Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Walsall | Sat 20 Jan | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Walsall
Saturday 20th January 2017 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Scott Oldham (Lancashire)

Introduction

Two unconvincing wins in the last two games would make you think that the blip of December would be over, yet it may not be as straight forward as that… Mark Marshall opened his account with his first goal for the club as the Addicks recorded a 1-0 victory over struggling Bury last Saturday, and so bounce back into Play-Off contention. This Saturday we welcome Walsall to the Valley, with key players either sold or injured it remains to be seen whether Karl Robinson and his tiring side can maintain any form of fitness into late May!!

The Opposition
Name: Walsall | Manager: Jon Whitney
Ground: Bescot Stadium

When you spend time in League One then it’s pretty certain that you’ll end up facing Oldham and / or Walsall – Both sides are recent visitors to the Valley and both sides are extremely familiar when it comes to this level of English Football… For the Saddlers it’s been ten continuous years in the third tier, and apart from a brief push for promotion two years ago, will be one of those sides that you expect to see around mid-table.

And that’s where they remain this season at present… Football outside the Premier League is always a tight affair and League One is no different – Currently occupying 15th a win for the visitors this Saturday could see Walsall moving up four places, whilst defeat could see them just a point above the relegation zone… Tight margins indeed!!

It seems to be though, every preview I’ll mention to Erhun Oztumer as the main threat yet for this match I originally planned to avoid his name… The fact that Tom Bradshaw two years ago scored 17-goals to top the charts, whilst Erhun currently sits on 11-goals, proves what a danger the small midfielder is – No doubt Liam Kinsella (son of Mark) will be hoping to top off a fine week after securing a new 18-month deal at the club.

Charlton Team News
With Ricky Holmes departing the club it now remains to be seen who’ll pick up the reigns and lead Charlton to victory each week… Despite not being in form over the last few months, Ricky was one of the key players within the squad. His ability to score from nothing will be surely missed within the squad.

In addition his departure was met with the frustrating news that no players would be signed with the transfer money obtained from the Holmes sale, yet despite that it seems as though Sullay Kaikai will join on loan, making the short trip round the M25 from Surrey; Kaikai has experience at this level having spent time with Shrewsbury Town in 2015 and 2016. Should Kaikai sign its likely that he wont arrive in time for tomorrows match yet we should have the added boost of Chris Solly and Tariqe Fosu returning from injury… the latter (still our top scorer) has proven to be a big miss, despite his low key arrival from Reading in the summer

Amos
Solly | Konsa | Lennon | Dasilva
Kashi | Aribo
Fosu | Reeves | Marshall
Magennis

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Jackson | Dijksteel | Lapslie | Mavididi | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Each home game I’ve gone to the Valley not sure which Charlton team will turn up… Its made predicting results extremely difficult and it feels more so at the moment – At present we seem to be grinding out results yet with Walsall in a massive mid-table fight, we cant expect them to turn up and roll over. With Bradford City at Bristol Rovers, this is a chance to start putting pressure back on our Play-Off rivals!!

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Redrobo said:

I think Fosu will start on the bench, Mav to replace him in starting 11

Yeah originally I went with Mavididi up top and Magennis on the bench but would be shocked if Robinson finally drops him... Reckon your right with Mavididi starting ahead of Fosu yet we do have a habit of throwing players straight back into the starting line-up after injury
  • Options
    1-1
  • Options
    Having decided I wasn’t going anymore this season I’ve buckled at the first hurdle and I’m going to the Walsall game.
    I have a good feeling that we will win this comfortably.
    3-1
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Yeah originally I went with Mavididi up top and Magennis on the bench but would be shocked if Robinson finally drops him... Reckon your right with Mavididi starting ahead of Fosu yet we do have a habit of throwing players straight back into the starting line-up after injury
    I think he felt he had to the risk, tomorrow he does not. He maybe tempted to stick with a winning team that played so well last week and leave Solly on the bench as well.

With players returning to fitness and hopefully the new lad from Palace coming in things are starting to look a lot better.
  • Options
    Was with a couple of Dulwich fans last night and they were confident Oztumer would score a hat-trick. So if that's true, we're going to need to score 4 to win....

No idea what we will be like.
  • Options
    3-1 was what I put in the predictions thread, i'll put 0-1 L on here, which should mean 2-2.
  • Options
    3-0 to the mighty Addicks...with a sublime goal from DaSilva the talk of day...
  • Options
    2-1.
  • Options
    Do we have news on when Sarr will be back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 Charlton (Madividi & Fosu to mark his return)
  • Options
    My $.02 for whatever it's worth

Amos
    Solly Konsa Lennon DaSilva
    .......Aribo....Kashi
    Marshall...Reeves.....Mavididi
    ..............Magennis

Subs: Phillips, Dijksteel, Jackson, Lapslie, Forster-Caskey, Fosu, Hackett-Fairchild,
  • Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    0-5 with the Chinese consortium heading for Heathrow at half time.
  • Options
    big mag needs to end his drought
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Do we have news on when Sarr will be back?

whenever it is it will be too soon
  • Options
    Finally it all clicks. Comfortable home win 3-0.
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton.
  • Options

Charlton Athletic v Walsall

The Opposition
    Name: Walsall | Manager: Jon Whitney
    Ground: Bescot Stadium

Banks's Stadium
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018
    anyone know if you buy and u18s ticket you scan just scan it and walk through, might pop down to bid roland a farewell
  • Options
    1 - 0 to us, Mavididi with a 1st half strike, we huff and puff but can't get a 2nd.
  • Options
    7-0 post Holmes rejuvenation........

yeh, right.

a scrappy 1-1.
  • Options
    3.1 Charlton mavadidi hatrick.
    Last home game with the Belgium madman in charge.

Hopefully
    COYR
  • Options
    It’s Charlton so there’s no way we’ll win 3 on the bounce. 1-2.
  • Options
    Hard fought home win. 2-1.
  • Options
    Point of order. Last week was Marshall’s first league goal. He scored in the FA Cup.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

You do wonder what will have to happen for Magennis to be dropped
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Redrobo said:

You do wonder what will have to happen for Magennis to be dropped
    When he gets a hat-trick...