Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cheers doncaster

Last minute equalizer scored by Alfie beestin
And Bradford beaten by Rotherham is probably better for Us?
Keeps 4 th place still within our grasp
Or am I being over optimistic or even not optimistic enough that automatic is is still there to be had??

Comments

• Options

We're going to win the league mate.

If only as I got a good price on bet 365
    And my winnings from our last league win has long gone but did pay for a nice holiday though
  • Options
    3rd or 4th should be our aim now... Of course if we can get automatics then great yet should start focusing on getting home advantage in the second leg of the Play-Offs

Dont really want 3rd either as then we'll get the team in 6th and so a high chance of facing the side in form that burst into the Play-Offs at the last moment, i.e. the last two winners have been from 6th (Barnsley and They-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named)
  • Options
    Think we will probably finish 4th by the end of the season. 2 points off 3rd, 7 points off Blackburn who finish 2nd.
  • Options
    I don't know if Rotherham beating Bradford is good or not - a draw would have been the best result for me. But results will go for you and against you and ultimately it is going to be up to us if we are going to have a successful season, not others.
  • Options

we play Blackburn last home game of the season so keeping in tradition of a club celebrating promotion at our place.

Will be an amazing game if we are within 3 points of them.

We're 125/1 with Bet Victor to make the top 2. Get on it!
  • Options

we play Blackburn last home game of the season so keeping in tradition of a club celebrating promotion at our place.

Will be an amazing game if we are within 3 points of them.

We're 125/1 with Bet Victor to make the top 2. Get on it!
    then all up to manchester ( we play rochdale ) the week after for a piss up and a night out in town
  • Options
    I can't see either Blackburn or Wigan losing enough games to bring us into play in terms of the automatics. I could see us coming third!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wigan are too good but Blackburn could be catchable. They beat us st Ewood but I wasnt impressed with them at all. Our own goal gave them the game.
  • Options
    wigan and blackburn play each other on 4th march so they cant both win.

wigan dont have many top teams to play with there last few games are teams that could easily be gone, plus i was seriously impressed with them at the valley, so can see them winning by a big points margin, the rest are all catchable suprised shrewsbury have last this long.
  • Options
    Too early to say where we will finish up & if 3rd will be better than 4th etc. No idea who will or could make the play offs - might want to play the 6th place team if its Shrewsbury who have dropped lower & lower over the final few months of the season.
  • Options
    We’re a fickle bunch. Three weeks ago we were talking about finishing mid table and then we sell our best player, receive confirmation that we have no money to spend, three wins and we are talking about finishing top two.

I’d take 6th right now and suspect that by the time we play Blackburn we will be unable to even make the playoffs.
  • Options
    We just need to focus on securely firming up a playoff spot, we have seemed to peak at the right time (fingers crossed) as Bradford and Scunthorpe are in indifferent form
  • Options
    I don’t want to piss on anyone’s fireworks here but our defence is not good enough to go on a run that gets us anywhere near top two. I realise Pearce and Bauer are yet to return but we give away far to many very poor goals. Almost every game there’s a howler.

What we must do is aim for sixth spot. Once the playoffs start any of the four can do it.
  • Options

I don’t want to piss on anyone’s fireworks here but our defence is not good enough to go on a run that gets us anywhere near top two. I realise Pearce and Bauer are yet to return but we give away far to many very poor goals. Almost every game there’s a howler.

What we must do is aim for sixth spot. Once the playoffs start any of the four can do it.

The bigger issue (I think) that'll stop us from getting top two is the fact we cant come from behind... We all know that when the opposition score first its pretty much game over and thats regardless where they are in the League!!
  • Options
    We won't be catching Wigan and Blackburn but equally we should be finishing top six - not doing so would not good enough from Robinson IMO. Once we're there then anyone can win them - asides from the top two I don't think any of the other sides are particularly special. Shrewsbury the best of the bunch but very beatable and we'll get a good look at them before the end of the season.
  • Options
    Top end of the pitch is a much bigger issue than our defence, i think our defence has looked shaky due to the inability to kill games off, we sit back for the final 20 mins of every game we are 1 goal up in and invariably concede fairly regularly
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafc-west said:

If we finish in the play-off places not sure it matters where too much. From watching previous years its all about momentum and performance at the time of the games. Can't quote specific examples - but teams that have been on a winning streak for 5-6 games that sneak into 6th place towards the end of the season tend to do better in the playoffs than teams that have been sitting there for a while on the back of points accumulated earlier in the season. IMO.

