Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Attn Bikers; Motorcycle thefts seem to be getting more local.

2»

Comments

• I can't say I have any sympathy with the scrotes taking a fall but it seems a dangerous game Old Bill are playing. I know of one case where a guy was rammed by a copper who thought he'd nicked the bike he was riding. Turned out it was his own bike.
  • iainment said:

I can't believe that is legal. Obviously they need to be caught but crashing into them seems disproportionate to me.
    Are you kidding?
  • I can't say I have any sympathy with the scrotes taking a fall but it seems a dangerous game Old Bill are playing. I know of one case where a guy was rammed by a copper who thought he'd nicked the bike he was riding. Turned out it was his own bike.
    Presumably, the OB had signaled to stop in someway, if not poor form from them.
    Maybe, but then why didn't he stop for the blue lights?

If you think they give no warning first you're hugely mistaken.
  • Dazzler21 said:

iainment said:

I can't believe that is legal. Obviously they need to be caught but crashing into them seems disproportionate to me.
    Are you kidding?
    I can’t believe that someone would think it’s disproportionate
    When caught these bastards should have their thieving hands cut off!
    If one of them pegs out, good!
  • Carter said:

T_C_E said:

Two Herbert's down here wandering around dressed as ob knocking on the doors of the elderly. I left the courtesy lights on for them, we can't wait.
    *imagine dog photo* :)

Please rig up some CCTV I know Bailey has a human kill & eat in him and I want to witness it
    We have cctv, I'm thinking of taking it down as it seems to be a bit of a deterrent! ;)
  • First thing on the news lately that's raised a smile. Well done whoever has authorised this.
  • So a policeman using this method in Erith recently is now under criminal investigation.
    With the real possibility he'll be prosecuted and/or disciplined by the Met.
    What I feared from using, in my opinion anyway, disproportionate tactics.
  • On a point of order the people at the time they are knocked off are suspects not convicted criminals.
  • iainment said:

So a policeman using this method in Erith recently is now under criminal investigation.

On the upside, the teenager was charged and later appeared at a youth court where he pleaded guilty to attempted theft, interference with a vehicle, driving with no licence, driving with no insurance, and dangerous driving.

Oh and he sufffered fractures and head injuries. Never mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSS said:

iainment said:

So a policeman using this method in Erith recently is now under criminal investigation.

On the upside, the teenager was charged and later appeared at a youth court where he pleaded guilty to attempted theft, interference with a vehicle, driving with no licence, driving with no insurance, and dangerous driving.

I never thought those rammed by the police in this way are all angels and upright citizens. Just that it is an incredibly dangerous tactic which inevitably leads to legal challenge.
  • They could get injured and end their promising football careers.
  • My neighbour has had two motorcycles stolen in a two week period. First from Sainsburys car park and second yesterday when the garage door was removed from its hinges. Obviously in the Shooters Hill area.
  • As great as those videos are I'll be surprised if they police will still be authorised to do that this time next year.
  • iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

I never thought those rammed by the police in this way are all angels and upright citizens. Just that it is an incredibly dangerous tactic which inevitably leads to legal challenge.
    Interested in your thoughts @iainment. God forbid one of your loved ones is robbed and harmed and the robber is escaping using footpaths and shopping areas to escape putting members of the public at risk and the police take an opportunity to stop and catch them using their car to and he suffers a broken leg. The member of your family also has a broken leg in the fall after being robbed. Were the Police, right or wrong?
    Based on your theory, any deterrent is open to legal action. dogs, baton, gas, guns, etc.
  • T_C_E said:

iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

Interested in your thoughts @iainment. God forbid one of your loved ones is robbed and harmed and the robber is escaping using footpaths and shopping areas to escape putting members of the public at risk and the police take an opportunity to stop and catch them using their car to and he suffers a broken leg. The member of your family also has a broken leg in the fall after being robbed. Were the Police, right or wrong?
    Based on your theory, any deterrent is open to legal action. dogs, baton, gas, guns, etc.
    It's about proportionality and following established legal principles.
    Also using personal scenarios doesn't really help. Of course if someone close to me is a victim my feelings would be stronger but following that as a legal response could lead to vigilantism.
    The underlying problem is that the police have lost and continue to lose staff and resources. So criminals believe they won't ever be caught. PR responses like ramming scooters is great until the day a copper ends up in Court charged with offences from that.
    More coppers, better resourced SNTs and more intelligence led policing would have stopped this becoming a "thing" for young lads.
  • iainment said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

Seems proportionate to me. And I assume the 'legal principal' is catching the suspect, so there's that problem solved.

