Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mark E Smith

Comments

• 32 studio albums takes some doing and I bet there aren't many bands whose lineup-timelines look like this:

• RIP sad to hear this, a real rock rebel
  • edited January 2018
  • No granny on bongos in the lineup timeline?
  • Huge part of my cultural life.
    I saw the fall more than 30 times.
    Irreplaceable.
  • Wouldn't claim to be an afficionado, but never heard a Fall song that didn't make the day better. RIP Mark E Smith
  • Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Not sure how but I totally missed this band.

You're not exactly into Indie are you ?
    I've had my moments! I've got a few Indie singles in my collection.
    Coldplay don't really count :wink:
  • Stig said:

32 studio albums takes some doing and I bet there aren't many bands whose lineup-timelines look like this:

The great Robert Pollard has released over 100 albums under various band names, solo and as Guided by Voices, he's also just turned 60 and is still going strong. Likes booze and fags too.
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember a classic NME interview in the 80’s with Mark E Smith, Nick Cave and Shane MacGowan.

Great read.
  • stonemuse said:

I remember a classic NME interview in the 80’s with Mark E Smith, Nick Cave and Shane MacGowan.

Great read.

Found it

thequietus.com/articles/09277-mark-e-smith-nick-cave-shane-macgowan-nme-interview
  • I don't normally do these but RIP. Mad as a box of frogs. Last time I saw The Fall was at the Indigo, great gig. Also saw them a few years ago when he had broken his leg and took to the stage in a wheelchair, not such a great gig.
  • Only saw The Fall maybe 4/5 times (mostly around the Code Selfish era). Even though Mark E Smith’s vocals were brilliantly random and obscure, the music was so funky and danceable.
  • stonemuse said:

stonemuse said:

I remember a classic NME interview in the 80’s with Mark E Smith, Nick Cave and Shane MacGowan.

Great read.

Found it

thequietus.com/articles/09277-mark-e-smith-nick-cave-shane-macgowan-nme-interview
    Very entertaining! Smith's a twat, but when you make music that good who cares?
    RIP
  • RIP. A man who followed his vision of his art without compromise, with all the negatives and positives that entailed.
    I haven't listened to any new Fall material in ages. I will get round to it.
    Terrible couple of days losing 3 very different icons - MES, Ursula Leguin and Hugh Masakela. I liked them all and feel the world is a slightly less adventurous place today.
  • Wow this is sad indeed. The Wife's favourite band are The Fall, I think she must have missed this piece of news or I'm sure she would've mentioned it.
  • Never liked The Fall, but always had a bit of respect for MES. Same age as me too... RIP.
  • Favourite band in my early 20s then lost track. Saw them loads from Grotesque to Telephone Thing. I'd say rest in peace but I doubt he will. Aged 60.
  • Sponsored links:

• Last time I saw The Fall live was at the Roral Court Theatre in Liverpool 1984 supported by John the Postman.
  • RIP MES - abrasive genius who did everything on his own terms
  • Never heard of him or the band so I thought id check out their stuff, read his last interview and just tried to watch their Glastonbury set from 2015, jesus what a sack of shit, he's a/was 60 year old angry teenager, its all rather embarrassing, genius? Nah.
    Anyway RIP.
  • Greenie said:

Never heard of him or the band so I thought id check out their stuff, read his last interview and just tried to watch their Glastonbury set from 2015, jesus what a sack of shit, he's a/was 60 year old angry teenager, its all rather embarrassing, genius? Nah.
    Anyway RIP.

Probably the most appropriate farewell on this thread :D
  • Leuth said:

Greenie said:

Never heard of him or the band so I thought id check out their stuff, read his last interview and just tried to watch their Glastonbury set from 2015, jesus what a sack of shit, he's a/was 60 year old angry teenager, its all rather embarrassing, genius? Nah.
    Anyway RIP.

Yep, I think he would have appreciated this...
  • Leuth said:

Greenie said:

Anyway RIP.

Yep, I think he would have appreciated this...
    Hahaha spot on-aah.
  • Greenie said:

Anyway RIP.

Did you watch John Barnes play for Charlton and conclude he must have been fat and useless throughout his entire career?
  • Very good:

Mark E Smith reads classified football results on Final Score

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42820514
  • Greenie said:

Anyway RIP.

Did you watch John Barnes play for Charlton and conclude he must have been fat and useless throughout his entire career?
    Not a good analogy because I didn't just look at the Glastonbury set I listened to some of his earlier pony as well, I also read a few interviews and the bloke comes across as a bore and a child.
    Look no one can still explain to me why this appalling bloke is so 'good'.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Anyway RIP.

Not a good analogy because I didn't just look at the Glastonbury set I listened to some of his earlier pony as well, I also read a few interviews and the bloke comes across as a bore and a child.
    Look no one can still explain to me why this appalling bloke is so 'good'.
    He was famed because of his attitude - he was an awkward bastard. It's a style you ever love or loathe.