Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Injury news: Charlton Athletic team skipper set for return against Walsall

edited January 2018 in General Charlton
Chris Solly is back in contention for a place in Charlton Athletic's team this weekend.

The right back has overcome his calf injury and will return - but Patrick Bauer remains out with an ankle problem and there is a doubt about Jake Forster-Caskey.

Boss Karl Robinson conceded that Forster-Caskey disregarded personal fitness by insisting on going on in the 1-0 win against Bury last weekend (January 13).

"He said to me 'gaffer we need to win this game and I don't care if I get injured' and that shows how much he cares about the club," revealed Robinson.

"He shouldn't have been anywhere near that pitch and him and Solls put their bodies stupidly at risk at the weekend but we all rallied around and if that what it takes to play for this football club then we're willing to do it."

Comments

• ross1 said:

Chris Solly is back in contention for a place in Charlton Athletic's team this weekend.

The right back has overcome his calf injury and will return - but Patrick Bauer remains out with an ankle problem and there is a doubt about Jake Forster-Caskey.

Boss Karl Robinson conceded that Forster-Caskey disregarded personal fitness by insisting on going on in the 1-0 win against Bury last weekend (January 13).

"He said to me 'gaffer we need to win this game and I don't care if I get injured' and that shows how much he cares about the club," revealed Robinson.

"He shouldn't have been anywhere near that pitch and him and Solls put their bodies stupidly at risk at the weekend but we all rallied around and if that what it takes to play for this football club then we're willing to do it."

What's the f**king point of having a manager or anybody in charge of the players ??? Novak says on deadline day that he wants to leave - ok, son that's fine, don't worry that we don't have a replacement, we'll run the rest of the season with just 2 strikers. JFC says he wants to play even though he's not fit - no problem, get your boots on, play for 10 mins & then miss the next 5 games.

Jesus fecking Christ. What a shambles.
    Couldn't have put it better myself! Or half as well if I'm honest.

• In one way I admire JFC's sentiment, "'gaffer we need to win this game" ........ but, "I don't care if I get injured' sounds a bit reckless to me.

JFC has already tried to come back too soon (home to Gillingham) and needed to be subbed at halftime.
    One aborted comeback should have rung warning bells to him - and especially the manager and medical staff.

So last week JFC comes on for 5 minutes when he clearly wasn't ready and "now there is a doubt" whether he will be fit to face Walsall.
    What on earth did the Medical Dept at Sparrows Lane have to say? If a young player can't be sensible, you'd expect his manager to make a responsible decision.

• Of course no matter what he says some fans are going to pick it apart and ultimately not be happy with it.

It's not so much I want to pick it apart ..... but this season we've had far, far too many injuries.
    And players coming back and then quickly picking up another serious injury.

Clarke and Best out for the season, for example.
    Who's next?

• I'm not a Robinson apologist at all, but I wouldn't blame the injury issues on him. It seems to have been an endemic issue since RD took over and is probably due to lack of, and frankly often poor, recruitment.

Also you have to remember being in league one we are often going to pick up players who may be talented but often have underlying issues such as injuries or inconsistent performances.
  • edited January 2018

I'm not a Robinson apologist at all, but I wouldn't blame the injury issues on him. It seems to have been an endemic issue since RD took over and is probably due to lack of, and frankly often poor, recruitment.

Also you have to remember being in league one we are often going to pick up players who may be talented but often have underlying issues such as injuries or inconsistent performances.

A very good point. JFC did have injury problems before joining us. Ditto Reeves, obviously.
    Oggy Red said:

Of course no matter what he says some fans are going to pick it apart and ultimately not be happy with it.

It's not so much I want to pick it apart ..... but this season we've had far, far too many injuries.
    And players coming back and then quickly picking up another serious injury.

Clarke and Best out for the season, for example.
    Who's next?

When you see that Clarke injury, it's pretty freakish in that his studs get caught in the turf and his leg just crumbles. Could it be that he was favoring something, or that there was a biomechanical disruption due to recovering from injury? Yes, certainly possible. But it's also one that could have absolutely nothing to do with previous injuries and was just a freak thing.

