Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Powell to Southend? (Confirmed P4)

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2018

Without getting the wrath of Ooaah, am i the only one who thought that our football during the Powell reign was boring as shit ? - whilst i cant 'defend' against the 100+ points season, it was a turgid,painful season once Hayes was sent packing and Kermy was brought in.
    And the 9th in Champs was also a bit misleading, because i remember being worried about possible relegation up until about 2/3 weeks before the end of the season - with not many points between 9th and about 15th in the end.
    Not decrying Powell's achievement, but i dont think, imo, thats he's as great a coach as that season makes out.

No you're not. I wouldn't put it quite as strongly as you, but we were certainly not particularly great to watch in our footballing style - even during that title winning year, I did find us very one paced going forward sometimes. That was more than made up for, though, but actually winning some games.
  • Options
    I had a look at the table when we came 9th and there was 7 points between 9th and 19th.
  • Options
    Thank you Hoof it and Exiled, so you dont require the 'fucking unbelievable' button then !
  • Options

Thank you Hoof it and Exiled, so you dont require the 'fucking unbelievable' button then !

I'd have him back in a heart beat though.
  • Options
    Was hoping we’d have him back after the takeover
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to almost games under Powell and always felt his teams played efficient football, nothing ever too exciting or spectacular.

It wasn’t great to watch but we won a majority of our games in the L1 season so the style was often overlooked.

Organisation over flair or attacking football.
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Kap10 said:

Let him build his own squad and CP brings success, I know for some so called purists his football was not attractive enough for them but I enjoyed all the winning personally.

I will never understand Charlton fans who don't get why CP is so special, I have great respect for him as a Player, great respect for him as a Manager & great respect for him as a Person.

I hope one day he returns to complete what he started years ago before the spivs & an insane Belgian destroyed all his hard work in making us proud of our club again, that pride feels such a distant memory.

But will he have the opportunity to build his own squad? When he came in to us with someonelses squad, despite adding BWP and 6 other players, we dropped from 5th to 15th. His ability to rebuild was based on Jimminez and Slater keeping him at the end of that season, something which was not guaranteed and there was apparently a suggestion that he was not "the man" and the Jenkinson money.

However good or bad Powell is and that can be debated over and over, management is often about luck. Would the Div 1 team have been able to cope with the injuries we have had this season? We were fortunate with injuries.

I would not want him back here as I do not think he would repeat his heroics of the past and that would cloud his legacy and I can't recall the return of a managerial hero ever working out .. two examples being on merseyside Howard Kendall at Everton and the great Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool.

I wish Powell all the very best if he is confirmed at Southend but fear he is now simply on the lower division merry go round and will have a 6 to 18 month tenure.

Eddie Howe for starters without having to think too much about it..
    Good call, is he the exception to the rule or do you have others.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Kap10 said:

Oakster said:

Kap10 said:

Let him build his own squad and CP brings success, I know for some so called purists his football was not attractive enough for them but I enjoyed all the winning personally.

I will never understand Charlton fans who don't get why CP is so special, I have great respect for him as a Player, great respect for him as a Manager & great respect for him as a Person.

I hope one day he returns to complete what he started years ago before the spivs & an insane Belgian destroyed all his hard work in making us proud of our club again, that pride feels such a distant memory.

But will he have the opportunity to build his own squad? When he came in to us with someonelses squad, despite adding BWP and 6 other players, we dropped from 5th to 15th. His ability to rebuild was based on Jimminez and Slater keeping him at the end of that season, something which was not guaranteed and there was apparently a suggestion that he was not "the man" and the Jenkinson money.

However good or bad Powell is and that can be debated over and over, management is often about luck. Would the Div 1 team have been able to cope with the injuries we have had this season? We were fortunate with injuries.

I would not want him back here as I do not think he would repeat his heroics of the past and that would cloud his legacy and I can't recall the return of a managerial hero ever working out .. two examples being on merseyside Howard Kendall at Everton and the great Kenny Dalglish at Liverpool.

I wish Powell all the very best if he is confirmed at Southend but fear he is now simply on the lower division merry go round and will have a 6 to 18 month tenure.

Eddie Howe for starters without having to think too much about it..
    Good call, is he the exception to the rule or do you have others.
    Well two more contemporary ones are Stuart McCall doing pretty well at Bradford - certainly they are above us and John Coleman at Accrington Stanley,

I am not sure how common it is for managers to return, often bridges are burnt between manager and former employers. Anyway I wouldnt want Powell anywhere near the odious Duchatalatet regime - that’s best left to others.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'd have him back in a flash - in comparison to what we've had to endure over the past 4 years -man mnager yes, but i still believe his coaching skills weren't that great - as borne out by the football that was played - and corroborated by other posters.

I remember one particular time at THE Carlisle away game thinking to myself 'how the hell have we got to the top playing like this' and then 5 mins later BWP scuffs one in from 2 yards !
  • Options

Without getting the wrath of Ooaah, am i the only one who thought that our football during the Powell reign was boring as shit ? - whilst i cant 'defend' against the 100+ points season, it was a turgid,painful season once Hayes was sent packing and Kermy was brought in.
    And the 9th in Champs was also a bit misleading, because i remember being worried about possible relegation up until about 2/3 weeks before the end of the season - with not many points between 9th and about 15th in the end.
    Not decrying Powell's achievement, but i dont think, imo, thats he's as great a coach as that season makes out.

Nonsense.

