Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Neville England Women's new coach

Comments

• Options
    None of the shortlisted six wanted the job - one withdrew because they thought that their previous relationship with a player would be dragged up in the same way as it was with Mark Sampson.
  • Options

Am I allowed to say to my wife that I will draw her a map to the kitchen? Or is that demeaning? Or is it demeaning that I do the vast majority of the cooking?

God I'm confused about all of this.

I think it’s only demeaning if she’s also blind mate.
  • Options

Am I allowed to say to my wife that I will draw her a map to the kitchen? Or is that demeaning? Or is it demeaning that I do the vast majority of the cooking?

God I'm confused about all of this.

I think it’s only demeaning if she’s also blind mate.
    Only blindly in love with me. I can't blame her though.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I've just seen his tweets where he jokes about how he just beat his wife and how women should be in the kitchen in the morning making breakfast. Sounds like a lovely guy.

Not everything posted on social media is meant to be literal. It's called humour.

I very much doubt Neville is a wife beating misogynist.

Get some perspective people ffs. Generation anxt.
    What's funny about beating your wife?
    There is nothing funny about beating your wife but he hasn't beaten his wife. Have you never said, for example, when your wife is going to give you a soaking with a hose 'do that and I'll give you a slap'. Doesn't mean you will and it's said in jest. I hate social media. Everything anyone says, or has said, gets picked over with a fine tooth comb. It's getting ridiculous. I read once Frank Lampard was asked what one piece of advice he'd give a young pro at Chelsea. Of all the advice he could give do you know what he said 'steer clear of social media'. How right he was.
    No because I come from an apparently very angsty generation where we don't joke about domestic violence because of all the domestic violence that currently goes on.

From Women's Aide:
    For all those dismissing Neville’s tweets as harmless banter, the country’s leading domestic violence charity has a different – almost certainly better informed – take. Sian Hawkins, campaigns and public affairs manager at Women’s Aid, said: “This ‘banter’, when left unchallenged, can reaffirm outdated but still worryingly prevalent attitudes of men’s superiority over women. At the sharp end of that is domestic abuse. With an average of two women a week being killed by their partner or ex-partner in England and Wales, this isn’t just unfunny, it is extremely dangerous.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/24/fa-phil-neville-england-women-due-diligence-pr-mess
    I'd suggest wrapping yourself in tin foil and never entertain the thought of going to see a live comedian. At least not a funny one as you'll have a full body heamorrhage.

Miranda will be safe. Book tickets to see Miranda. She treads around martyrs pretty well, but the trade off is the act is devoid of any humour.
    Is Phil Neville a stand-up or am I missing something? If he was he seems stuck in the 1970s with his comments about women - should appeal to quite a few on here.

The FA are run by dinosaurs.
    So you're another that has taken the comments literally?

Fortunately for the sensible of us out there we won't let the discourse for comedy be controlled by fun sponges.
    I'm not taking them literally- I'm just saying they're pretty unfunny and you would have thought he'd have moved on. Posting stuff on social media is always dodgy if you're a public figure as it can be taken literally.

It's only 'dodgy' due to the way internet trolls and certain factions of society try to control the context behind what people say.

Bill Burr does a brilliant piece on this that highlights the madness of it all.

As for the 'moved on' bit, he had. It was others that dragged it all up again and applied their own context to what he said.
    When I say 'moved on' I mean in terms of humour - he seems stuck in the 70s. It's not the brightest thing to make jokes about domestic violence on social media.

Whether you like it or not social media is in the public domain and as a public figure you have to be wary of giving people ammunition.
    Those jokes are alive and well in 2018, thankfully.

Check out Bill Burr, Jimmy Jeffries, Kevin Hart and Dave Chapelle who are, in my eyes, the best out there. They must all be stuck in a 70's timewarp as well.
    If Phil Neville was a stand-up then there wouldn't be the debate but he's not and instead is an FA representative. Whether you like it or not that entails being careful what you say - that's part of the remit.

Some humour to me does seem stuck in the 70s - attitudes change. We all find different stuff funny and some stuff plain tedious.

I prefer stuff that's original or makes a point - I don't particularly rate the gems of Phil Neville.
    His material is a bit tired?

Whether you like it or not, people outside the circle of comedians can crack jokes. You don't have to find them funny. As you highlight, humour is subjective.

I don't know Phil's full repertoire of comedy so can't comment on his material being tired or not. All I've got to go on is one off the cuff comment that made me chuckle. I wouldn't want to judge his entire back catalogue until I'd had the pleasure of reading/listening to it all.

My comedy tastes are very much like yours. However, mine also expands to very close to the bone comedy and even some dark humour. Why? because I realise that it's only comedy and there are very few subjects that are off limits when it comes to comedy. Comedy is a pretty much a free arena. The day that gets curtailed because some people don't like the context they themselves have applied to someone elses joke is the day that comedy dies.
    I just made the point that someone like Phil Neville needs to be a bit more clued up when using social media - I'm sure even he would agree with that. It's not really so hard to understand - you want to avoid giving people ammunition in his position.

