Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Bayeux Tapestry

who would go and see it?

where should it be on display - Battle (logical and my choice), Hastings(why?), Canterbury (just because it was made there?) or somewhere else?

Living locally, in fact our house is a stone's throw from where William planted his 'standard' before the battle, I think it should be displayed in Battle Abbey. Would give a massive boost to the town.

Comments

• Options
    Agree with Battle but I expect it'll be somewhere in London.
  • Options
    It’s being shown at the British mueseum isn’t it?
  • Options

It’s being shown at the British mueseum isn’t it?

they want to but no decision has been made yet

• Options
    edited January 2018
    It would be epic to have it at battle, but where? It’s pretty long and would need a dedicated facility or room for it. I just can’t see it practically being moved to battle unfortunately.
  • Options
    Where most would see it would be best. So probably somewhere in London.
  • Options

It would be epic to have it at battle, but where? It’s pretty long and would need a dedicated facility or room for it.

in Battle Abbey. Think the tapestry is actually in three or four sections so not one long piece. With the numbers expected to visit I'm sure a suitable facility could be built if necessary.

• Options
    Agree with Large that it should be on show at Battle Abbey.

Eldest grandson is at the school there so we might get free passes to view it !
  • Options
    I wonder how many are aware of the full scale replica made by Victorian needlewomen, which is on permanent display in Reading Museum? http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/your-visit/permanent-galleries/bayeux-gallery
  • Options
    Agree with Battle, although London would be more convenient to visit.

We saw it when we were in Normandy a few years ago, well worth a visit.
  • Options
    iainment said:

but why does everything always have to be in London though and why when the tapestry has no association with London?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tbh, I’ll think I’ll wait for the Netflix version of the story...
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Seen it a couple of times. It's an embroidery and not a tapestry

It's ours, completed by Kentish women in Canterbury and should remain in this country. When they ask for it back, tell them to get stuffed.

Completely different scenario to the Elgin Marbles :wink:

yes it's an embroidery but called a tapestry for some reason. Perhaps we should give them back Cleopatra's Needle in exchange?

• Options

who would go and see it?

where should it be on display - Battle (logical and my choice), Hastings(why?), Canterbury (just because it was made there?) or somewhere else?

Living locally, in fact our house is a stone's throw from where William planted his 'standard' before the battle, I think it should be displayed in Battle Abbey. Would give a massive boost to the town.

It's 70 meters long....Bottle Alley would do the job LOL......seriously though agree with you. I have seen it in Bayeux, definitely go and see it wherever it gets displayed.
  • Options

iainment said:

but why does everything always have to be in London though and why when the tapestry has no association with London?

Battle would be good but the transport links, parking etc are not so good.
  • Options
    Anyway, we don't need the original here, we have our own Victorian Copy in Reading Museum and it's a lot better than the original.

Bloody Macron trying to butter up the proletariat before he stuffs at the Brexit negotiations.

http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/your-visit/permanent-galleries/bayeux-gallery
  • Options
    Should be Battle Abbey
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Anyway, we don't need the original here, we have our own Victorian Copy in Reading Museum and it's a lot better than the original.

Bloody Macron trying to butter up the proletariat before he stuffs at the Brexit negotiations.

http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/your-visit/permanent-galleries/bayeux-gallery

Nah....the originals still the greatest.
  • Options

iainment said:

Because that's where the money is.

More visitors = more ££££££s.

• Options
    It’s a nice gesture by Macron but there is a high risk of damaging the tapestry on transit. I say leave it in situ. But if it does come to the UK it would be nice for it to be shown in Battle/Hastings and good for local business too but its likely venue would be BM due to expertise are and the right facilities to display the tapestry (and I’m a member of the BM).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

iainment said:

Because that's where the money is.

More visitors = more ££££££s.

And that's what it's all about.....sad.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Should be Battle Abbey

Is that a ruin? This item is very old and very fragile. Things like light exposure, air humidity and temperature control are vitally important. (Not to mention protection from various fruit-loops and terrorists.) I suspect that the British Museum is one of the few places that can look after such a large item properly without having to spend a vast sum of money on the necessary infrastructure.
  • Options
    A facsimile of the tapestry has been available to view here in England at various locations over the years, I certainly visited one in a big old London museum, with my primary school when I was about 10.
    Visited the original in Normandy on holiday in the 80's, mostly to get away from all the fat yanks trooping round chalking off the beaches from which their heroic ancestors defeated the nazis in '44 without any help from anybody else... but I digress.
    If it appears it will be well worth viewing.
    It is by no means a done deal. This is 900+ years old textiles. They're gonna test it to see if it's even feasible to move it.
    Add to that, this is a thing that requires negotiating with the French. The lesser reported 11th commandment, fetched down that hill by that prophet chap on those tablets of stone, translates from the ancient Aramaic essentially as: "if there is to be a broad confederation of nations in a continent called Europe, thou shalt not include the French, for they will by nature be proud, chauvinistic, difficult buggers, ill disposed to discourse or compromise (unless the neighbours get stroppy and favour tree-lined city roads to shade their invading armies) and don't say I didn't warn you."
    Tout a l'heure.
  • Options

..... thou shalt not include the French, for they will by nature be proud, chauvinistic, difficult buggers, ill disposed to discourse or compromise ......

Funnily enough, that's exactly what the French think of us Brits.

• Options
    The Bayeaux Tapestry was made in England - believed to be in Canterbury. On that basis, why have the Frogs got it? Shouldn't we be lending it to them? Something else to add to the Brexit negotiation list.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

A facsimile of the tapestry has been available to view here in England at various locations over the years, I certainly visited one in a big old London museum, with my primary school when I was about 10

I’m glad you said that. I had a recollection yesterday of seeing it when I was young with my primary school.

Having read that it had not left France for donkey’s Years I had thought that I was making it up until you posted.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Seen it a couple of times. It's an embroidery and not a tapestry

It's ours, completed by Kentish women in Canterbury and should remain in this country. When they ask for it back, tell them to get stuffed.

Completely different scenario to the Elgin Marbles :wink:

Well I think Normandy should still be ours
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

stonemuse said:

Should be Battle Abbey

Is that a ruin? This item is very old and very fragile. Things like light exposure, air humidity and temperature control are vitally important. (Not to mention protection from various fruit-loops and terrorists.) I suspect that the British Museum is one of the few places that can look after such a large item properly without having to spend a vast sum of money on the necessary infrastructure.
    No definitely not. I agree that at present the Abbey may not have the correct facilities to show it but it won't be on show until 2022 so I'm sure a suitable facility could be built by then.

• Options
    We made a version at our school (admittedly not the whole thing). That got partially destroyed when I pushed Neal Key in year 13, he tripped and grabbed an end of it. We all watched in horror and it ping ping pinged around the walls, scattering staples everywhere
  • Options
    I've heard that Chelsea are looking to replace him with Peter Crouch.