Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Supermarket Gems

Comments

• Options
    Tesco waffles are better than Birdseye waffles
  • Options
    Toro Loco Spanish Rose from Aldi, 2017 vintage just in. Under four quid a bottle, drink well chilled.......deeeeeelish!

Also their non vintage French Pinot Noir, bloody gorgeous, £4.49, an absolute steal.

• Options
    Tesco's cheese and chutney loaf. Toasted!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

DA9 said:

Generally speaking I find it hard to tell the difference between supermarket own brands and most of their brand name equivalents. Certainly you soon get used to any slight variation in taste and the money you save.

I always read the ingredients labels on Medicines & painkillers etc, the majority own brand have the same as the big label, saves a lot of money.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/family/2016/12/revealed-the-identical-cold-and-flu-medicines-which-cost-a-third-of-the-price
    Got boots own brand paracetamol the other week for about 15p for the box !!
    Exactly same strength etc as the named brands
    Berocca is the same, Asda Brand has exactly the same ingredients but £2+ cheaper
  • Options
    Tesco Douro red wine and Tesco Cranberry, Raisin and Cashew bread.
  • Options

Tesco's cheese and chutney loaf. Toasted!

That sounds good.
  • Options
    Basics mozzarella always tastes as good as regular to me.

Lidl port very good. Has a yellow label. Only about 6 or 7 quid.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

The Korean supermarket in Peckham does brilliant meatballs. They really are the dog's bollocks.

Genuine laugh out loud at this, nearly spate my coffee over the front room, even the kids came in to see what the matter was!
  • Options
    Had a magnum of prosecco from Aldi over Christmas and my word was it good. Also check out their jars of curry @£1 (it comes with a capsule of spice)
  • Options
    Sainsbury taste the difference wokey hole aged cheddar is just awesome
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Aspirins, paracetamol's and the like are the same thing as fancy named stuff like nurofen. Get the own brands they are much cheaper.
    They say it takes about 3 days to adapt to different tea and Saintsbury's gold label tea bags are superb.
  • Options
    Oh. Tescos Speyside Single malt (it is 25 a bottle mind) is excellent.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Aspirins, paracetamol's and the like are the same thing as fancy named stuff like nurofen. Get the own brands they are much cheaper.
    They say it takes about 3 days to adapt to different tea and Saintsbury's gold label tea bags are superb.

This reminds me. One of those always tempted to keep myself out of misplaced selfish feeling that telling others could spoil it: tescos economy tea bags. 25p for 40; the best you can get. This are obviously to me, tea that's been collected and repackaged then sold off to get rid for some reason. It is lovely, certainly as good as anything I've tried that is literally 10 times dearer.
  • Options

I’d like to recommend B.O.B milk, which is now available in most major supermarkets.......orange top.
    Skimmed milk that really ‘does’ taste like full creamed milk.

Is it British produced and do the farmers get a fair price? Has the label got one of those tractor marks?

Milk imported from our near european neighbours is not produced with the same standards of acceptable animal husbandry. Sadly also true of much EU food production. British standards generally higher than what EU considers acceptable, and British 'acceptable' is enough to turn many sane folk veggie or worse vegan.
  • Options

Good value at £6

Worth it for the 19 lols
    Keep em coming lads and lasses
    I am newly single and living in a hostel and have no money these lols are keeping me going
    Sorry to hear that @paulie8290
    You used to get quite a bit of ribbing from many on here (myself included) for some of your, shall we say, unique posts, but also because you’d then react, sometimes bizarrely.
    But I’ve got to say, since you’ve returned you’ve shown a remarkable change of attitude. Self aware, witty and humble. And your knowledge of snooker is outstanding!
    Hope you catch a break soon. Good luck!
    Thanks @lordromford
  • Options

Proper Charlton Life thread this.

The Sainsburys Taste the Difference Paella is pretty good, usually in their 2 can dine for 10 quid or whatever deal.

Always have the large one for 2 people all to myself. Proper tasty!
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Good value at £6

Worth it for the 19 lols
    Keep em coming lads and lasses
    I am newly single and living in a hostel and have no money these lols are keeping me going
    You're not confusing LOLs with Bitcoins are you? If so I'm sorry I may have some bad news for you!.
  • Options
    Tesco s Gloucosime & Chronditin for dogs £3 for 90 tablets. Great for aching joints, but exactly the same as Holland & Barrett £14 for 30, well except they are chicken flavour. But me and Bailey thrive on them. ;)
  • Options
    Marks & Spencer Cornish Cruncher cheddar cheese is delicious, but quite pricey. Aldi do a similar version which is much cheaper and almost as good.
  • Options
    The Co-op Irresistible Sea Salt and Chardonnay Vinegar Crisps. They do the regular size bags, or big 150g ones that are often £1. I usually clear the shelf when they are on offer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Picked up five bottles of Amarone from Lidl. Very drinkable, £12.99. Even better, charged me just £3.99 at the checkout.
  • Options

I regularly take the taste the difference vine ripened tomatoes out their packaging and put them in the usual bags for tasteless uk loose variety.
    This is a tip that can be used across all supermarkets.

I think that's theft Robbo
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I think that is environmental repackaging Nick.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I quite like this thread. Dad's and men can love a bargain too...

#equalityforblokes
  • Options
    ads said:

Had i accidentally stumbled across mumsnet

I apologise Ads. I get where you're coming from.

But at the same time I do appreciate a good tip; be it betting, food, restaurants, holidays or whatever. And this site has quality tips in abundance (as well as humour) from kindred spirits.

• Options
    Asda - ready made, veggie toad in the hole for £1.99 ('Quorn' brand). I eat meat but this is nicer, and healthier than most sausages in shops.
  • Options
    That sounds absolutely rank.