Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strikers Who Turned into Defenders. And Josh.

edited January 2018 in General Charlton
Having watched Josh Magennis's struggles up front this season (and for some of last season too) I've noticed over the last few matches that he's looking increasingly accomplished when helping out the defense. His defending of set pieces has been exceptional. So I got to thinking, would he make a decent centre back, or even full back, given his ability to play on the wing?
Whatever you think of his ability as a striker no one can doubt that he gives 100%, and he's not easily knocked off the ball.

Remember Gary Doherty? Before playing for us and Norwich as a defender he was a decent striker for Spurs.

Marcus Gayle and Dion Dublin are two others that fell back on defending later in their careers.

Could Josh find a new lease of life in the defense? Obviously the likelihood is that he wouldn't want to, so this is purely hypothetical.

Comments

• don't forget he started out as a goalkeeper
  • Opposite of Bartram.
  • Do a swap with Sarr. Can't be any worse with the pair of them!
  • Always said we should have converted Shaun Bartlett to a defender, think he would have made a brilliant centre half or whatever they are called now.
  • edited January 2018
    King Arthur finished the 74/75 promotion season at centre half. Still didn't stop him scoring the equaliser away at Peterborough in April 75. Only my 2nd away game outside of the capital.

Was in my usual position behind the goal and had my hand stamped on by one of the many Charlton boot boys as they ran across the pitch pre game to take the London Road end.
  • Not for Charlton obviously, but Laurent Blanc started as an attacking midfielder
  • edited January 2018
    Horsfield & Ronnie Moore both played in the 2 positions for us.
  • Being able to head a ball is only a small part of the art of defending. We don't need a clumsy strikers challenge in dangerous areas Josh has never struck me as a decent tackler
  • Would be an OK FB
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

Being able to head a ball is only a small part of the art of defending. We don't need a clumsy strikers challenge in dangerous areas Josh has never struck me as a decent tackler

Agreed. It's one thing heading out corners (and Magennis is probably the best at this) but tackling, tracking, concentration, positional play and communication are also key.
  • Slightly off topic here, but I personally don't think Josh is struggling, I think he went through a purple patch at the beginning of the season and has now regressed to the mean. I have nothing against Josh, and believe him to be a good honest professional, however I am off the belief that he will never be consistent enough to warrant being a first choice striker - or at least one that has to lead the line - at our level.

I think that it is pretty obvious that our struggles as a whole as a team have coincided with Josh's goal drought (though I am loath to call it this as throughout his career you can see he is not a '1 in a 2' striker'), and when a member of the coaching staff is publicly discussing how are striker is helping us defend set pieces you know something is up.
  • What about the other way around?
    Am I imagining it or did Thierry Henry once play full back for France before becoming a goal machine? Gareth Bale too.
  • Slightly off topic here, but I personally don't think Josh is struggling, I think he went through a purple patch at the beginning of the season and has now regressed to the mean. I have nothing against Josh, and believe him to be a good honest professional, however I am off the belief that he will never be consistent enough to warrant being a first choice striker - or at least one that has to lead the line - at our level.

I think that it is pretty obvious that our struggles as a whole as a team have coincided with Josh's goal drought (though I am loath to call it this as throughout his career you can see he is not a '1 in a 2' striker'), and when a member of the coaching staff is publicly discussing how are striker is helping us defend set pieces you know something is up.

Correlation not causation.

Josh's lack of goals has happened as the whole team has lost form, our best players have got injured and those left have been over played.
  • edited January 2018
    Paul Went played both ends for us.
  • Doherty scored 4 in 64 for Spurs... Not sure this thread is actually that great for making your point.

What about the other way around?
    Am I imagining it or did Thierry Henry once play full back for France before becoming a goal machine? Gareth Bale too.

You're correct. A lot of decent strikers come from defenders, they learn to take players on and build their game from the back, before generally moving up pitch.

Ronaldo was a fullback at youth level briefly too.

Chris Sutton was a centre half before switching to striker. That worked out pretty well.
  • Taxi_Lad said:

Being able to head a ball is only a small part of the art of defending. We don't need a clumsy strikers challenge in dangerous areas Josh has never struck me as a decent tackler

Can't remember him making that many, but good point.
  • I think he's a better winger than a striker.
  • Rio Ferdinand. Played as a striker throughout his childhood in the Bexley and district Leagues and only switched to being a centre half when he was picked up by West ham after being given his first chance at QPR (Les brought him in for a trial from Eltham Town, along with a few others).
  • Sponsored links:

• How many professional footballers have gone from being outfield players to goalkeepers?

Genuine question
  • Always said we should have converted Shaun Bartlett to a defender, think he would have made a brilliant centre half or whatever they are called now.

I agree that he was always excellent when called in to defend set pieces but don't forget he was also a very good forward; certainly one of the best headers of the ball I saw playing for Charlton.
  • paul warhurst -shef wed and blackburn

Bale started his career as a LB, Spurs nearly sold him cheaply as they didn't play him then had to play him as LM for a few games and kicked on from there
  • edited January 2018
    Carter said:

How many professional footballers have gone from being outfield players to goalkeepers?

Genuine question

Don't know any that play professional but Ederson started out as a midfielder in his youth and so did Neuer
  • I always thought Carl Leaburn would have been a good centre half
  • Surely the most famous is Kenny Burns...

Ugly striker, signed by Clough at Forest, converted to a centre back, PFA player of the year, and European Cup winner.
  • Chris Sutton started as a centre half. Gary Doherty has been known to play up front and Cliff Holton, I am fairly sure, played at centre half on occasions.
  • Magennis is certainly very useful at defending set pieces, indeed you sometime wonder if it's this which is keeping him in the team...