We have obviously had a lot of injuries, and high rate of players coming back and getting hurt again. It's that second one that I would be looking at and wondering what's happening? Are we rushing players back? Are we not correctly preparing them and strengthening them?

All that said, you can do everything right and sometimes you can get unlucky. I think it's really, really difficult for us to assess these things from the outside.

Regarding JFC, agree that it's Karl's job as manager to manager players and not let them hurt themselves. That said, did give minutes of running around a bit impact him that greatly? I don't know. Could going through a full warm up and all that be a greater impact? Possibly. I also don't trust Robinson's injury assessments before matches, he's often misleading.
  • Last Thursday Robinson stated we only had 16 fit players. After the Bury game he then stated we only had 12 fit players. Did 4 get injured on Thursday and Friday then, or was he being misleading?
  • Call me old fashioned, but that’s just the sort of spirit I wanna see from a player, take a bow JFC.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018
    Sounds like Robinson embellishing a story to make JFC sound like a hero IMO. Not sure why he wouldn't think that putting this story out there makes it sound like he's risking the health of his squad.
  • I'm not a Robinson apologist at all, but I wouldn't blame the injury issues on him. It seems to have been an endemic issue since RD took over and is probably due to lack of, and frankly often poor, recruitment.

He also had an injury crisis with us last season and a number of others previously at MK FC.
  • Things are bad. Sack the manager.
  • Surprised that you lot can’t spot a bit of extra bullshit to make a point.
  • Oggy Red said:

In one way I admire JFC's sentiment, "'gaffer we need to win this game" ........ but, "I don't care if I get injured' sounds a bit reckless to me.

JFC has already tried to come back too soon (home to Gillingham) and needed to be subbed at halftime.
    One aborted comeback should have rung warning bells to him - and especially the manager and medical staff.

So last week JFC comes on for 5 minutes when he clearly wasn't ready and "now there is a doubt" whether he will be fit to face Walsall.
    What on earth did the Medical Dept at Sparrows Lane have to say? If a young player can't be sensible, you'd expect his manager to make a responsible decision.

It's probably more a case of, it's worth the risk if we manage 3 points and the blokes out there are knackered...
  • karl r - to me he seems like the type whos trying to be a friend, it happens a lot with younger managers hes only a few years older then some of our players, hes 37 although he must of had the same paper round as charlie adams. of course its fine being that sort of manager when things are going well.
  • Sounds like Robinson embellishing a story to make JFC sound like a hero IMO. Not sure why he wouldn't think that putting this story out there makes it sound like he's risking the health of his squad.

Roly will be sitting there in his shed...thinking,that's another couple of quid I could claw back then,il get Murray onto it right away...Sell,Sell,Sell...!!!

Just sell the club you decrepit old fuck...
  • Sponsored links:

• Knowing the way he operates, he probably is making an indirect statement to Roland Rat saying “look what we’re dealing with”. I wouldn’t think at this point he has much of a relationship with the Owner but he continues to stick the knife in. Nothing bad with that. F@@k Roland.
  • It is stupid by any means. We had JJ on the bench who could have come on and done exactly the same thing.
  • redman said:

It is stupid by any means. We had JJ on the bench who could have come on and done exactly the same thing.

Jackson came on two mins later (in the 91st min)... Why he didnt come on before JFC and play longer though!!
  • redman said:

It is stupid by any means. We had JJ on the bench who could have come on and done exactly the same thing.

Jackson came on two mins later (in the 91st min)... Why he didnt come on before JFC and play longer though!!
    Jacko was reported as having a tight hamstring after playing for 90 mins in the Checkershirt match a few days earlier.
    Robbo also said he had barely 10 minutes in him, or words to that effect.

• ross1 said:

Mikhail Kennedy‏Verified account
    @MikhailKennedy
    Follow Follow @MikhailKennedy
    More
    First run today in nearly 6 months

Going on our previous with rushing injured players back, I expect to see him named as the lone striker this coming Saturday.
  • ross1 said:

@MikhailKennedy
    More

Going to be difficult for him kicking a football strapped to that...
  • ross1 said:

@MikhailKennedy
    More

Going to be difficult for him kicking a football strapped to that...
    Yeah but difficult to mark him as well.