Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carillion....

Am I the only one never to have heard of this mega huge company until a few days ago????

Comments

• Options
    Nope, me neither.
  • Options
    I hadn't heard of it until you started this thread.
  • Options
    I had shares in them many years ago & made a tidy profit.
  • Options
    I've worked on a few of their sites over the years
  • Options
    Nope, never heard of them.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    C**ts.
    Will probably do a Virgin. And they're c**ts too.
  • Options
    Someone's just got in from the boozer
  • Options
    Are you stalKing me Rob?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it too late to say i'm sorry ?
  • Options
    I work for a massive company that you’ll all know and a few years ago worked for a dept that went up against these on quite a few contracts and was told by some of our bosses at the time that we “just can’t compete with the likes of Carillion”

They have around 20,000 staff, I’m sure the govt will help them out, after all they did it for the banks right?
  • Options
    They hold the contracts for all maintenance and decoration of the army bases around the uk.
  • Options

They hold the contracts for all maintenance and decoration of the army bases around the uk.

I can see the argument now... "If you don't bail us out, the terrorists win!"
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    They owe the company I work for, over £100k.
  • Options
    Yeah I've heard of them... Cant remember where I've heard the name though - Like people prior have said, they're huge and is one I've heard in passing
  • Options
    Loads of my mates work for them on the tracks, they get good money to spend 1/2 a shift asleep in the van.
  • Options
    Seen a few of their jobs. Usually slow as f*** to get anything done. But when you're on a decent day rate and nobody (in council/government)really gives a shit about what or how you're doing things why would you speed up.

Classic example of the public sector gravy train at its finest.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Just gone into liquidation. Can't wait to see the reaction once the LSE opens.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like "Carry On" would have been a better name.

Oooerr missus!
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    If any Carillion surveyors are looking for work please inbox me.
  • Options
    Feel for everyone who works for them and it has just fucked my sipp up no end.
  • Options

Am I the only one never to have heard of this mega huge company until a few days ago????

It was formed by a demerger of the construction business from the original Tarmac plc. If that helps.

(Tarmac - the building materials business still exists as a subsidiary of CRH plc.)
  • Options
    One of their offshoot companies does a massive amount of civil construction work for BT's Openreach division. Rollout of broadband to remote rural areas is hugely constrained by the availability of skilled construction workers to dig the trenches and put in manholes and junction boxes. It's a national labour shortage that the whole industry is struggling with. If Carillion go pop, it will have significant knock-ons here, as I am sure it will in many other places. Others will eventually take up the slack and re-employ the majority of the workforce but it will present a big short to medium term problem.
  • Options
    They have some real juicy contracts which other companies will take over and do very nicely out of. And a load of undervalued contracts which the government, (us the tax payers), will have to help out with a few bob.
    Company's like these subcontract and then subcontract some more down to the one man band spark or painter who come the end of the week will be knocked for their money by those further up the food chain.