Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2018

Comments

• Not having a pop guys, but looks a fairly threadbare squad.

Donald is bringing Steyn and ABV as Kolpaks plus Rabada and Amla as overseas.
    In all seriousness, the rumour is that we will be getting JP Duminy and Parnell.
    both good players.
    A little anecdote for you...i saw JPD play his very first first class game for Western Province v Northerns at Newlands stadium all those years ago.Probably circa 2002 i would imagine.
  • Assuming that the rumours that JPD and Parnell are signing come to fruition, I would imagine that, once Billings comes back from the IPL, this will be close to our starting X1:

DBD (Kent)
    Dickson (South Africa)
    Denly (Kent)
    Billings (Kent)
    JPD (South Africa)
    Stevens (Leics)
    Gidman (Gloucs)
    Stewart (Australia)
    Parnell (South Africa)
    Qayyum (Middlesex)
    Claydon (Australia)

The places in brackets are where these players grew up.The side has potential but it is sad to see just how few of them are home grown players. I have been very critical of the likes of Glamorgan for the overuse of Kolpaks and would hate to see this to become a sign of things to come for us.
  • Joe Denly will be playing in the Pakistan Super League. This finishes on the 25th March, so no real clash with the county championship

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42857251
  • Joe Denly will be playing in the Pakistan Super League. This finishes on the 25th March, so no real clash with the county championship

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/42857251

Pleased for Joe because he is, at last, getting some recognition. However, the final of our tournament is on 22nd Feb (the reserve day is the 24th) and the KK's first match is on the 23rd. So, we will, presumably, release him and Gidman will captain the side.
  • I cannot see that this has been mentioned. Billings has been picked up in the second draft by Chennai Super Kings.
  • Assuming that the rumours that JPD and Parnell are signing come to fruition, I would imagine that, once Billings comes back from the IPL, this will be close to our starting X1:

DBD (Kent)
    Dickson (South Africa)
    Denly (Kent)
    Billings (Kent)
    JPD (South Africa)
    Stevens (Leics)
    Gidman (Gloucs)
    Stewart (Australia)
    Parnell (South Africa)
    Qayyum (Middlesex)
    Claydon (Australia)

The places in brackets are where these players grew up.The side has potential but it is sad to see just how few of them are home grown players. I have been very critical of the likes of Glamorgan for the overuse of Kolpaks and would hate to see this to become a sign of things to come for us.

Where's the evidence of them coming in ?
  • pettgra said:

I cannot see that this has been mentioned. Billings has been picked up in the second draft by Chennai Super Kings.

Yep was going to comment on this. So our captain won't actually be available until our 5th County Championship game.
  • wmcf123 said:

Assuming that the rumours that JPD and Parnell are signing come to fruition, I would imagine that, once Billings comes back from the IPL, this will be close to our starting X1:

DBD (Kent)
    Dickson (South Africa)
    Denly (Kent)
    Billings (Kent)
    JPD (South Africa)
    Stevens (Leics)
    Gidman (Gloucs)
    Stewart (Australia)
    Parnell (South Africa)
    Qayyum (Middlesex)
    Claydon (Australia)

Where's the evidence of them coming in ?
    No evidence which is why it's "rumours" as it is what I have been told by a reasonable source but these things have a habit of falling through! I also am aware of why Stevens isn't going and it is a personal one which I am not prepared to put on a public forum - not even for the benefit of my CL friends! Suffice to say he is not ill and neither is any member of his family and he hasn't fallen out with anyone so there is nothing untoward so far as him not going on the trip is concerned.
  • Backs up what I was told before Christmas that JP would come in on a 2 year contract as captain.
    Prob captaining until SB is available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Heard a rumour that Mr Northeast has been offered a contract from a county which is neither north nor east; in fact, just along the coast. He'd be very welcome. I daresay that there are other offers about though.
  • Heard a rumour that Mr Northeast has been offered a contract from a county which is neither north nor east; in fact, just along the coast. He'd be very welcome. I daresay that there are other offers about though.

Well he won't have to go far for his bats in that case! He used to be sponsored by Newbery in Sussex but Tim Keeley, their brilliant bat maker, has now branched out on his own and provides SNE with his bats - another up and coming player has started to use Keeley bats too and thoroughly recommends them!
  • Playing Guyana Jaguars today. Joe Denly has a stomach bug so Gidman skippers but have to say there doesn't look much strength to our batting with the likes of Denly, Northeast, Billings and Stevens from our top six all missing:

DBD
    Dickson
    Crawley
    Blake
    Gidman
    Haggett
    Rouse
    Tredwell
    Qayyum
    Claydon
    Thomas

• Guyana 40-3 off 10 from 20-0 off 5.

Two for Claydon one for Thomas.
  • 79-3 off 20

43 year old Shivnarine Chanderpaul 39*
  • 79-3 off 20

43 year old Shivnarine Chanderpaul 39*

I imagine he's faced more threatening attacks in his career than ours...

A shame Stevens isn't there, a 41 year old bowling to a 43 year old would give hope to all of us!
  • 92-4 off 25

Chanderpaul 49*
  • 154-6 off 36 Chanderpaul out

Two for Gidman and one for Haggett
  • 215-8 (45)

Another each to Claydon and Thomas
  • 233 all out

Claydon 5-31
  • Sponsored links:

• Lost by 35 runs. Crawley top scored with 60 but our somewhat long tail got found out.
  • Surprising choice of captain considering SNE and Collingwod are in the team!
  • Collingwood was a late inclusion while Sam is already captaining the South Side in the ECB North/South fixture, so it makes sense that another player is getting a chance as skipper.
  • I've never really though of DBD as a captain. Not sure whether he's ever done it - in age group cricket or for the 2nd X1
  • Kent play Jamaica tomorrow, Leeward Islands on Tuesday, USA on Thursday and Guyana on Saturday which is live on BT Sport starting at 6.00pm.
  • Kent played a Jamaica side today containing the likes of Chris Gayle and Andre Russell. Chasing just 159 to win, we were 6-3 and 47-5 but got home by 4 wickets thanks to 74 not out from Blake.

Thomas 4/30, Denly 4/35

In white ball cricket, Joe is becoming a serious weapon with the ball! He bowled quite well in the BB too
  • Keep that positive news a'comin please guys.
  • Doug "the rug" Bollinger has retired at the age of 36 from all forms of the game.

He did well for us in 2014 taking 57 wickets in all forms of the game and wish him well in the future.