Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Trip to New York

Going on 5 day city break to New York later in the year. Never been before.
I'm told its expensive...but thats no surprise as its the same for tourists staying in London.

I want to keep costs down as much as I can but without scrimping so much that we dont enjoy our trip.

Any good suggestions for places to eat, drink and sights to see (other than the obvious...ESB, the Rock, Staten Island Ferry, SoL, Central Park, Grand Central etc.) gratefully received.

Want to get a real feel of the place so any ideas of good diners, bars, sights etc..

Cheers all....With the wife and daughter so will give Hooters a miss.

Comments

• Options
    Went in November only for 2 and a 1/2 days
    Done majority of bits.

Staten Island ferry is good and free
    Empire State Building we done in the evening
    Top of the rock during the day.
    Grand central station I thought was cool ( typical a Charlton fan frothing over a train station )
    The dead rabbit is by the Staten Island ferry terminal - really good Irish pub very old inside and full of character - probably the best
    Also whilst down that way see the charging bull of Wall Street

Good pub off of Times Square the pig and whistle, good value food aswell, I’ll check out the right one and let you know and there’s a few of the same name
  • Options
    Ellis Island Museum is absolutely brilliant - if you get the chance, definitely go there.

Washington Square Park and Union Square are great public places, and Greenwich Village generally is a nice change of pace.

My wife is from New York so I am lucky to have been there lots of times: it's an incredible place with an amazing range of things to see and do. You'll have a great time!
  • Options
    I do not know how old your daughter is but we took our 15 year old son with us when we went and we had a family room in the New Yorker Hotel.

The prices were reasonable and the room clean and tidy, you are only sleeping in it as there is so much to do.

The hotel had everything you would expect, a great diner next door and within walking distance to Time square, shops, theaters, etc.

We traveled on the subway and felt perfectly safe and we did the Empire State Building at night which was amazing.

September should be okay however any later and be prepared to wrap up because it can get cold, and I mean cold.

• Options
    I took the kids a few years back and we’d done all the touristy bits and then some pretend/anticipated storm cancelled all flights on our scheduled return day and we couldn’t get another flight for another 3 or 4 days, I had to google up famous film locations to fill the days so they loved it going around having their pics taken in the ghostbusters fire station, a bunch of bits from Enchanted and the smurfs(they were only little), outside the friends building, the wizards of Waverley place and all sorts. Best thing we did though was Spider-Man on Broadway, great bit of theatre and well worth the bonkers ticket prices....
  • Options
    Plus one for the High Line, in fact just wander around and watch the crazies - all the people you thought were movie cliches, well they're real people in New York.

Chelsea Market for seafood or awesome chowder, a relatively cheap lunch.

Restaurants on Amsterdam Avenue (east of Broadway on the upper west side) were good and, I didn't think, particularly expensive.

Subway was efficient and felt at least as safe as the tube - buy a multi-day ticket and use that to get around.

We did the sun and stars ticket for the Rock - you get to go up during the day and the after dark which was cool - get your ticket online and skip some queuing.

This isn't free but was great fun and a good way to some bits of the city, or they do a Greenwich Village one too. I don't want to say too much as it'd spoil it if you do it, but its a kind of interactive walking tour where you meet various actors playing characters along the way and have to solve clues to find your next stop. https://www.accomplicetheshow.com/

911 memorial is free and a must. Just be prepared to be a bit annoyed by the people treating a solemn memorial to the death of thousands of people as a cheap Instagram opportunity.

I'd like to have done the tour of the UN building but you need to book a head a little bit and we left it too late.

Battery Park on the south end of Manhattan was a pleasant place for a stroll down by the river and you have some views on the SoL from there - walking distance to 1 World Trade Centre.

Get your lunches at one of the delis - they're everywhere - where there will be buffet style selection of loads of different foods, or sandwiches and pizzas to take away at reasonable prices, then go find a bench or wall somewhere and sit and watch the New Yorkers go by for an hour - you're bound to see something weird or unusual.

If you just want to save some money, just walk around and see what you find - there are little moments of interest all over the place. Absolutely fantastic place.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Thanks to all so far.
    Happy to spend money, just not get ripped off if i can avoid it :-)
    Was thinking of doing the Rock at night, rather than ESB as i want the ESB in my pictures. i believe the Chrysler Building worth a photo as well..
    Already booked hotel...mixed reviews on trip advisor..but i dont intend to spend much time there other than sleep!
  • Options
    Brilliant Italian restaurant in midtown: Basso56 on 56th (between 8th Ave & Broadway). Better book.
  • Options

Thanks to all so far.
    Happy to spend money, just not get ripped off if i can avoid it :-)
    Was thinking of doing the Rock at night, rather than ESB as i want the ESB in my pictures. i believe the Chrysler Building worth a photo as well..

Yes that's the only downside of the Rock, you can't really see the Chrysler building and that is, imo, the prettiest of the New York Sky Scrapers.

I'd recommend seeing the skyline during the day and night if you can as you get quite a different view and they both have their merits.

