Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimmy Armfield.

Comments

• RIP Jimmy. I saw him play a couple of times, a great full back & one club man.
  • RIP to Jimmy Armfield. What I didn't know until this morning was Jimmy was a close mate of Duncan Edwards and Matt Busby wanted him to join the Busby babes in 1957, a year before the Munich air crash. The fickle finger of fate meant Jimmy didn't go to United and a injure in the spring of 66 meant George Cohen got the right back spot for the finals even thou Jimmy was in the squad. A top footballer, broadcaster and most of all a top man on all accounts.
  • Remember listening to him particularly midweek football during the eighties, great football man, will never forget his voice...
    Rest in peace
  • Thanks for all your kind words. I'll link this thread to our site later. More tributes and discussion on what should happen on Saturday available here - https://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/index.php.
  • One of those voices you always associate with Football commentating.
  • such a distinctive voice, and also very no nonsense in what he said - RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• A well respected, humble man.

Sleep tight, Jimmy.
  • RIP, sad news and a true gentleman.
  • My first ever boss was his son, also a very nice and funny man. RIP - one of the great voices of football.
  • Very sad, RIP Jimmy
  • RIP. As someone above said, a one club man. A different era.

I never saw him play but he was a constant for me on the radio growing up.
  • Sad news.

One of those few figures within football whose contribution to the game on and off the field over many years transcended individual club loyalties.

RIP
  • Jimmy Armfield was certainly a class act. When Keith Peacock was a winger during the 1960's he said that he one of the best full backs he ever played against.

RIP Jimmy.
  • RIP remember him playing for England a great footballer.
  • grew up listening to him summarise on Radio 2 and the best summariser of all time in my opinion RIP
  • Not only a very fine player but a excellent analyst of the game - RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• grew up listening to him summarise on Radio 2 and the best summariser of all time in my opinion RIP

Midweek football listening on radio 2 as I was growing up falling in love with the game , his voice was a standout amongst those days gone by

RIP
  • In the 1966 World Cup we had the best 2 RB's in the world
    Jimmy Armfield and George Cohen. RIP a true gentleman.
  • RIP Jimmy a proper football man and one of Sir Alf's 1966 world cup winning squad.
  • RIP Jimmy. A real gentleman
  • edited January 2018
    A true gentleman and a great football broadcaster. Earned top honours in the game and was always knowledgeable, thoughtful and honest in his comments.
    Such a shame he had to witness his proud and famous club became a disaster under the Oystons. RIP
  • RIP Jimmy
  • Riviera said:

Very sad. Loved listening to Jimmy.

Here is my post from August, not sure if the program is still available but sure to be repeated soon.

"Not many on here would have seen Jimmy Armfield play but all true football fans will know the name and particularly the voice as he's been summerisering on BBC Radio Sport since 1979. On Radio5Live tonight was a wonderful interview with the great man. Just listening to him talk about how he unluckily missed out on not only playing in the '66 World Cup but also being the winning captain is so heartwarming due to it's lack of bitterness and overriding humility.
    He picked up the pieces after Clough's infamous 44 days at Leeds and appointed the two best England managers since Sir Alf.
    I urge you to listen.
    "
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b092jsj1

The programme is now on the BBC radio player.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05vpwq6
  • edited January 2018
    BFC have announced that all HOME ticket sales for the match will go to the local Hospice https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2018/january/club-announces-plan-to-donate-saturdays-home-ticket-sales-to-trinity-hospice/
  • edited January 2018
    Very sad news. If I wasn't watching Charlton on a Saturday, I;d usually either be home helping my dad a with DIY and chores or, as I got older, he'd be round at my house helping me with DIY. The soundtrack to that would always be the radio and whatever the commentary game was that day. The sound of Jimmy Armfield's voice was as synonymous with those Saturdays at home as the theme tune to sports report. Never saw him play, but he was always a knowledgeable and intelligent pundit and came across as a lovely fella or did well to stay up to date and in love with the game as he aged, which cannot be said of some much younger pundits who are still working (cough..cough..Lawrenson..cough..cough).

This is well worth a listen if you missed it last year. bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05dp72f