Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell to Southend? (Confirmed P4)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Phil Brown's real job revealed

https://pasteboard.co/H3EMukp.png
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Good luck to Powell if he does join Southend, he is a thoroughly decent guy.

I wouldn't ever want him back at Charlton as manager, too much sentimentality from a section of our fanbase which obscured objective scrutiny of his true ability as a manager.

101 points and a league title in his first full season, with a brand new squad which was full of talent and great personalities (thanks to his recruitment), but we had no right to expect them to be so good. The bookies rarely get it wrong, but they had us 14/1 for the title, miles behind the 2 Sheffield clubs and Huddersfield, and that division was far stronger across the board than the piss poor league that we've made such hard work of this year and last year. That was with the 5th highest budget in the league, so he over-achieved by four places plus whatever you want to add on for a record breaking points tally. We handed out a few thrashings in the first half of the season, ended Huddersfield's eternal unbeaten run, beat the Sheffield clubs on back-to-back weekends and then continued to grind out wins when everyone started parking the bus. What part of that is sentimentality? That was an incredible season.

The 2 seasons in the Championship, what is the realistic expectation when your major investor has pulled out and you're teetering on the brink of administration?

The football was, at times, not particularly entertaining in the those two seasons. You have a choice between being someone like Yeovil and Peterborough were in the Championship at that time, where everyone patronises you for sticking to your footballing philosophy and playing an entertaining game but getting beaten every week and ultimately relegated, or you can recognise that you don't have the players for it, and that you can't score goals because you don't have enough creativity and neither Sordell nor Church are good enough to fire you out of trouble, and make clean sheets a priority. Not pretty, but you don't get relegated.

He had two full seasons in charge and we finished higher than our budget entitled us to finish in both seasons. I can't believe it's necessary to defend him.

Like Oooaah said, weirdos.
    Great Post. Says it all perfectly.
  • Options

The promotion season was great to watch as was the second half of the 9th finish season.

And he achieved 9th in the Championship with a wage budget of only £8.5M.

Our wage budget in League One in 2015/16 was £12.1M.
    I hope you’ve got these numbers right!
    I actually researched them in the club annuals, themselves this time!
  • Options
    Croydon said:

I'll never forget the 6-0 at Oakwell. At the final whistle, Powell and the players came over to applaud the 600 or so of us there, and there was real feeling of 'togetherness'.

I know the great result would have had some affect, but that was a group of players who genuinely cared, and us fans had a genuine connection with them.

Watching that squad, and the general feeling around it, made every day at the football a fucking good day out. We've had nothing like that since the Belgians took over.

100%

I was at that game, by the end we were almost queuing up for a strike, we could have had a couple more.

I was on a high coming out of the ground knowing that we had made history with the scoreline.
  • Options

Croydon said:

I'll never forget the 6-0 at Oakwell. At the final whistle, Powell and the players came over to applaud the 600 or so of us there, and there was real feeling of 'togetherness'.

I know the great result would have had some affect, but that was a group of players who genuinely cared, and us fans had a genuine connection with them.

Watching that squad, and the general feeling around it, made every day at the football a fucking good day out. We've had nothing like that since the Belgians took over.

100%

I was at that game, by the end we were almost queuing up for a strike, we could have had a couple more.

I was on a high coming out of the ground knowing that we had made history with the scoreline.
    Pert or saggy
  • Options

Croydon said:

100%

Pert or saggy
    At the moment pert as I have lost a bit of weight from my holiday in Brasil.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Fantastic news for SCP, I had hoped we'd see him back as our manager one day but none the less I'm glad he's back in management, he deserves it an I think he'll do Ok there, he's almost as much as a legend there as here.
  • Options
    He will do we there...
  • Options
    So when are southend going to out-wit our paper thin squad this season?

Or have they already done that twice,

Kidding, with 3 straight wins I guess things are not that bad at present....football wise.
  • Options
    Good luck to him. Hope he does well.
  • Options
    Good luck Chris

He will get a lot of time to turn things round there, they love him as much as we do
  • Options
    Good luck Chris!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    when scp took us up they were happy days if he had of come back and didnt do that well i wouldnt want to see him sacked, some things are best left as memories cheers for the glory days chris and hope you push on with your career and maybe see you back 1 day.
  • Options
    Good luck Chrissy boy.
  • Options
    Hero - good luck SCP.
  • Options
    Good luck Chris, I hope you do well there

While I'll be the first to applaud him when he returns to The Valley, at this moment I have no desire to replace Robinson with Powell. I think he's got us on the right path, and with funding and proper owners, I can see us progressing under him
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

So when are southend going to out-wit our paper thin squad this season?

Or have they already done that twice,

Kidding, with 3 straight wins I guess things are not that bad at present....football wise.

Played twice already(thankfully)
    Obviously lost 3-1 Boxing Day
    We beat them 2-1 at home in September
  • Options
    With the most recent revelations as to exactly what SCP was dealing with as Charlton manager and for how long, I'm now undecided as to how good a manager he is, certainly at Championship level.
    His appointment by the spivs was a great bit of PR but a massive risk, based on his absence of experience.
    Parky's sacking by the spivs was callous and cavalier.
    He had to make do with the squad he inherited, plus BWP, for 2011 but Charlton finished lower than when Parky was sacked.
    He benefited enormously from the thoroughness of the planning that went into the recruitment of the 2011/12 squad. How that was achieved principally on the proceeds of Carl Jenkinson's move to Arsenal, even SCP doesn't know. It was certainly one of the best few squads in the division but he and his team still had to make it work, the end result is undeniable. Complaints about the style of play in 2011/12 only come from mugWUMps and those of negligible attention span, who don't grasp that winning is the point.
    While his team was spluttering into life in the Championship, entertainment at The Valley was indeed in much shorter supply. At the time, based on what we saw, week in, week out, I held SCP as at least partially responsible. Tactics were pragmatic, adventure and craft evaporated. Knowing what we know now about there being no money at all for transfers, refreshment of contracts, seeding the pitch even, casts the achievement of that season in an entirely new light. And certainly highlights SCP's own class, dignity and forbearance. Qualities sorely tested by his next owner and ceo.
    Things didn't work out for him at Huddersfield but we don't know any of the detail of that story, but his relative inexperience won't have helped.
    He'll start off with much goodwill at Southend for sure and the owner there hasn't been one to hire and fire on a whim.
    Good luck to SCP, we'll know better in a year or 2 how good a manager he might be.
    Would I advocate bringing him back to The Valley in the near future? If he were available and was lilely to be supported in his endeavour, maybe. But that's now moot. He has a new job and the quality of the man makes it very unlikely he'd dump that to rejoin us. Do I think he's better than gobby? SCP's a deeper thinker and certainly more flexible, with his tactics and selections.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:

We had a perfect mix in the title winning season. Players with flair, but players who knew when to play football and when to go head to head in a physical battle. We played some great stuff, but also battered some teams into submission as someone mentioned earlier

Solid defensively and could keep the ball all day if we wanted to and just waited for the right moments to strike.
  • Options

Good luck Chris
    Clever thinking keep your eye in for when you return to manage Charlton

That was exactly what I thought as soon as I heard the news. It's best to keep upto date etc which is easier to do on the inside. It keeps all his contacts fresh too

Good luck SCP