Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Royal Navy Surgeon-Captain Rick Jolly RIP

This man deserves an RIP

The only person to receive an award from both the British and Argentine governments for saving many of lives during the Falklands War died over the weekend.

Comments

• Options
    Didn't he also write the definitive book of Naval slang ?
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Didn't he also write the definitive book of Naval slang ?

Yes, ‘Jackspeak’.
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP......Sir.......RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Jack.
  • Options
    No injured soldier (from either side) who made it to Jolly's field hospital died - all survived - the conditions he and his staff had to work in were not great - some of those injured had terrible life changing wounds (incl I believe SImon Weston) - RIP sir, you are definitely a hero
  • Options
    Proper hero. RIP
  • Options

Proper hero. RIP

Yet if you look at the Regis RIP he has 74 comments, while this one has lass than 10 for a true legend and hero
  • Options
    RIP and thank you
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

RIP
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Proper hero. RIP

Yet if you look at the Regis RIP he has 74 comments, while this one has lass than 10 for a true legend and hero
    Sadly, to quote the title of another thread, 'an so it ever was.'

I suppose on a football forum it should not come as a surprise that the death of an eminent footballer attracts a lot of comment but your point is a good one.

RIP Royal Navy Surgeon Captain Rick Jolly.
  • Options
    RIP.

I'm always impressed by those who can save lives in the most difficult of circumstances, especially war.
  • Options
    RIP Rick
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    R.I.P
  • Options
    cafckev said:

Proper hero. RIP

No-one here had ever heard of him before today - we all knew who Cyrille Regis was - it's a football forum...
  • Options
    RIP. I'd never heard of him, but remember the Falklands War, but why wasn't he better known? He certainly deserved to be.
  • Options
    RIP Sir and thank you for your service.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

cafckev said:

Proper hero. RIP

No-one here had ever heard of him before today - we all knew who Cyrille Regis was - it's a football forum...
    I had.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I read a few books about the Falklands war and Rick Jolly cropped up several times. The survival rate would be amazing in a fully equipped hospital but what he and his team did in makeshift conditions was nothing short of miraculous.

RIP
  • Options
    RIP. An amazing man, it does beg the question why he was never knighted when you have actors, pop stars & failed politicians receiving them.
  • Options
    Great man RIP Captain
  • Options
    Jolly wrote his own account of the Falklands in a short book that I read years ago and remember being fantastic called (I think) 'The Red and Green life machine '. If I remember correctly I think at one point he and his team carried out surgery in the makeshift hospital with an unexploded bomb in the room next door!

A genuine hero.

Thanks to the OP for this thread as I might have missed his death otherwise.
  • Options
    RIP