The tip about not overspending on your accommodation is a good one - there's so much to see you won't want to be in it for any length of time. If you haven't booked anywhere yet, consider something a bit out of the action but close to a subway station. You can save a lot by just being willing to stay somewhere a bit more basic and/or a 10 to 20 minute subway ride from downtown, and you'll be traveling to different parts of the city anyway, so being right next to Times Square isn't necessarily as advantageous as you might think.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m out in New York for a few days in March. My first time. I’ll let you know if I uncover any gems.
  • Options
    Second the shout for the New Yorker hotel.
  • Options
    Rosie O’Grady’s doma lovely steak not far fromTimes Square, if you can afford to get the discounted tickets do Broadway, don’t do horse and cart around Central Park, it isn’t worth it. Ground Zero a absolute must.
  • Options
    Take the missus and daughter to Woodbury Common shopping, you’ll be in their good books, New York is the bollox.
  • Options
    House swap can save a few quid. A few websites for that.
  • Options
    I stayed in an Airbnb last time I was there on the edge of Chinatown, very cheap and very convenient, decent two bed flat as well.
  • Options
    We stayed at The Roosevelt, it’s used in The French Connection
  • Options
    Stayed in the Salisbury and then qm2 on the way back
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

How did you find it...Mixed reviews on trip advisor...."tired", wifi $20 a day per device etc...
  • Options
    Went last year with the wife and got tickets to see the Knicks beat the Spurs - great time, but tickets can get crazy expensive
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If your daughter is in to Abercrombie and Fitch clothes, then give the shop on 5th Avenue a miss and head to South Street Seaport, where they have the 'sale' store...big savings and the clothes are actually current season etc...

I was going to suggest Lombardi's pizza, but it has very mixed reviews on Trip Advisor now... I loved it, but that was 7 years ago when I last ate there...

Bit out of the way, but do take some time to explore Brooklyn if you get a chance...it's ace...and definitely cross the Brooklyn Bridge and walk along the waterfront and take in the view of lower Manhatten...and if you can afford it, book a Sunday brunch at River Cafe, almost under the bridge on the Brooklyn side...

Also, possibly the best brewery in the world is in Brooklyn...Other Half Brewery...bit out of the way, but the tap room is a must or, if you dont make it down there, but do venture into a pub, if they're serving an Other Half brew (particularly one of their IPAs) then order a pint..

Go to Times Square, so you've seen it, but then get the hell out of there...it's the equivalent of spending time in Leicester Sq...

Oh....and there are loads of great b'fast places, but Bubby's is awesome (but a bit pricier than everywhere else)... there is one at the southern end of the High Line and then the other, further south still, is literally round the corner from the Ghostbusters firestation, so you can kill two birds with one stone...

Spent quite a few weeks in NYC last year, working, and abso-bloody-lutely love the place....enjoy.
  • Options
    Got tickets for my son and I to go a Giants game in November when we were out there. It cost about £200 but a fantastic experience.For a cheaper American sporting experience there were 3 ice hockey games at Maddison square gardens in the space of 5 days.Not my choice of sport but I think a sporting event is a good way to imibe the culture
  • Options
    I would second a trip to Madison Square Garden to see the Nicks - buy the tickets in advance from the box office and you can pick them up there. Much cheaper than secondary market prices.

As others have said, the Chrysler Building is beautiful, and I found the best view of it was from the top of the Empire State!

The open top buses are very good, drop on/drop of so one ticket can last you all day. The views are much better than using the subway and if you get a good guide they are great at explaining the history of the landmarks.

Grand Central is of course a must for all Charlton fans!

Absolutely amazing place and it runs London close as the best city - certainly that I’ve been to. You’ll love it.
  • Options
    Get New York pass. About $100 free entry into 64 sites. I went for 5 days planned in advance where to go to maximise visits. Good luck. You’ll love it.
  • Options
    Also, saving a google map of the city to my phone was a life saver for wandering about without getting lost or spending a fortune on data.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2491057,00.asp?amp=1
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

How did you find it...Mixed reviews on trip advisor...."tired", wifi $20 a day per device etc...
    Tired is probably a fair description.
    Don’t remember paying anything for the WiFi but it was about 7-years ago I think, maybe it didn’t have any back then??
  • Options
    Me too, am off in May so will follow the thread, we are staying at Dream hotel in downtown.
  • Options
    Acab said:

Get New York pass. About $100 free entry into 64 sites. I went for 5 days planned in advance where to go to maximise visits. Good luck. You’ll love it.

We got one of these, took a boat trip from pier 42? down the Hudson early evening and up the East, on the return trip, it was dark and you could see Manhattan, all lit up.
  • Options
    we stayed at the wolcott kinda old school and basic i hadnt been before but the mrs said the rooms were big for new York. was w 31st st, literally a 2 min walk from esb
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Did NYC as part of a US trip 18 months ago with my son for his 21st. Huge amounts of advice on here really helped. Thread is probably still around. We had two and a half days in NYC. We saw so much. Stayed in a hotel straight across the road from Madison Square Garden. Walked everywhere including right down manhatten through Greenwich and Tribeca to the 911 museum. Great way to see the city a little off the beaten track. Do 911 early morning before all the arseholes turn up. Walked across the Brooklyn bridge. Great view from the other side and some decent local beer but huge queues for eateries. Took the advice of a friend who lived out there for a while and booked a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan as the first thing we did. Great way to see the main sights quickly and to get your bearings. Weather was atrocious that day though but it did give us a few pictures that you wouldn’t get in postcards! We fell for a couple of restaurants in the beaten track and got fleeced. Just go a few blocks east or west and the price reduces to merely expensive. You can buy decent pizza for a buck a slice from vendors if you get stuck. Went up the Empire State late in the evening around 1100) We ust walked straight in with no queues. It’s a great view by moonlight. Chilly though. Great city. Enjoy.