Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ROT statement released this afternoon

Press Release from Charlton Athletic fans’ Roland Out Today party

Charlton fans’ political protest party Roland Out Today (ROT) welcomes confirmation from CAFC Director Richard Murray that potential purchasers are showing interest in taking over Charlton Athletic Football Club from widely despised owner Roland Duchâtelet.

A ROT spokesperson said today, “After 4 years of incompetent mismanagement, we welcome the prospect of being run by people with an interest in sporting success and sound knowledge of the domestic football scene. ROT looks forward to a time when fans and management can cooperate to regain our former reputation as one of the best run family-friendly clubs in the country.”

“We have been worried the transfer of Ricky Holmes to Sheffield Utd indicated Duchâtelet planned to conduct a fire-sale before leaving – he did something similar when he sold Standard Liège – so reassurance on this matter is welcome. A policy of asset-stripping would make it impossible for CAFC to retain a play-off position this season. Karl Robinson is a manager, not a magician.”

“However, ROT’s main concern remains, that Duchâtelet may keep a foothold in the club by retaining ownership of our home stadium, The Valley, or our Sparrows Lane training ground. We have seen in his Belgian home town Sint-Truiden the adverse effects his family’s ownership and development of Stayen has had upon the team STVV which plays there. We do not want that replicated in Charlton. This cancer needs to be completely excised from our club.”

Meanwhile, Roland Out Today continues making the preparations necessary to field a candidate in the upcoming municipal elections to be held this year in Sint-Truiden. It is ROT’s intention to use the election process to cast a critical spotlight on Roland Duchâtelet’s record as a local property developer, politician, and sometime owner of 6 football clubs in 5 countries. For further details, visit ROT’s website http://www.rolandouttoday.eu/

Interviews and further information available by emailing ROT at press@rolandouttoday.eu

Comments

• Options
    Does this mean that the Candidate will still stand in the elections even if the takeover happens?
  • Options

Timely and tactically sound announcement, although personally I am not keen on the use of the word "cancer".

Agreed re the 'c' word, Prague- an unfortunate analogy in an otherwise well- written piece.
  • Options

Even from beyond the grave this bloke would be better at running a football club than our tuckfard president.
  • Options

Timely and tactically sound announcement, although personally I am not keen on the use of the word "cancer".

Exactly what I thought. A wrong step in an otherwise sound statement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Everyone would prefer the team to be strengthened this window, and go on to achieve promotion, but whatever the outcome the squad is unlikely to be so poor that a good owner could not pull us back in a year or two.

For me the absolutely key imperative for the takeover is that the new owner takes possession of the real estate as well as the personnel. If Roland retains the land, it could take a decade or more to unscramble the situation, and get us back to where we all want to be.
  • Options

As a cancer sufferer myself, that is how I describe his reign, a cancer that needs removing. Am not offended by it, just the opposite.
    I, too, am a cancer sufferer, and I DON'T like 'cancer' being used in this way. Are you right, and I'm wrong?

It's a simple thing to think about. Use a word which some don't mind, but some do? Or just find a term that no one can take offence to?
  • Options
    I've had cancer but I don't take offence to this because that's not how it was meant.
    Some people might see it differently but it certainly wasn't meant to be offensive
  • Options
    edited January 2018

As a cancer sufferer myself, that is how I describe his reign, a cancer that needs removing. Am not offended by it, just the opposite.
    I, too, am a cancer sufferer, and I DON'T like 'cancer' being used in this way. Are you right, and I'm wrong?

It's a simple thing to think about. Use a word which some don't mind, but some do? Or just find a term that no one can take offence to?
    Like "old wrinkly ballbag " surely no one cang be offended by that?
  • Options
    Surely exorcised not excised ? Here to help :wink:
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:

True, but I don't hold out much hope of no one being offended by your spelling mistake and grammatical errors.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:

I had an emergency operation on mine a couple of years ago and funny it was not. My boy laughs about it though.
  • Options
    No. I think you can excise a growth. It's just a posh way of saying "cut out" isn't it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

CAFCDAZ said:

I had an emergency operation on mine a couple of years ago and funny it was not. My boy laughs about it though.
    Bet your old boy don’t though
  • Options
    I would replace "cancer" with "despicable parasite"?
  • Options
    N01R4M said:

Everyone would prefer the team to be strengthened this window, and go on to achieve promotion, but whatever the outcome the squad is unlikely to be so poor that a good owner could not pull us back in a year or two.

For me the absolutely key imperative for the takeover is that the new owner takes possession of the real estate as well as the personnel. If Roland retains the land, it could take a decade or more to unscramble the situation, and get us back to where we all want to be.

He does have previous for this too.....

• Options

So pleased you said that.

It is neither appropriate or correct to use it in the context of fans v owners dispute. there are far more important issues surrounding friends and family suffering and dying from cancer. Duchatalet for all his negatives is not a matter of life and death.
  • Options

No. I think you can excise a growth. It's just a posh way of saying "cut out" isn't it?

To "excise" is a very old custom.

Hence the phrase "customs and excise" for the modern day practice of taxing your bollocks off.
  • Options
    The customary removal of vital organs using a very blunt knife and an extremely slow call centre.

Of course since the bright minds of Customs and Excise joined with Her Majesties’ Revenue to form Her Majesties’ Revenue and Customs, there have had to be more cuts to both the service and to every other governmental service because more money is wasted through incompetence every year than is collected through the actions of those that remain.

• Options
    Parasite might be a better word - the regime is a parasite eating away at our beloved club from within.