Social media is a load of old bollocks anyway...

• Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I've just seen his tweets where he jokes about how he just beat his wife and how women should be in the kitchen in the morning making breakfast. Sounds like a lovely guy.

Not everything posted on social media is meant to be literal. It's called humour.

There is nothing funny about beating your wife but he hasn't beaten his wife. Have you never said, for example, when your wife is going to give you a soaking with a hose 'do that and I'll give you a slap'. Doesn't mean you will and it's said in jest. I hate social media. Everything anyone says, or has said, gets picked over with a fine tooth comb. It's getting ridiculous. I read once Frank Lampard was asked what one piece of advice he'd give a young pro at Chelsea. Of all the advice he could give do you know what he said 'steer clear of social media'. How right he was.
    No because I come from an apparently very angsty generation where we don't joke about domestic violence because of all the domestic violence that currently goes on.

From Women's Aide:
    For all those dismissing Neville’s tweets as harmless banter, the country’s leading domestic violence charity has a different – almost certainly better informed – take. Sian Hawkins, campaigns and public affairs manager at Women’s Aid, said: “This ‘banter’, when left unchallenged, can reaffirm outdated but still worryingly prevalent attitudes of men’s superiority over women. At the sharp end of that is domestic abuse. With an average of two women a week being killed by their partner or ex-partner in England and Wales, this isn’t just unfunny, it is extremely dangerous.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/24/fa-phil-neville-england-women-due-diligence-pr-mess
    I'd suggest wrapping yourself in tin foil and never entertain the thought of going to see a live comedian. At least not a funny one as you'll have a full body heamorrhage.

Miranda will be safe. Book tickets to see Miranda. She treads around martyrs pretty well, but the trade off is the act is devoid of any humour.
    Is Phil Neville a stand-up or am I missing something? If he was he seems stuck in the 1970s with his comments about women - should appeal to quite a few on here.

Fortunately for the sensible of us out there we won't let the discourse for comedy be controlled by fun sponges.
    I'm not taking them literally- I'm just saying they're pretty unfunny and you would have thought he'd have moved on. Posting stuff on social media is always dodgy if you're a public figure as it can be taken literally.

It's only 'dodgy' due to the way internet trolls and certain factions of society try to control the context behind what people say.

As for the 'moved on' bit, he had. It was others that dragged it all up again and applied their own context to what he said.
    When I say 'moved on' I mean in terms of humour - he seems stuck in the 70s. It's not the brightest thing to make jokes about domestic violence on social media.

Whether you like it or not social media is in the public domain and as a public figure you have to be wary of giving people ammunition.

Check out Bill Burr, Jimmy Jeffries, Kevin Hart and Dave Chapelle who are, in my eyes, the best out there. They must all be stuck in a 70's timewarp as well.
    If Phil Neville was a stand-up then there wouldn't be the debate but he's not and instead is an FA representative. Whether you like it or not that entails being careful what you say - that's part of the remit.

Some humour to me does seem stuck in the 70s - attitudes change. We all find different stuff funny and some stuff plain tedious.

I prefer stuff that's original or makes a point - I don't particularly rate the gems of Phil Neville.

Whether you like it or not, people outside the circle of comedians can crack jokes. You don't have to find them funny. As you highlight, humour is subjective.

I don't know Phil's full repertoire of comedy so can't comment on his material being tired or not. All I've got to go on is one off the cuff comment that made me chuckle. I wouldn't want to judge his entire back catalogue until I'd had the pleasure of reading/listening to it all.

My comedy tastes are very much like yours. However, mine also expands to very close to the bone comedy and even some dark humour. Why? because I realise that it's only comedy and there are very few subjects that are off limits when it comes to comedy. Comedy is a pretty much a free arena. The day that gets curtailed because some people don't like the context they themselves have applied to someone elses joke is the day that comedy dies.
    I just made the point that someone like Phil Neville needs to be a bit more clued up when using social media - I'm sure even he would agree with that. It's not really so hard to understand - you want to avoid giving people ammunition in his position.

If only there was a platform that you could get that opinion across to a load of strangers on.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

From Women's Aide:

Couldn't agree more :smile:

• Options

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

From Women's Aide:

If only there was a platform that you could get that opinion across to a load of strangers on.
    Maybe social media?
  • Options
    The problem I foresee for Neville is, even if the tweets have been taken out of context, the team will not have the respect for him that he will command.

He needs to explain to each treacle that he didn’t mean it and get his wife, brother, sister and the Romanian fella he upended in the penalty box in the last minute of the Euro 2000 game causing us to lose 3-2 and to crash out of the competition to act as character witnesses for him.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

The problem I foresee for Neville is, even if the tweets have been taken out of context, the team will not have the respect for him that he will command.

He needs to explain to each treacle that he didn’t mean it and get his wife, brother, sister and the Romanian fella he upended in the penalty box in the last minute of the Euro 2000 game causing us to lose 3-2 and to crash out of the competition to act as character witnesses for him.

