Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supermarket Gems

13»

Comments

• Options
    RedPanda said:

Asda - ready made, veggie toad in the hole for £1.99 ('Quorn' brand). I eat meat but this is nicer, and healthier than most sausages in shops.

Had a sausage roll from Dennis of Bexley the other day, my god,it was divine.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

Asda - ready made, veggie toad in the hole for £1.99 ('Quorn' brand). I eat meat but this is nicer, and healthier than most sausages in shops.

Should be for ten quid
  • Options
    WSS said:

RedPanda said:

Should be for ten quid
    No, that's 10 for a quid from Dennis the Menace, fresh from the Greggs hot skip
  • Options
    and June's random bump of the month award goes to .....
  • Options
    Tesco's own tomato relish, only a £1 and really good.
  • Options
    I don‘t know if Aldi do it in the UK, but in Germany they sell a Brunello di Montalcino for 14.95 which really is an excellent bargain. You just need to open it about 2 hours before drinking!
  • Options
    Tesco do ostrich steaks at some stores. It ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than getting them from the butchers and ostrich is one of the leanest and tastiest meats you can eat.
  • Options
    Waitrose Prawn, Corriander and Chilli pizzas are extremely good.
  • Options

Tesco do ostrich steaks at some stores. It ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than getting them from the butchers and ostrich is one of the leanest and tastiest meats you can eat.

Glad they do steaks as a leg would be a bit too much for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Linda Macs sausages
  • Options
    oh and these ... https://uglydrinks.co.uk/
  • Options

Iceland's ostrich burgers are superb. 32g of protein per burger with under 2g fat. £2.50 for 2.

• Options
    Sainsburys do a decent Katsu Curry sauce in a jar. No animal bits so everyone can enjoy - saves spending a bloody hour trying to make it myself!
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Linda Macs sausages

They're not sausages.

They're cylinders of rehydrated textured soya protein.
  • Options
    With apologies to the vegans/vegetarians, but.....

Iceland - 2 Lean Rosé Veal & Black Pepper Quarter Pounders for £2.

Bloody fantastic.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This is actually good stuff, way more effective than Gatorade/Powerade etc. Huge in Asia.
  • Options

RedPanda said:

They’re closing the Ruxley branch, couldn’t sell enough £10 sausage rolls in the end...
  • Options
    Addickted said:

With apologies to the vegans/vegetarians, but.....

Iceland - 2 Lean Rosé Veal & Black Pepper Quarter Pounders for £2.

Bloody fantastic.

I think it’s an absolute tragedy that we don’t eat more rose veal in the uk.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not sure if there is thread on this type of thing already, but...

Just heated up some Sainsbury's taste the difference triple cooked oven chips from their freezer section and they were fantastic. Bit pricey compared to McCains et al, but very very tasty.

Anyone got any other supermarket gems they can recommend? (We are trying to save the pennies and eat out less etc.)

Never understood triple cooked chips. Surely that just means burnt?!

Also, anyone who loves a crossiant or fresh pastry and frequents expensive coffee shops in the morning then try ALDIs fresh pastries, especially when just out the oven in store. Much better at a fraction if the cost.
  • Options
    Iceland frozen fish. A wide range of frozen fillets, 4 in a £4 pack, but you can buy 3 packs for £10.

I really like the mackerel and rainbow trout fillets, lovely if you defrost and dry them, then gently pan fry. Good for you too (oily fish)
  • Options

Iceland frozen fish. A wide range of frozen fillets, 4 in a £4 pack, but you can buy 3 packs for £10.

I really like the mackerel and rainbow trout fillets, lovely if you defrost and dry them, then gently pan fry. Good for you too (oily fish)

Surely mackerel is cheaper fresh ?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Surely mackerel is cheaper fresh ?
    Not if you don't have a local fishmonger. Frozen fish is fresher too
  • Options
    Iceland Indian curry's are great. £1.59 for the curry, £1 for the rice. Very filling & tasty