Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Phil Neville England Women's new coach

Comments

• He was England u21 assistant manager and has a pro license. Saying he has no experience and is underqualified is ridiculous
  • mrbligh said:

He was England u21 assistant manager and has a pro license. Saying he has no experience and is underqualified is ridiculous

So you'd be okay if he got the England men's job then?
  • SDAddick said:

mrbligh said:

He was England u21 assistant manager and has a pro license. Saying he has no experience and is underqualified is ridiculous

Well no, assistant manager at England U21 to England womens manager is a step down not up.
  • SDAddick said:

mrbligh said:

It's not the England mens job though is it?

An example of how a man can transfer into womens football....

Man city women's manager - didn't even know man city had a womens team before he got the job. He was an academy coach at man city. Currently played 6 won 6 in the league and is in the league cup final.

• SDAddick said:

mrbligh said:

Are you seriously suggesting the two jobs are even close to being comparable?
  • SDAddick said:

mrbligh said:

Are you seriously suggesting the two jobs are even close to being comparable?
    Id say the closest comparison between the mens game to it is England C head coach.
  • Right so it boils down to "the women should be so lucky to have a successful male footballer as their coach."

Cool. Got it. Thanks.
  • SDAddick said:

Right so it boils down to "the women should be so lucky to have a successful male footballer as their coach."

Cool. Got it. Thanks.

Weird.
  • edited January 2018
  • SDAddick said:

Right so it boils down to "the women should be so lucky to have a successful male footballer as their coach."

Cool. Got it. Thanks.

Would any man have been an acceptable appointment?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2018

SDAddick said:

Cool. Got it. Thanks.

Would any man have been an acceptable appointment?
    I listed two very qualified men on the last page (Parsons and Riley). And Parsons coaches the team I support, so I would hate for him to leave. But the fact of the matter is he's far, far, far more qualified.

"The argument here is not that Phil Neville shouldn't get the job because he's a man. It's that he shouldn't get the job because he's wholly unqualified. He has little experience (none successful) in coaching, and most importantly he has zero experience in the women's game, which is different. "
  • Guess he will be ultimately judged by results the same as any manager.

If former coach Mark Sampson had been judged on results, he'd still be in the job!!!
  • The best two games i have seen in the last year were Liverpool v Man city when the attacking play was superb and the defending was poor in the men's game. Also Chelsea v Arsenal when the attacking was superb and the defending was average in the woman's game. 4-3 and 3-2. Deep rooted views about females playing football, cricket, rugby etc will take generations to change. Of course the goalkeeping is average in the female game. There just aren't enough 6 foot woman who play football. Tennis, swimming or netball attract these Amazon's. Trivial info on Phil Neville ? He stated to Mark Chapman on 5 live last year that he had never made himself a cup of a coffee until a few months before ! Chapman was gobsmacked. His female servant must of phoned in sick.

If former coach Mark Sampson had been judged on results, he'd still be in the job!!!
    Yeah......and Allardyce
  • Plenty of well qualified women coaches that should and could have been appointed ahead of any man. It’s a kick in the teeth for what women have achieved in football.

Yes PN is qualified for the job it’s just he shouldn’t have got it.
  • The FA are stupid to appoint in this way.
    Particularly given how the last manager was sacked.
    Particularly as they are talking of Rooney's rule for the male game.
    I doubt it'll end well.
  • Let him crack on I say so we don’t have to hear his nasal tones while butchering commentary.
  • I've just seen his tweets where he jokes about how he just beat his wife and how women should be in the kitchen in the morning making breakfast. Sounds like a lovely guy.
  • If he just simply has gender reassignment surgery all the bollocks will disappear. Problem solved.

• Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

I've just seen his tweets where he jokes about how he just beat his wife and how women should be in the kitchen in the morning making breakfast. Sounds like a lovely guy.

Give it a rest you saddo.

The bizarre thing about the squad for the Euro's that Sampson picked was the youngest player was 23. When Scott who is the Jordan Cousins of the midfield was suspended from the semi final against a young pacey Dutch team, Mark Sampson picked a slow player to replace her and England hardly got a kick. His record was decent but he always got found out when England went deep into a competition. His tactics against a mediocre Japanese team in the World cup semi final was strange. But the fact is like Hoddle and big Sam he lost the job for non football result reasons.
  • edited January 2018
    There is probably a lot to be said for having a coach who has no links with the women's game. It is likely that person is going to be a man unfortunately, but somebody with experience of the top of the men's game may look at things in the women's more critically. The England women's team have made massive strides, but I think they can go further. Maybe Neville is a good choice to help them do that - if not he will not be short of critics.

I think there are probably three or four players that could be technically better, and with a whole new generation of girls getting better coaching, those that need improving need challenging. The women's game doesn't need complacency/

• More bad news for the new England Women's head coach as his plans for the first training session are leaked...
  • SDAddick said:

I've just seen his tweets where he jokes about how he just beat his wife and how women should be in the kitchen in the morning making breakfast. Sounds like a lovely guy.

I thought it was a parody account SD
  • edited January 2018

SDAddick said:

Not everything posted on social media is meant to be literal. It's called humour.

I very much doubt Neville is a wife beating misogynist.

Get some perspective people ffs. Generation anxt.
    Oh tell me more about these jokes you speak of.

What's funny about beating your wife?
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Not everything posted on social media is meant to be literal. It's called humour.

There is nothing funny about beating your wife but he hasn't beaten his wife. Have you never said, for example, when your wife is going to give you a soaking with a hose 'do that and I'll give you a slap'. Doesn't mean you will and it's said in jest. I hate social media. Everything anyone says, or has said, gets picked over with a fine tooth comb. It's getting ridiculous. I read once Frank Lampard was asked what one piece of advice he'd give a young pro at Chelsea. Of all the advice he could give do you know what he said 'steer clear of social media'. How right he was.
  • edited January 2018

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

There is nothing funny about beating your wife but he hasn't beaten his wife. Have you never said, for example, when your wife is going to give you a soaking with a hose 'do that and I'll give you a slap'. Doesn't mean you will and it's said in jest. I hate social media. Everything anyone says, or has said, gets picked over with a fine tooth comb. It's getting ridiculous. I read once Frank Lampard was asked what one piece of advice he'd give a young pro at Chelsea. Of all the advice he could give do you know what he said 'steer clear of social media'. How right he was.
    No because I come from an apparently very angsty generation where we don't joke about domestic violence because of all the domestic violence that currently goes on.

From Women's Aide:
    For all those dismissing Neville’s tweets as harmless banter, the country’s leading domestic violence charity has a different – almost certainly better informed – take. Sian Hawkins, campaigns and public affairs manager at Women’s Aid, said: “This ‘banter’, when left unchallenged, can reaffirm outdated but still worryingly prevalent attitudes of men’s superiority over women. At the sharp end of that is domestic abuse. With an average of two women a week being killed by their partner or ex-partner in England and Wales, this isn’t just unfunny, it is extremely dangerous.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jan/24/fa-phil-neville-england-women-due-diligence-pr-mess