Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vic Wilson from Charlton

124»

Comments

• Options
    Brilliant thread, thank you all for your contributions.
    i must get Alfreds book.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    This whole story and the thread would make a great read/film in its own right, there are so many aspects to it.

On the views of people who were there I remember being at a dinner in the mid-80s where there were a number of guys who had served in the war and one of them introduced me to a chap who had been a prisoner of war in the Far East. A lovely chap until the Japanese were mentioned and he went into one. It shocked me at the time, given the occasion where we were, as most people i’d met up until then Including family hadn't actually spoken about any bad experiences but I think he was the first that I was ever aware of that had fought the Japanese and 40years later this guy still wasn’t about to forgive and forget.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Echo that a ex POWs of the Japanese.

My Grandfather-in-Law had his own garage in Blackheath and had served with the Chindits in Burma and the far east. He had some fascinating stories to tell and had the greatest respect of the local Burmese - particularly the women, whom he thought were the toughest in the World.

However, he hated everything Japanese - so much so, that he categorically refused to service or repair Japanese vehicles or stock Japanese spare parts, even those that were universal.

When his son took over the garage in the early 1980s he reluctantly accepted that to keep the business going, those views had to change, though he steadfastly refused to even get in a Japanese car until the day he died.

EDIT: Just a wonderful thread.
  • Options

This whole story and the thread would make a great read/film in its own right, there are so many aspects to it.

Agreed. I think the story of the escapees from Singapore who took a year to reach India by small boat, then overland would be an epic story in its own right.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    My father worked at the Bank of England and when the Crown Prince of Japan visited in 1953 any ex servicemen who had been Pows were given extended leave.
  • Options
    If anybody want to read what it was like to fight out there, then get hold of any book on the battle of Kohima, it was one of the battle that turned defeat into victory, and explain what it was like. Obviously this was a victory, but still you get feeling of the shear guts and determination that it took to fight out there, often it’s not written solely from the British side, but often contains reports from the Japanese side and explain what state they were in, and the mistakes that there general made. You might also consider that this battle was known as the battle of the tennis courts. Another battle around the same time but without some of the our local interest is the battle of Imphal. After both of these battles the advance started to drive the Japanese out of Burma, not sure how to put this so it doesn’t sound wrong, but basically my father and his comrades never took a single prisoner until the war in Burma was ended, by the two A bombs dropped, he always said that two wasn’t anywhere near enough.

When I was sitting with him I asked him why his hatred was so deep of the Japanese, he said that he seen the prisoners being realised, he seen nurses being crucified, he seen injured soldiers murdered in there beds, he seen British soldiers being used as bayonet practice. He cried when he was trying to explain this hatred, but he was proud of what did, it was barbaric, it was indescribable even so he was trying. Bit upsetting remembering his words and I haven’t done them justice.

The normal British soldier was scared of the Japanese soldier until the two battle I listed above, when the British soldier realised that the Japanese could be beaten. He Japanese eventually became scared of the British and Australian soldiers, no doubt for good reason.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    This is a remarkable thread, not just for the light cast on distant heroism brought back to our own familiar streets, but the astounding expertise in unearthing from a staggering archive and other materials these precious stories.

It is impossible to embellish such memoirs. However, concerning the Burma campaign there is a vivid fictional account which might further restore to worthy attention the imperishable deeds of the Forgotten Army. For this purpose I commend A Soldier Erect by Brian Aldiss, the second book of his Horatio Stubbs trilogy. As well as being a wonderfully gifted writer, chiefly of science fiction, Aldiss was a signaller in Burma and brings his experience of those momentous times jumping off the page. Read the Amazon reviews by all means but be assured that fiction or not this is a memorable book.
  • Options
    The photo above: the bomb blast damage to the house, with all the windows boarded up.

My mother was bombed out of her house in 1940 - she has told me the story as she remembers it. 
    Harrowing.

The war was fought not only by the military, but by ordinary men, women and children at home.
    Anyway, it's a lovely pic of Wilson with his little one.

• Options
    Hope you don't mind me butting in, but what a wonderful thread to read. Great stuff

This kind of post is a prime example of all that's great about this forum. We will always remember those who mad the supreme sacrifice during WW2 - and WW1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    The photo above: the bomb blast damage to the house, with all the windows boarded up.

My mother was bombed out of her house in 1940 - she has told me the story as she remembers it. 
    Harrowing.

The war was fought not only by the military, but by ordinary men, women and children at home.
    Anyway, it's a lovely pic of Wilson with his little one.

Yes, I wonder if this is when he’s on leave prior to embarking for the Far East, or possibly before mobilisation but with windows boarded up as part of the blackout or as a precaution. As you might guess, the little ‘un on his knee is Valerie, who looks a bit fed-up! 
  • Options
    So glad I asked the question back in Jan 18. Many thanks to all of those who have contributed to back filling his story, special thanks to @Tomhovi. What a wonderful site Charlton Life is
  • Options
    Great Thread this, very enjoyable, emotional read.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    So glad I asked the question back in Jan 18. Many thanks to all of those who have contributed to back filling his story, special thanks to @Tomhovi. What a wonderful site Charlton Life is
    It’s been a pleasure @Bigbadbozman and was happy to help. It’s what @SE7toSG3 and I are lucky enough to do for a living and as Clive eloquently said on Tuesday night, our war memorial covers everyone associated with our club, players, officials and supporters alike. Vic’s name doesn’t appear on the memorial but he is certainly remembered there. 
  • Options
    Oh my oh my, amazing stuff.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Fantastic thread from "a long shot" to contact with his descendants and a photo of Vic himself - brilliant.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if Vic's name appears on a local war memorial?  Would be fitting if he is on the one in Charlton Village.  Tried searching online but didn't get anywhere.
  • Options

Just found this on Vic:

• Options
    Does anyone know if Vic's name appears on a local war memorial?  Would be fitting if he is on the one in Charlton Village.  Tried searching online but didn't get anywhere.
    That’s a good point. In all of this discussion, I’ve not checked on the Village memorial. Unfortunately CWGC website only lists where the casualty is interred, or if no grave, then the memorial where they are remembered. I’ll check and find out. 
  • Options

Just found this on Vic:

Thanks for sharing. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Tom_Hovi said:
    That’s a good point. In all of this discussion, I’ve not checked on the Village memorial. Unfortunately CWGC website only lists where the casualty is interred, or if no grave, then the memorial where they are remembered. I’ll check and find out. 
    I've just wandered around and checked out the war memorial outside St Luke's Church and unfortunately, Vic doesn't appear on it. I suspect that this is because, by the time of his death, Vic's wife was living in Baughurst, Hampshire after having been bombed out of 60 Inverine Road (which is shown as Vic's residence on the nominal roll (attached) in Singapore at the time of his death). I don't know Baughurst at all but if there are any Addicks in that part of the world that could check out the war memorial there, maybe Vic appears on that one.

In the meantime, I'm not sure how to go about this but given the evidence I have to prove Vic's Charlton address, it may be that we can get his name added to the memorial in the Village - there are several additional plaques on the memorial where names have been added subsequently.
  • Options
    Also if anyone wants to read some excellent fascinating WW2 books I can recommend my good friend Neil Barbers books. Only downside is that he’s a Hammer.

https://pegasus-bridge.co.uk/
  • Options
    Thanks for bumping @Tom_Hovi