Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bobby Moore was a Charlton fan

124»

Comments

• Options

Ahem, does @JamesSeed have something to answer for as his granddad seems to have let a future football legend slip through his fingers? ;-)
  • Options
    Stig said:

So, he chose Charlton so he could ride on a ferry. Hard to get more Charlton than that.

If he was really hard core, he would have got the train!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Stig said:

LenGlover said:

Stig said:

So, he chose Charlton so he could ride on a ferry. Hard to get more Charlton than that.

Off the wall question @Stig but were you on Radio 4 earlier?

Agree re Bobby Moore by the way!
    No, why what did I miss?
    You have a namesake then.

Didn't hear the whole programme but the gist is that it was about quantitative easing and government intervention to kickstart the economy. 'You' were talking about the funding of a housing project in Chipping Norton.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Ahem, does @JamesSeed have something to answer for as his granddad seems to have let a future football legend slip through his fingers? ;-)

Don't blame Jimmy Seed, blame the idiots who sacked him just as he was about to sign a future England legend! I haven't got the programme to hand, but from memory is was a match early in '56, before Bobby 'Addick' Moore signed for West Ham, and before JS was sacked.
    Clearly Bobby would much rather have signed for us!

It's interesting that after he was sacked he spelled out more clearly how he was hampered by the owners who wouldn't invest in the club, either in the infrastructure, or in players. Hence the recruitment of cheap overseas talent, amateurs like Jeppson, and young players (which ties in nicely with a 15 year old Bobby Moore).

In 1957 he wrote:

I know that while I was manager at Charlton there were disgruntled supporters who complained bitterly about inadequate stands, the lack of cover round the terraces, the increase of 1s. 9d. entrance to 2s. 6d., about our failure to buy star players. As secretary-manager manager I had to carry the can, but I can assure you that the economic situation was strictly the policy of the directors. I would have been happy to have been in the position to sign cheques for the building of adequate stands and the buying of star players to attract larger crowds, and in many ways to try and brighten up the Valley.
    In fairness to the directors, Charlton has always been a struggling club financially. The only time we had money to spend was when the Glikstens dipped into their pockets and having done so once, they clearly were not prepared to chance their luck twice. So what does a club and its manager do in the circumstances? The answer is simple... struggle on and make the most of it. In all the circumstances, I feel I did a reasonable job with what funds were at my disposal. I agree that over the years Charlton lost the goodwill of many loyal fans. It's easy to drive away the supporters, but not so easy to win them back unless success comes to the team.

[From The Jimmy Seed Story.]
    That final point undermines the position of most of the boycottors who have explained their reasoning as being little to do with success (or lack thereof!) on the pitch and more around the general treatment of the club and its history by the current ownership - best keep it for another time!
  • Options

Thanks, JS - I knew you would have a sensible reply to my tongue-in-cheek remark. What might have been, eh?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

@Stig or @Nug gotta get the CAFC badge on this now...

So the real reason England wore red shirts that day has finally come out...
    In 1966 it was white shirts with red flashes on the shoulders.

The theory being that those shirts made the Charlton players look bigger apparently.

Failed the Charlton Life height and weight test even then!

Plus ca change plus c'est la meme chose.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you certain of that Len? I remember that Charlton reverted to the red shirt towards the end of a season rather than the beginning. That would have been either 65/66 or 66/67. I seem to recollect that the first time I saw Charlton wear a red shirt was an early kick-off on a Good Friday. We played Preston on that day in 1966 and I think it was that game.

If it was then England's red shirts were an obvious celebration of Charlton's decision to return to wearing their traditional colours.

Of course my memory could be playing tricks.

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Stig said:

LenGlover said:

Stig said:

Off the wall question @Stig but were you on Radio 4 earlier?

Agree re Bobby Moore by the way!
    No, why what did I miss?
    You have a namesake then.

Didn't hear the whole programme but the gist is that it was about quantitative easing and government intervention to kickstart the economy. 'You' were talking about the funding of a housing project in Chipping Norton.
    Perhaps it was Stig Thundercock? :wink:
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Don't blame Jimmy Seed, blame the idiots who sacked him just as he was about to sign a future England legend! I haven't got the programme to hand, but from memory is was a match early in '56, before Bobby 'Addick' Moore signed for West Ham, and before JS was sacked.

It's interesting that after he was sacked he spelled out more clearly how he was hampered by the owners who wouldn't invest in the club, either in the infrastructure, or in players. Hence the recruitment of cheap overseas talent, amateurs like Jeppson, and young players (which ties in nicely with a 15 year old Bobby Moore).

In 1957 he wrote:

I know that while I was manager at Charlton there were disgruntled supporters who complained bitterly about inadequate stands, the lack of cover round the terraces, the increase of 1s. 9d. entrance to 2s. 6d., about our failure to buy star players. As secretary-manager manager I had to carry the can, but I can assure you that the economic situation was strictly the policy of the directors. I would have been happy to have been in the position to sign cheques for the building of adequate stands and the buying of star players to attract larger crowds, and in many ways to try and brighten up the Valley.
    In fairness to the directors, Charlton has always been a struggling club financially. The only time we had money to spend was when the Glikstens dipped into their pockets and having done so once, they clearly were not prepared to chance their luck twice. So what does a club and its manager do in the circumstances? The answer is simple... struggle on and make the most of it. In all the circumstances, I feel I did a reasonable job with what funds were at my disposal. I agree that over the years Charlton lost the goodwill of many loyal fans. It's easy to drive away the supporters, but not so easy to win them back unless success comes to the team.

