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/05/flu-jab-targeting-wrong-strain-health-officials-reveal-7205455/
  • Options
    I could've swore that colds (or the risk of catching them) reduce with age. Yet I seem to get them quite often

I've never had flu. Had some very heavy colds, but not flu
  • Options
    I say I have flu because I know it annoys pedantic people. Everyone knows you mean flu like symptoms just let it go without being all smart arse and trying to act like some sort of doctor unless you are one of course.
  • Options
    I tend to get "in between" viruses. Not full blown flu, but if you get a temperature, to me that's more than just a cold?
  • Options
    As some of you know I've been working in China recently, in fact I've just got back. I had the flu jab before I left, I have to have it because of my recent Heart problem. Whilst in Hangzhou I became unwell, very unwell, I caught Asian Flu. I've never felt so poorly and never want to again!! On the flight back I worsened and when I landed at Dubai, 'Emirates' airlines sent two Doctors to see me at the airport to see if I could continue back to UK. Fortunately they said yes after conducting some tests. I'm still recovering now and not been out of bed since last Friday evening. I'm hoping to get back to work next Monday, I now know what the difference is between a 'cold' and the 'flu'. I wouldn't wish the latter on my worst enemy. Its the most debilitating virus I've ever had.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I could've swore that colds (or the risk of catching them) reduce with age. Yet I seem to get them quite often

Yes. My understanding, but again would love to hear from the more qualified if this is true, is that there around 200 cold viruses, and when you get one you become immune to that. So that would reduce your risk as you get older. I think it is true, I recently went two years without any cold. Both my wife and I had one just before Christmas that was a right bastard, but pretty sure it was not flu, even though an epidemic had been declared. We were able to move around, argue on CL, etc.

• Options

cabbles said:

Yes. My understanding, but again would love to hear from the more qualified if this is true, is that there around 200 cold viruses, and when you get one you become immune to that. So that would reduce your risk as you get older. I think it is true, I recently went two years without any cold. Both my wife and I had one just before Christmas that was a right bastard, but pretty sure it was not flu, even though an epidemic had been declared. We were able to move around, argue on CL, etc.

I think it’s more than 200 but the rest of what you say is quite right.

• Options
    colthe3rd said:

Tbf a heavy cold can be very bad, problem comes when people look down on others when they say they have a cold and are really sick. For example if you did have a bad cold and genuinely needed a few days off work (I'm not talking about just a bit of sniffles) I guarantee there'd be a number of colleagues who'd look down on you. Hence why a lot of people say they have flu.

Us Brits have a slightly odd mentality in that you get some who boast about "I've never taken a sick day in x years". Well done. Some people get sick some don't. One person might suffer worse from the same illness than another. What I can't stand is sick people coming in to work spreading their diseases making the whole place sick, my own back of the fag packet analysis says that costs businesses far more than people taking sick days when they actually need them.

Totally agree! I get tonsillitis so bad that it makes me bed bound and I hate taking sick days. Yet people who get it and just get a sore throat just mock
  • Options

As some of you know I've been working in China recently, in fact I've just got back. I had the flu jab before I left, I have to have it because of my recent Heart problem. Whilst in Hangzhou I became unwell, very unwell, I caught Asian Flu. I've never felt so poorly and never want to again!! On the flight back I worsened and when I landed at Dubai, 'Emirates' airlines sent two Doctors to see me at the airport to see if I could continue back to UK. Fortunately they said yes after conducting some tests. I'm still recovering now and not been out of bed since last Friday evening. I'm hoping to get back to work next Monday, I now know what the difference is between a 'cold' and the 'flu'. I wouldn't wish the latter on my worst enemy. Its the most debilitating virus I've ever had.

A long flight with that must be a special kind of hell. Get well soon, bud.

Thanks @PragueAddick , its been hell and now on top of that, I have severe Gout in both feet caused by the medication I'm on. So much pain and completely bedridden.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @SoundAsa£ got pelters a couple of months ago for daring to suggest the same thing.

• Options

I tend to get "in between" viruses. Not full blown flu, but if you get a temperature, to me that's more than just a cold?</

As an asthmatic severe colds or chest infections can be as debilitating as flu.

• Options
    Doesn't matter what label you put on it. The rules are the same:Don't be a selfish arsehole, stay out of everyone else's way. You are not a hero for struggling into work, you're a germ laden (@n\
  • Options
    I had cold/Lassa fever over Christmas, first week back to work the old fellow in my workplace had the first 2 days off sick. He comes in Wednesday coughing and spluttering and honking up stuff telling us how ill he’s been. He didn’t do a stroke of work except from making his self tea every 5 minutes and watching nonsense on his PC. He then takes the rest of the week off sick. But the bit that really pissed me off, Friday afternoon I realised if he had taken all the week off I wouldn’t have caught his cold.
  • Options
    Cold/Flu viruses constantly mutate so immunity is very unlikely
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Few years back I seemed to be getting a few colds a year, started taking vitamin D tablets and since then I've had very few. Might be worth trying it out if you don't already.
  • Options
    I seem to suffer far less than most - vitamin C and zinc tablet three or four times a week might help.
  • Options
    Healthy diet, exercise and vitamin C (natural not tablets)...sorted.
  • Options
    I'm sure I read somewhere that vitamin C has very minimal effects on reducing colds.
  • Options
    I caught the real version of flu on a flight back from England in 2013, I had a guy literally hacking his insides up for twelve hours sitting next to me. Within three days I felt rough, but by the fourth I literally couldn't get out of bed I felt so ill. Then it felt like somebody had slit my throat from the insides. I spent three weeks flat on my back in bed and honestly have never felt so ill. For me that was flu and thankfully the only time I've had it.