Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Neville England Women's new coach

Comments

• Options
    SDAddick said:

Philip John Neville

6 x Premier League Titles
    3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

All won at the highest level a professional footballer can play at.

Zero experience and the old boys network? Do me a favour. Neville has more experience at the highest possible level of football than pretty much the entire coaching staff in the women's game. That's not me trying to sound detrimental, just stating an uncomfortable truth.

I don't get all this man hate that seems to emanate from the pores of people if a man is hired in a role that some, personally, believe should be ring-fenced for a woman.

Good luck, Phil, and I hope you can pass on your wealth of experience to, potentially, improve the game you've stepped in to.

Haters still gonna hate, though, right?

Zero experience IN THE WOMEN'S GAME which is where he's just been given the most important job in the country.

This is maybe the best indicator that the FA think of the women's game as second class citizens.
    Or maybe the THE FA thinking Phil Neville’s a respected footballer and coach. He can help the women’s team improve.

So what if he had no experience in the women’s game? It’s not hard to instruct your players to shoot from any distance as the goalkeepers are shite.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

His historical tweets are going down a treat!

Twitter trolls out in force.

No need for the totally unwarranted and indefensible hate pouring out from online cockwombles.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Just three questions:

1. What is it about the Women's game that makes it so different from the men's game?

2. Was there a similarly qualified and experienced Woman able to do the job? If so, who?

3. Is it likely that Neville will surround himself with nothing but his mates or will he use someone like Casey Stoney to enable her to, potentially, take over one day?
  • Options

Kap10 said:

No need for the totally unwarranted and indefensible hate pouring out from online cockwombles.
    Could say its double standards from the FA though... Andre Gray posts stupid tweets when he's a kid and gets banned... Phil Neville does the same when he's an adult and gets nothing

Of course he was joking when he made the comment, but just saying...
  • Options

Kap10 said:

Could say its double standards from the FA though... Andre Gray posts stupid tweets when he's a kid and gets banned... Phil Neville does the same when he's an adult and gets nothing

Of course he was joking when he made the comment, but just saying...
    I'd like to think that all reasonable minded, normal human beings also picked up on the blatantly obvious joke.

That said, you're not allowed to joke on Twitter as the millions of idiots that frequent it don't do humour around certain subjects.

Sad narrative controllers are strong with that medium.
  • Options
    I’m for one am disgusted that a black, disabled, lesbian didn’t get the job. Outrage!!!!!
  • Options
    Surprised the FA can moralise about the Rooney rule, then completely ignore it, or any other kind of recruitment procedure. It smacks of the old boy network being alive and well and still thriving in England.
  • Options
    I think it is a job that needs a long term view. The women's game has come on a lot, but standards can get even higher. I think they will as more and more girls are playing the game. The easiest win is focusing a lot of resources in keeper training. I think most women keepers look technically poor. This is not a fault of their sex, but the coaching available to them. For a modest outlay the FA could address this - and Neville needs to be pushing for this sort of intervention where the easy wins are.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is citing the gender of previous winning managers a safe route to go down? I mean, you wouldn't cite the race of previous winning managers to make a case for appointing someone, would you?

It'd be like Premier League teams only looking to employ Scottish managers after Alex Ferguson retired as the stats were skewed that way.
  • Options
    can't believe in all the fuss. at the end of the day it's women's football, who cares?
  • Options
    Will he teach em the stepover?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

He's getting a lot of stick on Twitter apparently. 5Live reporting he is being criticised for continually referring to the players as "girls or ladies" instead of women in interviews. They will be discussing it after the City/City match.

The teams should really be called more appropriate things like "The England Treacles" "The Scotland Morag's" "The Polish Brass' " etc etc
  • Options
    If he's really being criticised for what Riv said, he's better off jacking before he even starts
  • Options

If he's really being criticised for what Riv said, he's better off jacking before he even starts

You're right. He should.

;-)
  • Options
    Just to report that I'm here

• Options
    Redrobo said:

The main issue is that he did not submit an application nor register his interest. His name was mooted at some function and he was then approached.

An announcement regarding his appointment was made on Twitter this evening. Unfortunately not on the Women's Football account but the Men's!

Stupid decision not to follow a proper recruitment procedure. Really devalues the post.
    Should've consulted Katrien for how to conduct a proper recruitment procedure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

can't believe in all the fuss. at the end of the day it's women's football, who cares?

FA press release?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

He's getting a lot of stick on Twitter apparently. 5Live reporting he is being criticised for continually referring to the players as "girls or ladies" instead of women in interviews. They will be discussing it after the City/City match.

Managers frequently refer to their players as boys/lads, as in "the boys put in a great shift today". What's the problem with girls? Some people ffs...

• Options

The main issue is that he did not submit an application nor register his interest. His name was mooted at some function and he was then approached.

An announcement regarding his appointment was made on Twitter this evening. Unfortunately not on the Women's Football account but the Men's!