To me Shrewsbury would be the classic example of a team who had a great season, finished 3rd but were dipping at the end (possibly through tiredness), and thus lose in the playoffs

Sheffield Utd did that the year we won league 1
  • Options

Defence on paper looks the strongest, just injuries have mean we haven't had a consistent back 4 this season. If we can get that settled no issues there, its scoring goals or letting teams come back when we are on top 1 up, this will hinder us the most.

Agree do not think we will get top 2 both Wigan and Blackburn wont be caught. Dont care where in play offs we finish as long as we get there in good form.
  • Options

Defence on paper looks the strongest, just injuries have mean we haven't had a consistent back 4 this season. If we can get that settled no issues there, its scoring goals or letting teams come back when we are on top 1 up, this will hinder us the most.

Agree do not think we will get top 2 both Wigan and Blackburn wont be caught. Dont care where in play offs we finish as long as we get there in good form.
    To use the old adage. We don’t play on paper. Joking aside you’re correct that our defence has been badly hit by injuries but that doesn’t detract from the number of times our defence has been caught cold and napping. When you get injuries the players that come in need to be as well drilled as those injured. At times this season we’ve looked like a pub team at the back. That’s as much about coaching as anything.

• Options
    Wigan will as they pretty much are already run away with the league. 14 points between us and they have a game in hand.

2nd/3rd with a gap of 9 points (but again a game in hand on us) I doubt both are catchable but expect Shrews to fall away at least a little.

This weekend could be interesting with Rotherham not playing, Shrews have Pompey this weekend so maybe they can do us a favour although Bradford at home to Wimbledon you'd expect them to win.

It's all down to Chrissy Powell quite frankly - they are at home to Scunthorpe this weekend, following home game is Wigan, then Portsmouth and they also have Rotherham at home, Portsmouth away and Bradford away. Come on Chris, don't let us down........

(Still think we'll be 7th - 12th though).

• Options
    edited January 2018

cafc-west said:

If we finish in the play-off places not sure it matters where too much. From watching previous years its all about momentum and performance at the time of the games. Can't quote specific examples - but teams that have been on a winning streak for 5-6 games that sneak into 6th place towards the end of the season tend to do better in the playoffs than teams that have been sitting there for a while on the back of points accumulated earlier in the season. IMO.

To me Shrewsbury would be the classic example of a team who had a great season, finished 3rd but were dipping at the end (possibly through tiredness), and thus lose in the playoffs

Sheffield Utd did that the year we won league 1
    Yes, though a major factor was the arrest and imprisonment of a certain striker...
  • Options
    We will have to continue to put together a good winning run just to make the playoffs, its definately doable.
  • Options

About time that the gods smiled upon us though.
    Especially against Blackburn.

Season 1957-58 Second Division, in front of a crowd of 56,000,

Having been relegated the previous season, Charlton just needed a point to be promoted straight back to the First Division (top tier).
    Blackburn themselves needed a win to be promoted.

You can guess what happened.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

About time that the gods smiled upon us though.
    Especially against Blackburn.

Season 1957-58 Second Division, in front of a crowd of 56,000,

Having been relegated the previous season, Charlton just needed a point to be promoted straight back to the First Division (top tier).
    Blackburn themselves needed a win to be promoted.

You can guess what happened.

Game was null and void meaning we both missed out ;)
  • Options
    When it comes to Charlton, I am seriously a half-empty glass man. A lifetime of support and generally being let down makes you like that!

But even I can't see anyway we won't make the play-offs. By the standards of this piss-poor league, we have a top class squad of players. And although short of a main striker, a squad that is probably generally a lot stronger and deeper than most in this Division. Anything other than qualifying for the play-offs would be seriously underachieving and I can easily see us going on a run of results that lets us overtake Scunthorpe, Bradford City and Rotherham.

To me the question is much more, can we challenge for a top two place. Seems unlikely to be fair as Wigan will surely run away with one spot but put a run of results together and Blackburn's 9 point lead over us could easily fall to 3 or 4. Then it would be interesting to see how they cope with that.

Of course, if we lose at Blackpool on Saturday then ignore all the above and prepare to settle for a mid-table finish!