The promotion season was great to watch as was the second half of the 9th finish season.
    Oldham away!! Still rates as one of the best for me.
  • Options
    If Powell came back with a decent right hand man and tactician the place would be jumping again. His interpersonal and man management skills are arguably second to none. Who wouldn't want to work for him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If Powell came back with a decent right hand man and tactician the place would be jumping again. His interpersonal and man management skills are arguably second to none. Who wouldn't want to work for him.

True, but he ain’t a miracle worker.

He’d need some cash to build a proper squad NOT JUST A FIRST TEAM which can prosper over a 46 game season.
  • Options
    Chris Powell is a course and Distance winner in League 1. Good appointment for the Essex Margate.
  • Options

He effectively built a squad to compete on the back of the Jenkinson money bringing up to I believe 18 players in one season.

If you really expect 18 new League 1 players, playing in an attritional division, to gel beyond the basics in one season you have a very, very high level of expectation.

In the acquisitions made by the "recruitment panel" of Powell, Chapple and Varney and in the basic style of play Powell used we played the percentages. It was solid, it was competitive, it was organised, it was professional, it was committed and provided a platform for players to perform.

Those players with the ability to do so had the opportunity to add a magic moment or two whether it was the Kermorgant & Jackson free kicks or the creative attacking play of Wiggins.

Results bring confidence bring belief and enable momentum.

It was an exceptional performance in results and points achieved. In some ways it was Curbishleyesque. AC worked on the basis of ensuring the club was around to collect the next slab of Premier League funding when the points were added up at the end of the season. It was pragmatic and enabled the club to survive at the highest level of the U.K. Game.

It is the same discipline Pulis followed at Stoke and WBA, Allardyce followed at too many clubs to mention, Dyche is following at Burnley and to a lesser degree Howe has followed at Bournemouth. Though the latter does seem to be more pleasing on the eye.

The challenge for Powell was he started with virtually a clean sheet. The advantage for Powell was he started with virtually a clean sheet. That was not the environment which he inherited at Huddersfield. There was an established squad where only minimal movement was achievable within the timeframe. If you work to rotating 6 senior players each season then you may be able to achieve what we achieved in 1 season.

The trouble is no one is given the time anymore.

In addition the challenge is to move beyond the initial base platform you have established. That requires further resource. Resource which was not available upon our return to the Championship. Powell took us to 9th in the championship with a League 1 squad of committed, organised, professional players.

It was the same squad Riga recognised could win the relegation battle in the 2nd Championship season.

The further we have moved away from that special group the poorer we have become. Individually 5 of the regular team were able to move on to play regularly at a Championship or PL level.

Would Powell have been able to take the club forward to the next level, given the appropriate resources, we simply do not know. What we do know that given his performance over the previous 2 seasons he and we were deserving of the opportunity to find out.

Enter the bizarre and frankly ignorant analysis of the Duchatelet regime and the rest is history.

The first sign of trouble for me was the then puzzling decline by the then Standard Liege Sporting Director De Sart of a position as the Network Sporting Director. After months of delay he simply refused to sign a new contract and walked away. He argued he just did not have the experience or knowledge of British football industry to do the job properly.

Clearly others within "The Network" felt they knew better!

Whether Powell will ever be given the same opportunity, or time and resources to build the squad he wants to build is unknown. With the demands of the industry today he is not alone.

Was he the messiah or just a very lucky boy I guess we will never know. What many did experience in that period was the sense of unity, of common purpose
    and inclusion. Were we perfect? No very far from it. Did I disagree with any number of his decisions? Yes but at least we could all sign into the ethos and values on display.

For that we can but respect the professionalism, the integrity and the ethos of his clubhouse leadership.

I see no reason to rewrite history, nor attack the values of such a man or denigrate his subsequent performances. I remain immensely grateful for his contribution to the club and can but wish him every success in the future.

There's nothing quite like a @Grapevine49 post, top stuff !
  • Options

Daddy_Pig said:

It's a shame his career never kicked on (so far) after leaving here.

The Hudds gig seems to have defined him more than our title winning season.

His legacy with us goes far beyond his management stint - good as it was.

Do we overrate him? Is he underrated by others like Hudds? Somewhere in the middle?

Was given money here and won the league with a record number of points.

Went to huddersfield with a limited budget and had his best players sold from underneath him. New guy comes in and is given a load of money and gets them promoted.

All this big club little club stuff is a red herring. You're as big as your budget and huddersfield weren't a small budget team when they went up.

If you want to see why British managers aren't given a chance then look at Huddersfield. They had a stellar run between December and February. They kept 'blowing teams away' but finished with a negative GD. They then defended their way through the playoffs and won on penalties. Since being promoted they cant score (19 in 23) or keep hold of the ball for longer than 2 passes. But they've got Wagner in charge and he's a miracle worker who just oozes attractive football.
    You couldn't be more wrong here. Huddersfield spent next to nothing in getting promoted, had a tiny playing budget and were amongst the pre-season favourites to be struggling.

If you look at this you'll see they spent a huge 1.3m last season and made a profit the year before!

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/huddersfield-town/english-football-teams/huddersfield-town-transfers

To say Wagner was given loads of money and didn't have a small budget simply isn't true.
    I second this, im not knocking Powell but Huddersfield did not spend a huge amount to go up. I personally think they have a great manager there, that's not knocking Powell I am a huge fan and a huge defender of his (not that there should be anything to defend 101 point finish followed by a top half championship finish). This guy at Huddersfield though I think he is something special I really do