That's the FA for you. a shitfest of an organisation. Re: the appointment, it would've been good had it gone to a woman, but I'll be honest I know very little about women's football and if there were any suitable candidates ahead of Neville (there may be, I don't know). Agree with @Big_Bad_World re; his credentials as a player, but if I recall his career in coaching and management has pretty poor.

Interesting some of the other comments about more qualified managers maybe going for it as a way to revive their career. Do they view women's football as a way of doing that? Speaking from a purely personal point of view, you'd have to pay me to watch it, as I don't find absorbing at all. But I will say that I don't like Rugby Union, nor would I watch a game in the Chinese Super League. It's just not of interest to me.

I know how good some of the women are that play the game are and what they've achieved, it just doesn't do it for me at all.
  • Options
    PC obsessives love to 'move the goalposts' regarding acceptable language in order to enable them to 'shut down debate with bigots' when their dictatorial views are questioned.

The late great Conrad Hunte, a black West Indian cricketer I was privileged to meet on a few occasions and bowl at once, referred to 'coloured people' in his excellent autobiography "Playing To Win."

Yet PC obsessives berate anyone using the term 'coloured people' and say the correct terminology is 'black.'

I'm confused though because the presenter of 'Front Row' on Radio 4 last night when discussing the upcoming Oscars referred to 'people of colour' on more than one occasion.

Phil Neville should simply ignore these dictatorial zealots as should everybody else. God only knows how they have gained such control over the conversational agenda.
  • Options
    People of colour is a phrase that's used quite often in the media these days. I guess it's a bit vague so just means anyone who isn't white. Alan Hansen said coloured and everyone went nuts about it! For the record, my wife and three children are all people of colour.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

PC obsessives love to 'move the goalposts' regarding acceptable language in order to enable them to 'shut down debate with bigots' when their dictatorial views are questioned.

The late great Conrad Hunte, a black West Indian cricketer I was privileged to meet on a few occasions and bowl at once, referred to 'coloured people' in his excellent autobiography "Playing To Win."

Yet PC obsessives berate anyone using the term 'coloured people' and say the correct terminology is 'black.'

I'm confused though because the presenter of 'Front Row' on Radio 4 last night when discussing the upcoming Oscars referred to 'people of colour' on more than one occasion.

Phil Neville should simply ignore these dictatorial zealots as should everybody else. God only knows how they have gained such control over the conversational agenda.

Len swallowed a daily mail style guide, and threw the words up on the screen.
  • Options

Philip John Neville

6 x Premier League Titles
    3 x FA Cups
    3 x Charity Shields
    1 x Champions League
    1 x Intercontinental Cup

59 x England Caps

All won at the highest level a professional footballer can play at.

Zero experience and the old boys network? Do me a favour. Neville has more experience at the highest possible level of football than pretty much the entire coaching staff in the women's game. That's not me trying to sound detrimental, just stating an uncomfortable truth.

I don't get all this man hate that seems to emanate from the pores of people if a man is hired in a role that some, personally, believe should be ring-fenced for a woman.

Good luck, Phil, and I hope you can pass on your wealth of experience to, potentially, improve the game you've stepped in to.

Haters still gonna hate, though, right?

Bet he aint listed on ImDB though

;)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

He's getting a lot of stick on Twitter apparently. 5Live reporting he is being criticised for continually referring to the players as "girls or ladies" instead of women lads in interviews. They will be discussing it after the City/City match.

Specially for my main mucker, @Leuth

;)
  • Options
    Give it to Gabriella Benson
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    1. What is it about the Women's game that makes it so different from the men's game?

Far more technical and tactical. Slower. Less physical but not by as much as some believe.

2. Was there a similarly qualified and experienced Woman able to do the job? If so, who?

Laura Harvey. Mark Parsons. Paul Riley. All three English. The latter two the last two winners of NWSL here in the States. Harvey a very well respected coach and former member of the England youth set up. These are just NWSL coaches that I can think of off the top of my head.

3. Is it likely that Neville will surround himself with nothing but his mates or will he use someone like Casey Stoney to enable her to, potentially, take over one day?

A coach with experience in the women's game,
    or even, god forbid, in coaching in general (not counting nepotism jobs at Salford City, Valencia,
    and arguably Man United), could do the same. Again,
    it's not like Phil Neville has some sort of guru status as a coach or manager.

And before you say "he was a good player in the men's game" Diego Maradona, Gazza, Robson, Shearer, Ince,
    Tony Adams (speaking of nepotistic opportunities), etc.

The argument here is not that Phil Neville shouldn't get the job because he's a man. It's that he shouldn't get the job because he's wholly unqualified. He has little experience (none successful) in coaching, and most importantly he has zero experience in the women's game, which is different.

Think about it this way, what would you say if Steph Houghton were appointed the men's coach?

Or even imagine if Phil Neville were given the men's team job.