Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Glenn Murray arrested over £1.1m tax fraud

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42809696

Not the sort of player you'd expect to be investigated for such misdemeanours...

Comments

• Geez, £1,100,000 is a sizable chunk to miss off your self-assessment..

Interesting to see that his missus is allegedly involved too.
  • I'm sure there are a few other players sweating tonight.
  • edited January 2018
    He won't go to prison cos he's a footballer and unfortunately, these people kids look at as role models get away with things most normal people wouldn't. Expect a hefty fine and other bits but prison I doubt . Not that I agree with it .

Unreal how it can get to that amount when I once got a letter claiming I owed £7 odd.
  • Murrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy.
  • He will have to play incognito when he is eventually released on bail and just in case anyone recognises him and gives him abuse. Mind you , he needs to stick a syrup on his bonce to cover up that monkey's bum on the back of his head in any event .HMRC 1 Mr and Mrs Murray 0.
  • LuckyReds said:

Geez, £1,100,000 is a sizable chunk to miss off your self-assessment..

Interesting to see that his missus is allegedly involved too.

A bit more than that. That’s the Tax!
  • Bit of a schoolboy/girl error that has bitten them big time having checked info available in the public domain.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bit of a schoolboy/girl error that has bitten them big time having checked info available in the public domain.
  • Could go down for this, most palace players do given half a chance.

If I could give 10 lols I would. Very good sir.
  • edited January 2018
    He is there top Scorer
    He gets sentenced and that could be what relegates them
  • He is there top Scorer

He's only just been arrested. The couple's computers were seized during the HMRC arrest. The data that are on the computers will need to be properly preserved as a first stage and can only then be analysed. It would be beyond extraordinary if a court case happened any time soon. Interesting that it's reported to be VAT too - not just income tax.
  • VAT fraud is never a bright idea...
  • VAT fraud is never a bright idea...

Nigels ain't bright
  • LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP, LOCK HIM UP...
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc4life said:

He won't go to prison cos he's a footballer and unfortunately, these people kids look at as role models get away with things most normal people wouldn't. Expect a hefty fine and other bits but prison I doubt . Not that I agree with it .

Unreal how it can get to that amount when I once got a letter claiming I owed £7 odd.

Predetermining the outcome and trotting out the old "role models" line. Classic stuff.
  • VAT man doesn't mess about with fraud
  • cafc999 said:

VAT man doesn't mess about with fraud

Exactly- Don't mess with the VATMAN!
  • He is there top Scorer

And potentially keep Palace up.

I hope he's innocent:-)
  • He is there top Scorer

And potentially keep Palace up.

I hope he's innocent:-)
    Just a minor oversight, can't see what all the fuss is about :wink:
  • Wow - that’s unexpected.
  • Small fry. Big headlines.

When are they going to deal with corporate fraud?

• Oggy Red said:

Small fry. Big headlines.

When are they going to deal with corporate fraud?

What information have you heard that suggests this matter isn't of that nature? There's a couple of clues: the mention of VAT and the HMRC spokesperson saying business records were seized.

Meanwhile, the answer to your question is that they are and are continuing to do so. Read more here: https://accountancylive.com/hmrc-raises-extra-ps26bn-corporation-tax-investigations