Love to see these police prosecutions go to jury trial. Can't imagine many foremen coming back with 'Guilty' for the Officer concerned.
  • Addickted said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

Seems proportionate to me. And I assume the 'legal principal' is catching the suspect, so there's that problem solved.

Love to see these police prosecutions go to jury trial. Can't imagine many foremen coming back with 'Guilty' for the Officer concerned.
    Maybe not but the Met internal processes could also lead to sanctions.

By the way I've been in several juries and on all I was struck by how diligently they considered verdicts. By using the law not prejudice.
  • Of course, you're right.

BTW - very jealous. Never been called and it's one of my 'bucket list'.
  • Addickted said:

Of course, you're right.

BTW - very jealous. Never been called and it's one of my 'bucket list'.

It can be very boring but I'm glad to have done it. And you might be surprised to hear I voted guilty more than once!
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

Also using personal scenarios doesn't really help. Of course if someone close to me is a victim my feelings would be stronger but following that as a legal response could lead to vigilantism.
    The underlying problem is that the police have lost and continue to lose staff and resources. So criminals believe they won't ever be caught. PR responses like ramming scooters is great until the day a copper ends up in Court charged with offences from that.
    More coppers, better resourced SNTs and more intelligence led policing would have stopped this becoming a "thing" for young lads.
    So a toe rag can use a faster method of escaping the scene, but the authorities can't use a faster more powerful method of ending their potential escape. So what is next, removing the teeth from the dogs so they are merely restrained rather than get bitten?
  • T_C_E said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

So a toe rag can use a faster method of escaping the scene, but the authorities can't use a faster more powerful method of ending their potential escape. So what is next, removing the teeth from the dogs so they are merely restrained rather than get bitten?
    If that's what the law expects yes. If it's just a knee jerk reaction to a current problem no.
    Addickted said:

iainment said:

T_C_E said:

iainment said:

WSS said:

iainment said:

It would be interesting to see if victims of scooter and motorbike thefts turn up in the vacinity of the Court to have a word with the chap bringing the complaint/case for being knocked off a bike he had just stolen
  • A word of warning to bikers. Don't think that having a screamer fitted gives you much protection. A bike got nicked outside our work the other day. Security caught it all on camera but it was so quick there was nothing they could do to stop it. Total time between the thief appearing, smashing the screamer off with a hammer and riding away was 35 seconds. I've no idea how they got around the steering lock, but they obviously knew what they were doing. 
  • Stig said:
    A word of warning to bikers. Don't think that having a screamer fitted gives you much protection. A bike got nicked outside our work the other day. Security caught it all on camera but it was so quick there was nothing they could do to stop it. Total time between the thief appearing, smashing the screamer off with a hammer and riding away was 35 seconds. I've no idea how they got around the steering lock, but they obviously knew what they were doing. 
    One of lads at work had his nicked from outside work. It was caught on cctv. The robber just sat on the bike and kicked the handle bars a couple of times, this breaking the steering lock.
  • Stig said:
    A word of warning to bikers. Don't think that having a screamer fitted gives you much protection. A bike got nicked outside our work the other day. Security caught it all on camera but it was so quick there was nothing they could do to stop it. Total time between the thief appearing, smashing the screamer off with a hammer and riding away was 35 seconds. I've no idea how they got around the steering lock, but they obviously knew what they were doing. 
    One of lads at work had his nicked from outside work. It was caught on cctv. The robber just sat on the bike and kicked the handle bars a couple of times, this breaking the steering lock.
    That's bad. Sounds different to the one at our place though as they rode off on it. Guessing they must have some sort of key. Don't know though.