What about his dad, Neville Neville?
  • Options
    He was boring as hell as a player but I think this appointment will promote the women's game.

He is a high profile name and has won many trophies. Had a good spell with Everton too.

The tweet moaners are pathetic. Let it go.

As a manager Phil Neville is yet to be tested so he might be a load of bollocks.

He looks like the Irish manager from the famous film "bend it like beckham"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The irony of the outrage about the outrage is pretty fun.

Phil Neville is clearly a decent bloke, you only had to watch that BBC class of 92 thing to realise that, hugely positive and encouraging to his family. What he put on twitter was clearly a joke, but as someone in the public eye you just can't do that and not expect it to blow back.

The FA are the ones that have screwed up here in terms of process, and for what it's worth and I am no more or less likely to watch an England women's game now that Phil Neville is managing them.
  • Options

Phil Neville is clearly a decent bloke, you only had to watch that BBC class of 92 thing to realise that, hugely positive and encouraging to his family. What he put on twitter was clearly a joke, but as someone in the public eye you just can't do that and not expect it to blow back.

The FA are the ones that have screwed up here in terms of process, and for what it's worth and I am no more or less likely to watch an England women's game now that Phil Neville is managing them.

As I say all of the originally shortlisted six pulled out - that included Mo Marley, the interim manager, Emma Hayes at Chelsea Ladies and Nick Hayes at Man City. Not really sure what more they could do especially as they have stated that they want someone like Casey Stoney to work with Neville with a view to her eventually taking over.

On Tuesday evening Neville addressed the England Women's squad for the first time he apologised to them half way through for referring to them as "girls" to which the response was "don't be silly that's what we call each other". So has learnt something.
  • Options

As I say all of the originally shortlisted six pulled out - that included Mo Marley, the interim manager, Emma Hayes at Chelsea Ladies and Nick Hayes at Man City. Not really sure what more they could do especially as they have stated that they want someone like Casey Stoney to work with Neville with a view to her eventually taking over.

On Tuesday evening Neville addressed the England Women's squad for the first time he apologised to them half way through for referring to them as "girls" to which the response was "don't be silly that's what we call each other". So has learnt something.
    I didn't know that - why did they pull out - has it been said? I still think the optics of heading straight for a big name, bloke, without doing the simplest due diligence puts the FA at fault for the storm. We may not like the world we live in, but it is the world we live in.

Genuinely think the people that will care about this the least are the players - he's a coach with the relevant badges and has tremendous pedigree and profile, they'll give him all the respect he deserves.
  • Options

I didn't know that - why did they pull out - has it been said? I still think the optics of heading straight for a big name, bloke, without doing the simplest due diligence puts the FA at fault for the storm. We may not like the world we live in, but it is the world we live in.

Genuinely think the people that will care about this the least are the players - he's a coach with the relevant badges and has tremendous pedigree and profile, they'll give him all the respect he deserves.
    And surely the most important thing is what the players think, not some twitter trolls.
  • Options
    The moat important thing is that he does a good job - I wish him and the women/girls/ladies well.....
  • Options
    Where do I get off Earth???? Have I just read people have criticised them for calling them Ladies? It's gone too far. It worries me with the way the worlds going that by the time I die people will be able to marry pets in this country.
  • Options
    Pets?! PETS?! They're sentient beings I'll have you! Burn the leads and open the cages........ FREEDOM!
  • Options
    I think the best thing to do, would be for every male coach, manager,trainer, physio, chairman, administrator etc who is involved in the women's game to resign their roles.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I think the best thing to do, would be for every male coach, manager,trainer, physio, chairman, administrator etc who is involved in the women's game to resign their roles.

What about tea-men? Why can't there be tea-men eh? Got you there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2018

MrOneLung said:

There is an answer to that question. Reminds me of the times that my wife has suggested that I should help doing the teas to which I always reply "I'll do the teas if you do the Umpiring!"
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Colin Powell will help out.

He was a New England Tea Man.
  • Options

Pets?! PETS?! They're sentient beings I'll have you! Burn the leads and open the cages........ FREEDOM!

The most beautifulest thing you’ve ever posted on here @i_b_b_o_r_g . I’m proud of you.

• Options
    Not a bad start. 1st game and currently 4-0 up against France
  • Options
    Was watching the game it was a brilliant performace
    3-0 up at halftime, alot if people talking about France playing into the wind and the 2nd half would be a different story
    1 minute into 2nd half and Kirby made it 4-0

Only 2 downsides for England would be conceding a goal and injury to Anita Asante, first England game for 5 years and she was taken off injured(she has had ACL problems recently)
  • Options
    Proponents of the women's game had best not see the two goals England conceded today. You see the first and think 'how can it get any worse than this?'

It can
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Proponents of the women's game had best not see the two goals England conceded today. You see the first and think 'how can it get any worse than this?'

It can

Done well the twice come from behind and get draw, stay top of the group with just USA to play aswell
  • Options
    Oh yeah, England's goals were nicely taken and clearly they played well for the most part. The two they conceded though were...I mean the second one. I can't even