My Dad would tell me about Jeppson - only with us a short time, however he really left an impression on Dad, who was disappointed when he left - Jeppson virtually won a match for us at Highbury Dad told me
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Are you certain of that Len? I remember that Charlton reverted to the red shirt towards the end of a season rather than the beginning. That would have been either 65/66 or 66/67. I seem to recollect that the first time I saw Charlton wear a red shirt was an early kick-off on a Good Friday. We played Preston on that day in 1966 and I think it was that game.

If it was then England's red shirts were an obvious celebration of Charlton's decision to return to wearing their traditional colours.

You've sown the seed of doubt now.

When did Billy Bonds go? My memories of him are wearing that shirt. He must have left c1966 or so.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

se9addick said:

JamesSeed said:

In 1957 he wrote:

That final point undermines the position of most of the boycottors who have explained their reasoning as being little to do with success (or lack thereof!) on the pitch and more around the general treatment of the club and its history by the current ownership - best keep it for another time!
    I don't think it undermines most of the boycotters at all. Jimmy Seed was making the obvious point that a club without ambition will bleed supporters whereas a club that has obvious ambition and invests in that vision is more likely to attract supporters. I am boycotting as are the majority of the people that I attended games with. Without exception all of us have supported Charlton through previous dismal seasons and relegations. One of them attended every home game in 2010/11 although each match involved a round journey of 300 miles. Hardly the actions of fair weather supporters. My own decision to boycott revolves around my refusal to give any money to someone who is systematically dismantling the club I have loved, followed and supported for more than fifty years.
    I think that's what you want it to say, but it's definitely not what it says.
  • Options

Billy Bonds left in May 67. It was so disappointing - we weren't to know at the time just how good Bob Curtis was going to be.
  • Options
    Ok then, give me your analysis of what he was saying then.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Mametz said:

You've sown the seed of doubt now.

When did Billy Bonds go? My memories of him are wearing that shirt. He must have left c1966 or so.
    Don't worry about it Len, you may be right and I'm wrong. A programme from the last few games of 65/66 will probably give the strip.

• Options

JamesSeed said:

In 1957 he wrote:

My Dad would tell me about Jeppson - only with us a short time, however he really left an impression on Dad, who was disappointed when he left - Jeppson virtually won a match for us at Highbury Dad told me
    Saved us from relegation almost single handed.
    He was only ever with us temporarily. He was in London for a short time on a course (he was an amateur at the time).
    JS snatched him from the jaws of Arsenal, the club Jeppsion supported.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Mametz said:

se9addick said:

JamesSeed said:

In 1957 he wrote:

I don't think it undermines most of the boycotters at all. Jimmy Seed was making the obvious point that a club without ambition will bleed supporters whereas a club that has obvious ambition and invests in that vision is more likely to attract supporters. I am boycotting as are the majority of the people that I attended games with. Without exception all of us have supported Charlton through previous dismal seasons and relegations. One of them attended every home game in 2010/11 although each match involved a round journey of 300 miles. Hardly the actions of fair weather supporters. My own decision to boycott revolves around my refusal to give any money to someone who is systematically dismantling the club I have loved, followed and supported for more than fifty years.
    I think that's what you want it to say, but it's definitely not what it says.
    I think all he was saying was, ‘don’t take the fans for granted. It’s much easier to lose them than win new ones’.

Give ‘em a club to believe in. Which some may say we haven’t had for a few years.

Let’s hope we’re about to enter a new era, with a Sir Bobby designated our No1 celebrity fan.
  • Options
    Time to name the South stand the Bobby Moore stand?
  • Options
    I'm told that his ghost wants Roland out as well.
  • Options

Time to name the South stand the Bobby Moore stand?

That’s a great idea. And at last it could be The Jimmy Seed Valley!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    Did we get clarity on this one?
  • Options

pettgra said:

Must be karma. We shared the same birthday, 12th April.

Was always a huge fan of Bobby Moore. My first away game was when Charlton played West Ham at Upton Park in January 1964 in the third round of the FA Cup. We lost 3-0 and they went on to beat Preston 3-2 in the final.

That was my one too. He was absolute class that day. Hardly gave our Eddie and Roy Matthews a kick. Dont think he even got his shorts dirty.

Just looked it up. 34,000 at Upton Park that day. West Ham scorers were Brabrook, Hurst and Sissons. Also see that West Ham lost to Blackburn 8-2 a couple of days before Christmas, which must have been about 10 days or so before this game with Charlton.
    I was at the game.

Don't remember to much about it except we were never in it from the off. The tube was jam packed coming away, so was glad to get off. My Dad and I walked over Tower Bridge, Old Kent Road and home to Peckham. It was a miserable journey home, typical Charlton cup game. One to forget. Consoled my self years after that we had gone out to the cup winners. Same as a couple of years earlier when Spurs beat us 3-2 (at least we put up a fight) and went on to win the cup.
  • Options
    Has anyone actually tried to explain to a Hammer that Moore was a Charlton fan? Gonna be seeing one tomorrow and not sure how to break it to him